COVID-19: Chapter 7 - Brags, Beats, and Variants

I mean, can we at least understand the difference between this and vaccination before you characterize my takes as “bullshit” towards me. Thanks in advance.

Fine, edited.

You missed the point of that post, which is that ‘spreading a fatal and highly communicable disease around their community’ is not the same as not getting vaccinated either.

Fine, people should have a choice between getting vaccinated or being shipped off to an isolation facility for the rest of their lives. I can live with that.

I wouldn’t think of this being a backdoor out or the like. This is much more akin to the norm with any vaccine.

I guess what I’m asking is, “Is 70% effective actually good? Or is it just good enough?”

It’s great, but I think you’re misinterpreting what 70% effectiveness means. It means neither that 70% of people are 100% immune while 30% are out of luck nor that 100% of people are 70% immune. It means that there were 70% fewer cases in the vaccinated population compared with unvaccinated. So, that’s a massive win! And thus far, every vaccine has prevented all severe cases leading to hospitalization or death, which is even better.

2 Likes

Brag: employees of my company got bumped up to priority 1A for vaccines!
Beat: only the ones who live in CA, and I do not anymore
Variance: even the CA employees are finding trying to make a reservation a mess, and it seems to be a crapshoot if you can actually qualify for a reservation.

1 Like

At least you can make them in America right now.

Supposedly, people 60 or over in the Czech Republic can start making reservations in March but who knows with the lack of vaccines and all. As of now, less than 2% of the Czech population has both shots.

Interesting information

https://www.aa.com.tr/en/europe/sars-cov-2-virus-present-in-france-since-november-2019/2140925

2 percent having both shots isn’t terrible. Even in America it’s 3.6 percent right now have had both shots.

My mom had a pretty bad reaction to a pneumonia shot like a year ago, and so she has occasionally told me she might not be able to get a vaccine shot, despite the fact that she never talked to her doctor about it. Anyways so like 2 weeks ago she says she got an appointment, and then last week she told me she cancelled it!!! because her dermatologist??? told her not to get a shot without talking to her doctor, so thankfully she finally spoke to her doctor and he told her to obviously get it just don’t do it at a pharmacy, so she’s going to hopefully book another appointment asap. Pretty nerve wracking for me but I also don’t want to freak out at her and cause her to dig her heels in.

Also I found out I’m in phase 1B tier 2 through my job, so I’ll get the vaccine after teachers but before 50-64 year olds and everyone with health complications, despite working alone in a large, open warehouse and only having brief contact with a few office coworkers and the mailman/ups guy.

The 70% effective (I think) refers to the relative risk of being pozzed. That is, if you got the vaccine your risk of getting pozzed dropped 70%

Of the people that did get pozzed, they could have just had a mild case.

And based on the studies I’ve read (Pfizer, Moderna, AstraZeneca) that’s pretty much what they observed. I think none of the vaccinated people that got pozzed ever got sick enough to go to the hospital.

EDIT: Except for my pony. It got pozzed and it was clearly severe.

Second shot symptom update: got Moderna #2 at 2:30pm yesterday. Had literally zero reaction to it through 2:00am when I fell asleep. Not even a sore arm. Woke up at 4:30 feeling like I was sleeping outside in Alaska in February. Arm is now pretty sore and I haven’t really been able to fall back asleep. Just laying under my covers shivering for a while.

All good though. It’s pretty fascinating what the body and science can do. Hopefully this will be the worst of it.

14 Likes

More likely if she has to get one in the backalley though.

4 Likes

This blew my mind when I read the abstract, but for the Pfizer and moderna vaccines they did not give Covid tests to the participants unless they had symptoms. It’s possible they all got infected but just didn’t become ill from it.

Cuomo needs to Guomo

1 Like

I’m still not sure what the issue here is nursing homes in ny. It’s been bullshit criticism pretty much the whole way, and I’m not sure what I’m supposed to be super mad about here either

Well, she’d have to get pregnant to even be in that situation. Not something most grandmas are capable of.

We did not come from the same place.

3 Likes

Jman’s grandma is the one in question. So we can probably get an exact answer.

But I’m sure you’re right and that there are places where my statement is not applicable.