COVID-19: Chapter 7 - Brags, Beats, and Variants

I was trying to think of institutions popular with deplorables that might actually have some semi-reasonable adults in charge. Gun shows are not that. Waffle Houses and Cracker Barrels maybe.

The anti vaxx crowd isnā€™t exclusively red neck Trumpers. Plenty of yoga moms shopping at Whole Foods too.

1 Like

Wife called while I was walking the dog. Looks like Iā€™m Eligible 3/26 to sign up in OH (announced today I think). When this started and you could do the when am I eligible thing in NYT I was like VERY last, 43 healthy with no reasons to get priority.

Inject it into my veins.,ā€¦ok muscles

4 Likes

For this particular vaccine, itā€™s way, way less popular with Trumpers than most. Seems like there are tons of conservatives who donā€™t mind getting flu shots or the shingles shot but wonā€™t get this one, because of how Trump made it a political thing.

1 Like

i donā€™t even understand how a coffeemaker is a sign of wealth. i have an aeropress, a moka pot, and a pour over thingie. am i opulence?

Yes?

1 Like

Add a drip maker and youā€™ll be first in line for the guillotine, mr moneybags.

3 Likes

The latest polls suggest we get to about 2/3. I think hesitancy will come down over time, but for '21 seems like a reasonable base case. It polls partisan, something around half give or take of Republicans say they wont take the vax. You are right that Democratic politicians wont be the solution.

It is an issue, we will definitely keep having outbreaks at these levels and to prevent them we will need to ask the vaccinated/those that took this seriously to keep taking precautions/restrictions to protect the unvax/YOLO crowd and the unlucky vaccinated that run bad.

fuck, better hide my a manual grinder and milk frother under the floorboards.

fuck, i donā€™t even drink coffee, i just make it for my wife every morning.

fuck, what if they find out i only buy beans from a local roaster.

1 Like

Iā€™m not bothered that poor people have microwaves and coffee pots. I believe they should be able to fuck any appliances they wish, not just toasters.

4 Likes

Very few people are going to do that, theyā€™ll just take slots from 65+.

on top of that a lot of people use IUDs, implantables, etc, that are lower risk for clotting issues.

https://twitter.com/graham_couch/status/1371846145169895433?s=21

Had a wrestling tournament super spreader event in NH too, unclear whether it was the GB variant.

yes but being a trump voter is the MOST reliable predictor of antivax beliefs at the present moment.

1 Like

Drive 1 complete. Monroeville PA. Shocking number of folks eating inside at Panera. I of course ordered pickup. (Good quick flatbread pizza if you havenā€™t tried them yet).

Uh-oh. They gave me room 404. Iā€™ll never find it.

8 Likes

Yes I believe that for sure. Some surveys I saw highlighted a couple of smaller trends that I thought were interesting: people of color justifiably donā€™t trust authorities and some of them carry over to vax hesitancy; a surprising number of health care workers donā€™t want the vaccine, like 1 in 6.

Optics of that wonā€™t be good.

Rich white people who have the flexibility to drive 3 hours each way for a shot get it, while thereā€™s nothing for poor people.

I mean, it sure looks like there is too much for poor people right now

I meant poor people in the urban areas.

There is already a racial disparity in vaccine access. Expanding eligibility when all the appointments are already booked within 100 miles of major cities will exacerbate it.