COVID-19: Chapter 7 - Brags, Beats, and Variants

It’s nuts how far some of you have had to travel for a vaccine.

Appointments for a new mass vaccination site in Batavia, IL (Kane County) are opening this morning. They’re taking people in 1B+ in Illinois which my wife and I qualify for. Me: Heart Condition, Her: Pregnant

Refreshing all relevant pages because I assume the slots will all go quick.

7 Likes

Meanwhile, in NY, we’re open to everyone over age 60, everyone with a comorbidity, and basically everyone with any kind of public facing job. And other than NYC proper and Long Island, there’s basically open availability for appointments as soon as tomorrow. Even in NYC & LI, you can book an appointment, you might just wait a few weeks. I don’t get the disparity between some of these blue states.

Still looking like best case for my eligibility is end of June! Glad to see everyone getting vaxxed but man it’s really showing how terrible Canada is at this.

2 Likes

fuck, i got a french press too. just call me prince phillip

i basically lied on the web form (because it was not clear) and have the WA email. i’ll start looking for appointments next week when i get back. i checked the appointments a few times and it was never available, so kinda expecting it will be another few weeks to get an appointment within a reasonable drive.

looks like WA made another tier eligible yesterday, so it’s going to be tough to squeeze in.

Can someone help me understand the CDC guidance not to travel even when fully vaccinated? That seems insane to me?

I’m not interpreting the guidelines this way. They seem to be saying to get vaccinated if possible before traveling, and to continue to wear a mask and socially distance when in public.

Mississippi update:

https://twitter.com/toddrjones/status/1372351431978668038?s=21

Seems to be a case of people just not wanting it.

Is there something more recent?

Looks like covid is gonna make the midterms a lot closer in red states if they’re passing on vaccines

Never been to Mississippi. I have the sense that rural Mississippi is basically a third-world country. I’d go there when back in America if I had a car out of curiosity. That and I love blues music.

I’m extrapolating based on the most recent advice by Fauci to mask up in public while it being OK to socialize privately in small groups, especially if everyone in the group has been vaxxed.

One Czech news website (a normally center-left one) has been running articles flaming the fears of anti-vaxxers on a daily basis. They’re always “X people died after [insert vaccine here]” or something like that. Then you read and they’re all 80+ and had heart attacks.

But obviously most just see the headlines. I mean there are already enough vaccine fears especially in rural parts of this country which is where the pandemic is the worst. Irresponsible journalism isn’t going to help.

The Czech Republic has an almost draconian lockdown in place and it hasn’t slowed down the spread of covid. It seems to have reached a plateau and no matter what restrictions are put in place, nothing can change it. In order to basically operate as a country, there seems to be an irreducible number of cases per day that will occur until mass vaccination becomes a thing in this country.

This video. Dear Christ.

Fucking diner shit.

Go to The Villages and ask them those questions. Those are the fuckers that vote.

EDIT: Trump is a liberal New Yorker? Christ what’s the O/U on the number of white supremacist tattoos on that guy?

2 Likes

We are a coin toss to get discarded surplus US shots instead of the ones that our government should have secured for us.

2 Likes

I think it is just a combination of wanting continued caution while the population is largely unvaccinated and while we learn more about transmission while vaccinated and protection against variants plus a desire to tamp down the whole country going full YOLO too early

1 Like

Score. 8 hours one way, I assume this is the UP record?

Moderna. I’m hoping I can get my way into the 2nd shot locally other wise it’s back on the road in 4 weeks.

14 Likes

Update: my appointment was actually today, not yesterday, but the more consequential update is that the vaccination center is apparently closed today! This has not yet been confirmed (they did not, for example, send an email letting people with appointments know so that they would not, for example, get up at 6am and drive 130 miles through a thunderstorm in a fruitless attempt to get vaccinated), but that’s the scuttlebutt among the aimless crowd of unwillingly-COVID-susceptible that has gathered here at Southern Pines Recreation Center.

I truly didn’t think I of all people was going to get burned by placing too much faith in the efficacy of our public health authorities’ COVID response, but here we are…

3 Likes

It makes no sense other than they’re erring on the side of maximum caution.