COVID-19: Chapter 7 - Brags, Beats, and Variants

One of the great early Curb Your Enthusiasm episodes had Larry go to the doctor and they’re testing his heart rate when a super beautiful nurse comes in and his heart rate spikes. So they diagnose him with an irregular heartbeat, lol. What a great show.

3 Likes

Cringe comedy at its best

No, that is an exaggeration of it. Dose 2 effects different people differently. I now know a ton of people who have had it, including myself and my wife. We both got sick afterwards, but more in line with a bad cold, nothing like having the flu. And also, it goes away after less then a day. Almost all the people I know who got it, double digits, and ranges form a little exhaustion, to bad cold with low grade fever (like the 100.5). Nothing nuts like the flu or Covid.

Updated trip report from the DC vaccine appointment scheduling streets:

• City opens up additional appointments starting at 9am Friday morning. They have updated the eligibility logic, but the site is still slow, buggy, and just generally tedious. I get all the way through to appointment page several times, but every time I hit “confirm” I get a message stating that that time is no longer available. Keep trying new times until, eventually, all the appointments are gone.

• DC announces that, in light of the problems on Thursday and Friday, they will open up additional availability on Saturday at 9 am. At 9:01 this morning, the website crashes. At 9:20, with the site still down, I get through to the DC health call center that is supposed to help you make an appointment if you can’t do it via computer. They apparently schedule using the same website as the general public, so their systems are down too. :frowning:

9:30 am- site is back up. I fill out the questionnaire (again). Get to the appointment schedule and it shows no availability :(. I let out a primal scream that freaks out my cat and sends her diving under the sofa. Take a deep breath, look at the page again and notice that the default date range is only showing one week of appointments. Wonder what would happen if I expanded the date range?It worked and
I have an appointment in 2 weeks!

11 Likes

Anyone who is in Vegas should be cold calling Walmart’s to get on the waste/cancellation list. I called four days ago and was told I was on list 3, absolute lowest priority, many names ahead of me.

Yesterday they called me and I got in for dose one of the Moderna

The site vaccinehunter.org has state by state info. It was easy to find the Vegas Facebook group which had a spreadsheet with a lot of info. Can’t speak to other states

13 Likes

Given how easy it was to talk to a person and get on the list, I’d recommend that people call as well as use the online tool no matter where they are. The pharmacists I talked to were more than happy to help.

3 Likes

Vaccine Jab #2 Update - 17 hours removed from the shot and still no side effects except for the sore arm.

9 Likes

Side effects lasted roughly 18-36 hours after jab. Feel mostly fine now. A little foggy, but not in pain.

5 Likes

Hoping the UK vaccination strategy will see reduced deaths…

1 Like

I swear they updated the vaccine schedule for California and took me off it???

This screenshot is from 2 weeks ago before they announced that teachers and food workers would start getting vaccinated starting this weekend

and now it looks like this. what happened to 1B-Tier 2 ???

That last graph is outstanding!

Noted it’s an estimate but the UK have the NHS so we know the real population numbers fairly accurately.

With a different vaccine strategy to ROW (12 weeks between 1st and 2nd… and using Oxford) the future death stats will quite clearly show whether UK was correct in this regard - could go either way!

In my county they are still in phase 1B or whatever, but apparently the system for scheduling drive-by jabs doesn’t ask if you’re in that group, it just lets whoever schedule and my cousin says that they have so many extra doses that they aren’t checking when you get there if you’re in the proper group or not.

should I go ahead and schedule and get it? Like, if this were true why wouldn’t they just say “come and get it”???

I like how I’m considered an essential worker so our business never shut down but not essential enough to get a vaccine

7 Likes

I’d like to know if the ‘doses/100 people’ stats for the U.A.E. includes the entire population or just Emirate citizens, who only make up about 15% of it. They have a history of making their numbers look a lot better than they really are by pretending the 8.5 million people who do all the actual work there don’t exist.

There is a subset of essential workers that aren’t public facing and aren’t at giggle risk of starting an outbreak. Also some governors are dumb.

59.11% had first dose - off a popluation of 9.89m (source of doses adminstered and population both Our World In Data)

Full U.A.E. page here

I’d call and ask if they have a standby list. That’s what we had. They have a long list of people who signed up on the sign up list but, at least when I was doing it, they had 30% to 40% no shows for various reasons. They had a list of people who wanted to come up on short notice and if there were some shots that were about to expire they’d call them because they were usually people who could pick up and get to the clinic within an hour or so.

Doing some research on variant data this afternoon. A few points of note:

1. At a press conference yesterday, Walensky said that the current CDC estimate of B117 prevalence is 10% of new cases. (One weird thing about this briefing is that both she and Fauci repeatedly express concern that case counts will “level off” or “plateau” at their current numbers as the variants spread, even though that doesn’t really make any sense. Possibly political constraints?) AFAICT, the 10% estimate is an internal number that doesn’t derive from any public data source.
  2. One point that I was unclear about until today is that most PCR tests for COVID do not test for the S gene that is modified in the B117 variant. This is very out of date, but only lists one test that looks for the S gene. So that would mean that most COVID tests are not serendipitously testing for the variant as well.
  3. There’s some new (or at least new to me) info on sequencing at the CDC website. There are a lot of pictures and maps and such, but not sure if any of them are really informative–there are a few different metrics that are not consistently presented.
  4. Also interesting is the geographic breakdown of confirmed-by-sequencing B117 cases, which is here. This is where things get a bit mysterious. In areas where Helix seems to do a lot of tests, the majority of the CDC’s cases were apparently found by Helix, via targeted testing of SGTF samples. For example, in California, Helix has 165 confirmed cases out of 196 sequences, while the CDC reports 204 cases. This doesn’t make any sense–how could CDC do more than 9000 tests nationally in the most recent week and only have found 40 cases ever in California?
1 Like