COVID-19: Chapter 7 - Brags, Beats, and Variants

I reckon the BBC are aiming the ‘rare blood clot’ at your average person taking the jab, who probably isn’t a doctor. Maybe ‘rare blood clot’ sounds better to those considering the vaccine, as opposed to say ‘may cause brain hemorrhage’ or similar.

I just switch off when the docs use long words - i get the idea of a blood clot

I get not wanting to use too much medical terminology, but it wouldn’t hurt to mention if they’re talking about isolated cerebral vein thrombosis again.

1 Like

or splanchnic vein thrombosis

I haven’t read the article, but I’m pretty sure they are. Maybe they’re not what comes to your mind when someone says “brain disease”, but to describe them as such is not inaccurate.

Don’t we have a pro around here? Surf? Maybe @Surf can help us out.

Here’s the BBC version

Anxiety and mood disorders were the most common diagnosis among those with Covid, and these were more likely to be down to the stress of the experience of being very ill or taken to hospital, the researchers explained.

Conditions like stroke and dementia were more likely to be down to the biological impacts of the virus itself, or of the body’s reaction to infection in general.

Prof Dame Til Wykes, at the Institute of Psychiatry, Psychology and Neuroscience, King’s College London, said: "The study confirms our suspicions that a Covid-19 diagnosis is not just related to respiratory symptoms, it is also related to psychiatric and neurological problems.

"Looking over six months after diagnosis has demonstrated that the “after-effects” can appear much later than expected - something that is no surprise to those suffering from Long Covid.

“Although as expected, the outcomes are more serious in those admitted to hospital, the study does point out that serious effects are also evident in those who had not been admitted to hospital.”

So kids are all going back to full classrooms in Fall?

There’s no firm definition of ‘long covid’. However, we know that people who are critically ill suffer a wide variety of consequences even if they survive. The concern from many people was that people with mild courses of covid suffering from ‘brain fog’ and weakness for months on end. There’s very little support for that.

Yeah it is also 3 dead out of 2.1 million vaccinated in Michigan, all over 65, all relatively close to the time the vaccine was administered (think three weeks). I wish they didnt die but really changes zero about how I think about the vax

But that’s kind of the point. In a headline, the technical definition isn’t relevant. It’s the meaning that’s conveyed. People don’t think anxiety when thinking brain disease. They think of neurodegenerative diseases like Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s.

Brain disease was deliberately chosen to shock and scare people. Then to go from that to connecting anxiety and personality disorders to them the article as though they’re all the same as really ignorant.

Still haven’t read the article, but, if anything, I think the problem is that people don’t consider those things “brain disease”. There would probably be a lot less stigma associated with mental illness if people didn’t think of them as less of a brain disease than someone having a stroke.

I’ll concur with CN.

Serious case of Covid and you have lasting health effects is not “long covid”

Rather Long Covid is things people are claiming that are people that had mild to asymptotic cases with nebulous connection to the known disease factors.

My wife’s Uncle that has poor long elasticity is not long cousin.

Her cousin that wasn’t really sick but has fatigue and brain fog 5 months later- that’s long Covid.

Concur?

2 Likes

Some of those long covid people in articles were marathon runners and fitness instructors and stuff. Super motivated, super active people. I find it hard to believe they suddenly came down with psychosomatic chronic fatigue syndrome-type conditions.

They literally talk about trying to push themselves a little too hard and then being in severe pain the next day.

The Swedish guy I know ran half marathons and stuff said his “lungs hurt” if he tried to jog a mile. 6 months later he said he’s getting back to close to normal. He wasn’t hospitalized but did get pretty sick for a few days. Are we including him in our psychosomatic category?

My friend, who didn’t get super sick, still can’t taste 3 months later. That’s neurological. Are we saying she’s making that up? I’m not being snarky I’m just trying to ascertain which people we’re putting the long-haul myth category.

2 Likes

There was that one story about the woman who had a fever of like 103 for like 5 months. That’s an example of what I think we commonly think of as “long covid.” Weird symptoms that just persist. Not just “you almost died and now have serious lung damage for the rest of your life.”

Elite athletes experiencing pleuritic pain and not being able to hit prior peak performance is not long covid. I can explain that quite easily, they likely have ground glass opacities in their lungs and reduced tidal volumes. That irritation also hurts. Those changes to your lungs persist for some time as well.

Losing taste isn’t ‘long covid’ either. The fact that covid can affect cranial nerves, like a multitude of other viruses, isn’t good evidence for ‘brain fog’

Last March, she noticed that she couldn’t taste or smell anything, following a week of flu-like symptoms.

It was the start of a month of “hell”, stuck at home with her flatmate who was also suffering with the virus.

The 31-year-old spent much of that month terrified, as she struggled to catch a breath. Doctors told her not to go to hospital because she didn’t have a fever or cough, so she waited it out at home.

Just got my 2nd shot. Holy shit, it fucking hurt.

6 Likes

Yes I wish there were good definitions but it’s science and medicine in real time.

You had known damage and the damage persists vs the overall cluster of vague stuff.

From my personal standpoint, it’s not a judgement that people are imagining things and I’m certain that several of these will be found to have known physiology. Others will not.

Escape what prosecutions?