COVID-19: Chapter 7 - Brags, Beats, and Variants

The bottom line message is to continue masking and social D until the health authorities say otherwise.

Once there is actual data if the vaccinated can carry infection in any significant manner perhaps that will change. But when you cut every corner some of the information is going to be missing at first.

It’s really not that hard to just go along with the safest operating assumption until proven otherwise.

I know that if I go out and half the people aren’t wearing masks in lolAmerica that at least half those people will be falsely claiming they get vaccinated so they don’t have to. If nothing else it’s just easier to leave them on for now.

2 Likes

That’s the thing with public health. They err on the safety side.

2 Likes

Almost nothing is ever 100% when it comes to medicine.

1 Like

oh god too true. Pretty routinely get a patient that I have no idea what there real problem is but know they’re sick. So I typically get their vitals improved, give some antibiotics, and hope the hospitalist can figure it out. They typically don’t like that.

My parents went to my sisters last night to do a “social distanced Christmas” (it was 35 degrees here and my sister has no outside furniture or anything to keep warm so they were obviously inside. Also, my sister has like 6 disease vectors running around.)

So of course they want to come over today and drop off presents. They will be staying outside and masked and we will hang on the porch in the cold for a bit. Would rather it not happen at all, but what ya gonna do?

So much for the Tuesday downswing.

Fuck

I think a concrete question about spread post vaccination is from studies in primates. Some showed that while those that were infected post vaccination showed virtually no trace in their lungs and didn’t develop an illness, then there was still virus present in nasal swabs. E.g.

https://www.nejm.org/doi/pdf/10.1056/NEJMoa2024671

I have no idea if this is just normal for this sort of illness and nothing to worry about.

1 Like

deaths are going to continue to rise for awhile, they lag cases by about a month

I’m going to continue to see nothing but peaks, call me jiggs

2 Likes

"Theoretically, a vaccine should stop both the infection as well as the transmission and spread,” said Dr. Purvi Parikh, an immunologist with the nonprofit Allergy & Asthma Network and a co-investigator on the Pfizer vaccine trials.

But we don’t know yet if that is true of the COVID-19 vaccines, she told me. That’s because the focus of the clinical trials was narrow. It had to be because of the time constraints. Scientists wanted to know whether these things prevented illness. They wanted to know whether the drugs were safe. And they got those answers.

But getting those questions answered fast came at the expense of answering other questions — like whether vaccinated people can still spread the virus. “With a lot of other vaccines, you have years of data to analyze that,” Parikh said.

So, experts are being careful — balancing their excitement and relief with caution that you can’t just switch off 2020 Mode and return to a normal state of being. They need a little more time to know for sure.

If someone was protected from symptoms of COVID-19 but still capable of spreading it, it wouldn’t be that shocking. There’s a hypothetical mechanism that could allow this to happen biologically, said Deepta Bhattacharya, a professor of immunobiology at the University of Arizona. And that mechanism is … well … it’s boogers and phlegm.

“So, the virus enters in through the upper respiratory tracts, either through your nose or your throat. And those are protected by a mucous layer. And so that mucous layer is good at slowing things down from getting into you. But it also acts as a barrier for things like antibodies, and certainly for cells from getting out and meeting the virus as it comes in,” he said.

Even if a vaccine has trained your immune cells to kick the butt of any SARS-CoV-2 viruses they spot, they might not be able to neutralize the ones resting in your nose, on the other side of your mucous barriers. Those COVID-19 viruses wouldn’t hurt you, but they still might be able to replicate and shed — coughed back out of your nose and mouth and into the community, where they could encounter your unvaccinated friends and loved ones.

We also have at least one example of a vaccine that can end up protecting the vaccinated person more than the community at large, Parikh told me. The flu vaccines are notoriously imperfect in how well they protect against infection, as effectiveness rates fluctuate but tend to be between 40 and 60 percent. That’s better than nothing for the people who get them — especially because we know that, even if you do get sick, having had the vaccine can result in a less severe illness. But, Parikh said, that means that person — vaccinated, less susceptible, and less sick than they otherwise would have been — can still spread influenza around the community.

That’s the kind of thing scientists are worried about. But they’re also optimistic. “I suspect the answer will be that people will not be able to transmit — that the virus will protect from transmission, because I think there will be enough antibodies made that will neutralize the virus even at the mucosal surface,” said Dr. Warner Greene, senior investigator at Gladstone Institutes, an independent, nonprofit research lab in San Francisco. “But it is just a guess at this point,” he added.

It’s a guess Bhattacharya agreed with. The Pfizer and Moderna COVID-19 vaccines have, after all, turned out to be much more effective than those tricky flu vaccines. “If you have a vaccine that’s 95 percent effective at reducing symptoms, there is no universe in which it wouldn’t also reduce the likelihood of transmission. It’s just not possible,” he said. “So we’re not talking about whether it reduces transmission or not, we just want to get an extent as to how much."

So as I read this they don’t want to rule it out entirely, because there is a biological mechanism that would allow some shedding by a vaccinated individual. But, they are almost certainly less infectious than an unvaccinated person, and, therefore as the number of vaccinated people increases, it becomes harder and harder for the virus to find new hosts, and it burns out.

5 Likes

So I saw a thing about the mayor of Huntington Beach refusing to wear a mask, which made sense because HB is a major hotspot of COVID defiance. Then I read the article, and the mayor of HB is Tito Ortiz lol.

2 Likes

And the whole argument is around- “when I get vaccinated I’m going to run around face naked without a care in the world and have social intercourse with everyone everywhere”.

It has almost nothing to do with the scientific debate and everything to do with when YOLO is socially accepted once again.

Whereas public health says “hold on there everybody, the plane hasn’t Come to a complete stop so keep your seatbelt on just a little longer”.

3 Likes

My favorite UFC moment was chuck - Ortiz 1

Fuck you tito. Eat all the punches.

2 Likes

Guess my family went a different route. Only 8 of us in a fairly large house and everybody travelling to the gathering (me, sister, and mother) got covid tests within the past week. Rest of the people there overcame it it months ago and have been staying home for a long time.

Still gonna mask up just because.

Kiwanas club smh. Basically all mayors are this guy:

1 Like

Onion.

3 Likes

Come on down

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1342273856107474945?s=21

3 Likes

The committee is pleased to have looked in on Christmas to formally nominate MOTHER

Wrong Mike, unfortunately.

My sister stated that nurses and health care workers she knows told her that the vaccine could cause fertility problems. She never specified which one and hearing that from her is pretty surprising given her left-wing views. I would think that somebody working with developmentally disabled adults, some of whom are at greater risk for covid, would be more inclined to get the vaccine rather than be willing to sacrifice their jobs if compelled to get the vaccine.

Anyone here heard of this?

My sister is a nurse but not really frontline for covid, but she already got her first shot yesterday.

3 Likes