COVID-19: Chapter 7 - Brags, Beats, and Variants

These things are complex and lots of different factors are affecting case numbers. It’s tricky to draw out clear-cut inferences from the data.

Case numbers today actually look promising?

Every so often the weekend reporting lag goes an extra day.

1 Like

Christmas and New Years. If this holds through the week of the 4th I’ll start to believe.

2 Likes

fuck Nazi Jack

Chattanooga is pretty close to the middle right? I mean, you head pretty much due south from Nashville,and it’s probably near to the same latitude as Memphis

I’m really struggling to relate to asking where a place is rather than looking at any of the dozens of free mapping options we all have at our disposal.

2 Likes

It is interesting how the upper Midwest has peaked and is now on trending down. One explanation might be that a large percentage of people who engage in high risk behavior are actually a relatively small percentage of the population and have already gotten pozzed so are now effectively broken links in the chain of infection.

Places like California with large immigrant populations that have high occupancy multi generational household are ripe for high infection rates. There are a lot of poor people in LA and for a wide range of reasons poor people have higher exposure risk. But I dont think a new covid mutation spreading in California should be ruled out.

I wasnlooking at the Georgia infections today and saw 9000 new cases, thats a lot for a mostly rural state out side of Atlanta. And Alabama next store, even more rural, had 4500 or something. Maybe not cali numbers but damn. Thats a lot.

I struggle to relate to asking any question that can’t easily be answered by using Google.

I inadvertently ended a business relationship bordering on friendship by wondering that same thing in an annoyed email.

1 Like

I can’t fucking believe they fucking all but confirmed that Florida basketball player fucking had a motherfucking cardiac fucking arrest on a fucking basketball court and no one has done fucking shit.

6 Likes

I just told my wife earlier- by saying nothing about his event they said everything.

Baba Booey

1 Like

Especially a holiday week…?

We tested Thursday and got results today. 5 day lag in Northern California. It had been much faster june through November.

I’d expect odd numbers through new years plus a week.

1 Like

I guess I’m a stan for Oster by saying this, but how on earth does the linked article in Science falsify the notion that transmission in schools reflects the transmission in the surrounding community? I’m not saying that I disbelieve the article. I’m saying that the article doesn’t remotely seem to do what’s claimed in the medium article. If anything, it seems like it’s saying the opposite - it offers several stories where the vast majority of positive cases among school-aged kids turned out not to be transmitted in school.

I’ve been going into the office 5 days a week since early October when I accepted my new job.

The big advantage I have COVID-wise is that I work night shift which means I’m in the office by myself and only am in with the day shift people for like 45 minutes in the morning tops.

Today I got an email from the CEO that someone in our office tested positive. They’ve notified everyone who meets the CDC’s contact tracing guidelines, which was not me given that I’ve heard nothing further.

I’m in a row with desks about 6 feet apart from each other with 5 other people in the mornings. Masks aren’t worn when people are at their desks. The other main row of traders is about 8-9 paces from our row, then there’s a couple of one off tech people who have to be in office that are 20-25 feet from everyone else.

Feel like the chances that I’m pozzed are low and I’m surprised that it’s taken this long for the office to have a positive case.

1 Like

It would be interesting if we had reliable data on what the case rate is among adults who aren’t WFH. Just comparing to the overall population case rate doesn’t seem valid, because the population includes people like me who never leave the house and have a much lower infection rate (also people in prisons, HCW, etc., who are at much higher risk). I think the question (at least a question) you want an answer to is how the risk that teachers are exposed to compares to working at a retail or office job. Or, failing that, at least an age-matched sampling of the population.

Also, I was shocked to understand that 4% of Ohio has gotten COVID in the last three months, but then I looked it up and saw that that isn’t even unusually high. :frowning:

1 Like

What concerns me is that while the case count has flattened, the testing count has almost stopped increasing as well.

It’s the hospitalization that’s the biggest flag. Slight inflection but still going up at a good pace. I have no idea if there is less of a lag in reporting that vs deaths.

https://twitter.com/covid19tracking/status/1341552471064244227?s=21

1 Like