COVID-19: Chapter 7 - Brags, Beats, and Variants

Every little bit of added immunity in the community helps, but I know I would much rather have the 96% effective shots if given a choice. I feel like this is a situation where once a couple incredibly effective vaccines were developed they should have been put in to production at all vaccine manufacturers. I guess that’s a pipe dream when someone has to get rich off of this, but J&J producing the Moderna or Pfizer vaccine instead of their inferior product seems like it would be a net positive for society.

4 Likes

The J&J vaccine is a one-shot thing, so that might offset any unattractiveness posed by the 67% issue. And if it prevents serious disease in virtually all cases, I’d be happy to take it.

I’m still having a hard time worrying about people who don’t want a vaccine when we seem to be having a devil of a time getting shots to people that want them. J&J isn’t delivering what they promised at this point, and what they are providing is just a drop in the bucket.

I strongly suspect that a two dose will get up near 90%.

I’d be less willing to do certain things after the J&J. I assume that it’s probably much better than 70% for serious disease/death but I also don’t want to spread.

So I’d probably just live my life as now except being less worried about getting sick myself. I will have to fly soonish and 70>>>>0.

2 Likes

I don’t know anything about vaccine manufacturing, but this sounds like something that might be much more difficult logistically than what you’re saying.

Definitely would be a logistical nightmare that I know far too little about to be opining on. I’m just day dreaming about what could have been if we had a competent federal government at the outset of this pandemic.

They also started asymptomatic pool testing for students and staff, so it may not be a disaster. In my wife’s district, they’ve had very few if any cases of transmission traced to in-school contacts, and they do contact tracing for school contacts whenever anyone reports a positive test.

It seems that it’s mostly an evidence-based decision, rather than mostly a political or emotional one.

Church-I wish these things would clearly state if they are comparable per contact hour and social distancing index of some sort.

The data in the US is highly confounded because WFH schools were included in the denominator. Were long breaks included in the teacher totals? Do all the classrooms have ventilation? How good are they at excluding sick people from the schools (vs other spaces). Etc. idk about UK.

And lolFlorida and some other states they do every possible trick to not count disease/death in a school setting.

We have been the same with full surveillance testing every week. That said, Im not sure these schools are set up to move from hybrid to full capacity safely. We’ll see, I know my town did a lot of work on the ventilation systems this year, hopefully that is statewide.

Yeah, Im happy to keep locking down until the summer and wait for the better shot. I have no idea what the rules are going to be around vaccination and reopening and travel down the road and probably wont be eligible too long before this shifts from a supply problem to a demand problem anyways, so I’ll wait. If I had a public facing job I’d probably feel differently. If I die in the interim, lol me, but my non family close contacts every week are literally zero. So whats another month after locking down for 15.

It could also not be a choice, who knows, states may designate who gets what vaccine for all that I know. Circumstances could definitely change. But it looks like the likely outcome in my state is that Im not eligible until summer. Consensus seems to be that’s about when we switch from supply problem to demand problem. So if thats the way it is going to go, I’ll wait. If it was hey take this shot now or a better one in six months, maybe that would be a different calculation.

I obviously want to get vaccinated, and Im certainly overweight enough not to be truly low risk. But Im also not sort of actively trying to find slots right now while the system is jammed up and am perfectly happy being among the latest vaccinated. Im very sick of being locked down, but am at the point now where I literally only leave the house for a short walk every couple of days and then a drive around on a weekend morning just to break up the monotony. I can go last, but given that would rather just wait for the better shot.

https://twitter.com/AnilMakam/status/1364381793747562499

Seems like the Cali variant may be a better explanation for why LA seemed so unusually bad rather than a predictor of bad things to come.

6 Likes

I’d stay super cautious regarding the variant stuff as explanations. We’ve never dedicated this many resources to a single disease, so we’ve never had this much sequencing done before. This type of variation may be relatively common but not as influential on spread and mortality as we might think

6 Likes

That too, of course. I’m not sure we’ve ruled out the null hypothesis at this point, that the Cali variant is just boring and ordinary.

1 Like

No one will be able to tell you.

Vaccine is almost certainly working though

1 Like

I’m guessing the soreness is due to the vaccine. My upper arm was very sore for a couple of days after the first shot, and I didn’t even feel the the needle going in.

When I had the second shot last week, I definitively felt the needle, but my arm was only mildly sore for the next day.

1 Like

We’re on the same timeline. My upper arm hurts a bit. Slightly more than a flu vaccine.

Is your 2nd does scheduled for March 16?

1 Like

You should umm… you should start getting flu vaccines. Every year. Not getting them is a life leak IMO.

4 Likes

You can go to Boots and get a flu jab every year. Only like £20.

1 Like

Yeah Pfizer is legit GOAT.

1 Like

Vaccine ‘likely’ to protect against all variants - Pfizer boss

The chief scientific officer of viral vaccines at Pfizer says it is likely the company’s vaccine protects against all variants of Covid-19 seen to date.

Dr Philip Dormitzer tells the science and technology committee that in real world data from the UK and Israel “we are seeing protection against the UK variant that is equivalent to the protection we saw in controlled trials before that variant was circulating”.

He says there is some “reduction in the level of neutralisation” for the South African variant in laboratory tests but says it is not as low as the level at which people were protected under lab conditions and says the data is “quite reassuring”.

On the UK’s decision to leave a gap between the first and second dose of the jab he says the data is only just starting to come in so there is not a robust picture.

As the manufacturer, Dormitzer says, Pfizer can only recommend using the vaccine as it is authorised but he says other groups have more latitude to make their own recommendations

Link to above…

2 Likes