COVID-19: Chapter 7 - Brags, Beats, and Variants

The vaccine is just like any other new technology. Some people will be early adopters and some people will be skeptics who want to see what happens first.

The particular reasoning isn’t important. This is just the way that the masses flow.

Wish they wouldn’t just limit it to New Yorkers.

Vaccinespotter says that there are a bazillion appointments tomorrow in Champlain. It’s only an hour away from me.

Well if they decide that people below a certain age can get the 2nd dose at one’s own risk I am not sure what I am going to do. Would depend what they advise regarding a switch to Biontech after getting the first Astra dose. Not really keen on getting J&J or Sputnik.

No vaccine blood clot cases in Wales, study finds

No cases of blood clots have been found in more than 440,000 people who have been vaccinated against coronavirus in Wales, a study has shown.

Research by Swansea University health data experts looked at vaccinations up to January with 180,000 AstraZeneca doses and 260,000 Pfizer-BioNtech.

It follows concerns around Europe which led to some countries pausing their use of the AstraZeneca jab.

The vaccine has been declared safe by the World Health Organization.

The focus of the study was to understand whether reports of a small number of rare blood clotting disorders reported in Norway and Germany had also been observed in vaccinated individuals in Wales.

Here’s more about what the study found.

So 2/3rds of the expert say that everything is going to just start over again in less than a year? WTF.

Two-thirds thought that we had “a year or less before the virus mutates to the extent that the majority of first-generation vaccines are rendered ineffective and new or modified vaccines are required.”

Why the fuck are they giving two doses of moderna/pfzer to everyone instead of one does if they really believe that?

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-03-30/who-chief-critiques-covid-report-says-lab-leak-study-needed

1 Like

Are any of them in the medical field?

This isnt really new news is it? We’ve expected we will need boosters for a while. I dont think it puts us back to square one.

No.

This adjustment is already happening in Canada, my wife’s second shot was postponed indefinitely. This is driven mostly by vaccine shortage desperation, but still.

I’d take that as a sign I need to enlarge/edit my circle of friends (same as when a couple of idiots started pro-Brexit rants a few years back).

Nah. They’re not adamantly anti or anything. Well…it’s the working class not college educated Hispanic demographic that I know that is resistant to getting it. There have been no rants. Yesterday I was lobbying a friend, especially to try to get his mom and step-dad to get it.

2 Likes

Extensive, effective vaccination also lowers the rate at which mutants will emerge.

2 Likes

And also mutations might just mean vaccinated people get sick, not deadly sick. Life goes on pretty normal with some getting seasonal flu shots and some not.

Another thing people are forgetting when looking at people who don’t want to get vaxxed - a lot of them have already had covid - which isn’t full immunity, but it’s also not a virgin field to plow through either.

I think in 2-3 months cases we’ll really start to plummet. Once you’ve had a month of vaccines open to the public, then another month for immunity to kick in.

1 Like

Someone make it stop

1 Like

Why? That’s how immunity works. It’s overwhelmingly thought that infection will confer some level of immunity for some amount of time after recovery.

But the flip side of that is that some of the people who were vaccinated have already had covid and were probably immune.

I said make it stop, not continue more nonsense. Someone else can spoon feed you only to have you spit it in their face.

3 Likes