COVID-19: Chapter 7 - Brags, Beats, and Variants

TBF, Georgia’s (idiot) governor actually said yesterday that people should leave Atlanta and go to rural parts of the state to get the jab.

And we have BMI25+ and people 55+ as eligible categories. It’s basically floodgates. And yet that’s still the map.

UK variant being (at least, from memory) 63% more deadly than covid 1.0 might account for this, plus of course a realtive low percentage of US elderly and vulnerable receiving the vaccine - but mainly the former.

Success of vaccine programme will be based on number of lives saved and I expect that graph to have the shallowest fall in the US.

I’m gonna bail for a week or two because I don’t have the faith that the US govt or public have the appetite to test in the same capacity to record a new highest 7dma and because the bet is viewed as such an outlier that I’d probably get 100:1 elsewhere… if testing numbers start to rise, I’ll hit you up but I can’t bet on a stat that may not be measured.

Former bet stands though as wouldn’t want to welch on that

1 Like

This testing point would also potentially factor into the CFR discussion above.

Aren’t you a nurse or something similar (or do I have you confused with somebody else)?

If so, shouldn’t you have gotten this a long time ago?

1 Like

Got my first shot of Moderna 4 hours ago now. Had to drive 2 hours each way to get it, but I’m fine with it. 1B because fat ldo.

18 Likes

Yes, I am a nurse, and I just started a job at a new hospital system which is how I got this appointment

I was between jobs and not working when the vaccine first rolled out

6 Likes

Oh good.

https://twitter.com/aubrey_huff/status/1371536217775382530?s=21

1 Like

Alot of them believe that there is always a better thing for rich people to buy than what is available to the general public and 99% of the time they are right. When they are wrong, charlatans jump in to sell them expensive snake oil. The rich anti vaxxers tend to believe that there is a special all natural tea for them (and only them) that is better than vaccines.

1 Like

I would have never thought I’d say this 10 years ago but wow do I hope Aubrey Huff gets COVID and dies from it.

10 Likes

He’s only 44? He looks closer to 60 than 40.

It’s his superior genes.

There is literally no reason to think the vaccines wont’ stay ahead of the virus curve. Yeah we’ll be sad when antivax dipshits die, but the odds of dying from covid after you’ve gotten a vaccine will be significantly lower than the odds of dying in a car accident on your way to get the vaccine. We can easily return to a normal society where this is just one more disease that we get inoculated against periodically like the flu.

Yeah, I probably was inelegant with how I phrased it, I agree with this that the vaccinated will be able to stay ahead of things and be relatively safe, but I guess I just don’t see that herd immunity is ever going to be close to a thing, so in my estimation, it’s going to stay endemic and killing people left and right and the return to normalcy equates to just a return to not really caring anymore rather than some eradication.

Surprising somebody who refers to themselves in the third person as “daddy” is a bit of an asshole.

7 Likes

Fuck them. Seriously. I look forward to nature culling these dopes. Having 5% of MAGA die off is a good thing. They are beyond redemption and do not belong in a responsible society.

Could be less people going to get tested unless they’re really sick. Seems like olds and people with comorbidities might want to get tested at the first sign of trouble. But then most of them wouldn’t get very sick.

Now with only youngs and healthies the actual case to reported case ratio might be dropping a lot.

it’s possible to do this actuarial analysis, but 5% sounds pretty high. even 70+ yo is not really shaving off that many years.

Just got my essential worker letter, which is funny because I wfh. Going to sign up for vaccine tonight.

Stoked.

18 Likes