COVID-19: Chapter 7 - Brags, Beats, and Variants

Wat? Really? Makes you wonder what the 2nd dose is for.

I’d heard ‘most’ should have ‘some’ immunity after 3 weeks

Get J&J now and you’ll have a chance to get one of the mRNA ones in fall booster season.

What does 65% effective even mean for J&J?

Wasn’t AstraZeneca “65% effective” but then it came out in follow-ups to be 100% effective in preventing death and 99% effective in preventing serious illness? Or something like that?

That’s madness, even in the Midwest I can get a yearly flu shot for free.

There were no long breaks. Schools in UK have not closed during the pandemic - even in the few months that UK has been in lockdown, kids of essential workers have attended classes 9-3.30pm, 5 days a week at 25-50% capacity rates.

UK classrooms have windows and doors, that’s it for ventilation. No a/c or mechanical in 99% of UK schools.

Fairly good at exclusion if someone related (usually parent) tested positive and the kid had been in school the previous days, that would see the 30 kid class sent home for 2 weeks. But not the school as they were good at separating the years over multiple lunch half hours and staggered start finish times.

If you want to reply to this message, let’s take it to the Rebekah thread ;) Don’t wanna derail.

To quote Margaret Cho: “Just stick it in me now!”

1 Like

I tend to be more skeptical than average of anecdotal evidence. Is there anything worth exploring here or is this inconsistent with how vaccines work?

https://twitter.com/MaraGay/status/1364609594056704002

Long Covid is basically an immune system fuckup as I understand it (not that you actually have Covid that entire time), so i suppose it’s possible that vaccines somehow generate an immune response that knocks your system back into whack? Maybe? I mean I’m just pulling shit out of the air here.

Seems kinda nutty to me.

That’s a hell of a spike for LA.

Is the US case decline levelling off?

Could be. 7DMA has risen two days in a row–the first time since ~Jan 8 for more than a one-day rise.

There’s an easy explanation: the big storm could have depressed testing last week in Texas etc. This probably does account for the 7DMA numerical increases.

But the numbers appear to be plateauing regardless in many locations, particularly in the upper midwest. This is concerning because that’s where the first escalation in fall occurred, and if you’re on Team Unexplained Seasonality Dynamics Are Driving These Huge Surges then we should see the upper midwest as a canary in the coal mine, potentially.

Something to keep an eye on, and a reason we can’t get complacent about mitigation anytime soon.

1 Like

There’s been a lot of talk in Canada about a new variant driven 3rd wave, expected to peak in April. I haven’t seen anybody talk about this elsewhere, but declines do seem to be leveling off in a lot of places over the past week or so.

A couple sample articles from today:

As of Tuesday, a total of 110.7 million cases and more than 2.4 million deaths have been recorded since the start of the pandemic, according to WHO figures.

However, while many countries are reporting a decline in overall coronavirus cases, reports of Covid-19 variants are increasing.

The WHO says a highly transmissible coronavirus variant first detected in the UK has been found in 101 countries. Another variant from South Africa has been found in 51 countries.

Makes zero sense mechanistically. Would be evidence that those long covid is primarily psych.

1 Like

There’s very good reason to be skeptical about “long covid” (and by that I mean people who had a minor infection with no signs of damage but complain of long term effects) as an entity. It just doesn’t make sense mechanistically unless something weird or unexpected happened. This type of thing has happened with other illnesses like “chronic Lyme” and such.

Yea I don’t think Ontario has announced their plan yet. Going to be forever before I can be vaccinated. Also today my home district just announced its single highest new cases. We are now the worst place in Ontario for covid per capita. It’s spreading a lot in schools from what I can tell. Everyday another school announces positive cases.

Do you think they’re making it up?

He doesn’t, but it’s common for people to experience symptoms with no medical reason. It’s similar to the reason why placebos work.

1 Like

How is that even possible? Isn’t it always a slow gradual slowdown of cases?