COVID-19: Chapter 7 - Brags, Beats, and Variants

1 Like

Really fucking tilting that they haven’t opened up vaccinations to everyone when demand is obviously not there currently. Looks like we are headed towards around 55-60% of the adult US population getting vaccinated.

I doubt there is going to be any demand for the oxford vaccine in the USA.

Good.

ETA there’s a post divorce handbags fight between the EU and UK that wouldn’t matter if the handbags didn’t contain supplies of the Oxford/AZ vaccine ordered by the UK.

Send some extra vaccines to Chicago then. Walgreens and Zocdoc still showing zero available appointments within 25 miles of my Zip Code.

Except that, the odds of this shot injuring a 14 or 15 year old because they are not actually 16 appears to be virtually zero, so there are never going to be damages.

1 Like

I mean, we’re probably about to have another surge, but over a quarter of our total population has now recieved at least one dose. That’s gotta count for something on the overall numbers of infected, and an even higher percentage of our most vulnerable have been vaccinated, so that’s gotta really count for something for hospitalizations and deaths.

States definitely need to send more to urban areas and less to rural areas right now. They are clearly sending an amount based upon population when in fact vaccine uptake is much higher in educated urban and suburban areas than in rural areas.

1 Like

Why wouldn’t US health insurance companies deny claims if people have refused to get vaccinated?

That kind of thing would require a change in the law and probably wouldn’t achieve the result you are looking for anyway. If the very real risk of death or serious complications isn’t enough to push people to get the vaccine, do you really think the risk of medical debt is what will push them over the top?

Czech Republic guy looking better and better about not wanting to wait for EU approval of Sputnik:

1 Like

These are not analogous at all. Analogy would be if there was a one time pill you could take to prevent heart attacks and refused to do so.

The headline writer should be shot. The article is actually pretty good about discussing concerns in a responsible manner and the summary is they are safe (as safe as can be claimed for anything new).

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-03-22/are-mrna-covid-vaccines-risky-what-the-experts-say-quicktake

Raise premiums in a few months when everyone who wants the vaccine has gotten it, then give a discount back to old levels with proof of vaccination.

Milos Zeman, Czechia’s Donald Trump, is a eurosceptic russophile whose 2013 presidential campaign was financed by a Russian oil company. He wasn’t using any medical sense when pushing for Sputnik V. He was using his “I <3 Russia” sense. The Minister of Health and PM know that he’s a brainless, decrepit fool with no hard power and completely ignored him as they do with most other things.

1 Like

The answer to the original question as asked is: US health insurance companies would deny claims if it saved them money and they could get away with it. They wouldn’t do it just to encourage people to get vaccinated.

Other reason this is a bad analogy is your heart attack doesn’t cause 10 other people to have a heart attack.

Does he, though?

I imagine if the ACA falls that insurers will be pushing very hard to start denying claims from COVID survivors under reinstated pre-existing condition rules.

It would seem there’s no contradiction in thinking that the Czech President is a muppet and the EU’s position on the Sputnik vaccine is becoming (and probably already is) a political decision.

Speaking as an EU citizen the idea that they couldn’t use all the vaccines they can get their hands on is nonsense, so they both seem almost inescapable conclusions.

5 Likes