COVID-19: Chapter 7 - Brags, Beats, and Variants

I’m not sure what exactly you’re trying to say here, but it doesn’t seem right.

@superuberbob Vaccinations are both proven to prevent infection and decrease the severity of disease if you do happen to get infected.

1 Like

Have a nice slow read - I’m sure there’s a way a vaccine can ‘partially’ work, not so sure there’s a way a covid vaccine ‘100%’ works (reading comprehension)

Allow me to spell it out…
Pfizer - 90% ish efficacy, not tested on new variants in the real world, effectiveness unknown. But redesigning for some reason.
Moderna - 90% ish efficacy, not tested on new variants in the real world, effectiveness unknown. But redesigning for some reason.
Oxford - 70% ish efficacy, tested on new variants in the real world, effectiveness estimated (by others) c. 40%. Redesigning for some reason.

Isn’t this basically what the J&J vaccine does?

Me with years of medical training - I’m not sure what you mean here

You - read better

Me - well alright then bud have a nice day

To your edit- lots of technical stuff that doesn’t seem right either, but what’s the point of discussing it further. You seem to be using terms that you don’t really understand instead of keeping things in laypeople speak, which makes it difficult for me to figure out what you mean to say

Heresy itt :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

No idea bro.

UK Schools closed from 20 Dec 2020 @ 400 / 100,000 and remain closed… and I wager that US has more deaths per 100k <18yrs than UK, despite low average school openings and UK being OFS

Then (12/20/20)…

Now (02/12/21)…

But yes, USA should be closing all schools (and all non-essentials like takeaway) ASAP now cause UK variant already more established in tre US than the US currently has capacity to measure (popcorn.gif)

If you go by the CDC’s definition of “High Transmission” (>=100 cases per 100,000 in the last 7 days), the current situation is not as extreme as I expected. I thought that >95% of counties would be in the high transmission category, but it looks like it’s less than 80% at this point:

That picture becomes much worse, though, if you focus on counties with a population of 100,000 or more:

Our district is at 150 cases per 100,000 over the last week and has been declining sharply. So it wouldn’t be surprising if we ended up in the Substantial Transmission rather than the High Transmission group by mid-March. But that 6-feet distancing requirement is pretty clearly not going to be met here.

Worth noting that the NPR article labeled it non-negotiable, but the actual document seems a little looser:

Core principle for physical distancing: Establish school policies and implement structural interventions to promote physical distance of at least 6 feet between people. In areas with substantial and high community transmission, physical distancing is essential in providing protection, minimizing risk of exposure, and limiting the number of close contacts among cases. The interventions presented in this section provide examples of ways to promote physical distancing and alternatives when physical distancing is not always feasible.

Sounds good to me.

I refuse to believe it’s an actual limitation. Every freaking university can sequence shit these days.

2 Likes

As far as I know, almost no one who has been vaxxed has developed serious COVID symptoms.

1 Like

Yes, yes, and yes. This is why it’s so important to get regular flu shots.

I think you goofed this one a bit - the CDC guideline appears to be referencing 50-99 new cases per 100,000, and your graph appears to be showing new cases per 1,000,000. Or maybe I’m wrong, who knows.

So then when a vaccine is “70% effective”, that effectiveness doesn’t include instances where people get the virus and end up having a weaker course (or are asymptomatic) than they would without the vaccine, right?

Not exactly sure how exactly that’s being counted. A main takeaway is that these vaccines can help even if they don’t make you totally immune or if there are new strains bouncing around.

I think the comparison is a bit more complex than that. For one, it would be infinitely easier to find vaccine dodgers than it is marijuana users, and a near-certain punishment is a much better deterrent than a speculative one, even if the speculative one is harsher. For two, marijuana is a drug that people take because they enjoy taking it. Antivaxxing is something that people do either because they’re hardcore nutjobs or because it’s treated as a valid lifestyle choice. If it becomes a lifestyle-ruiner because you have to go to jail over it, then everyone except the nutjobs will fall into line.

But perhaps even more important than either of those, albeit much more speculative, is that treating vaccination as akin to the draft would be its communicative effect. One lens that’s often very interesting to consider social problems through is to ask what options people have for acting in a way that makes themselves the protagonist of a narrative. From that angle, it would be very useful to communicate to people that we’re fighting a war against COVID, and the way this country expects them to do their part is by marching in to their doctor and getting their shot when their number comes up. It would not even really be amiss to pretend that the vaccine is riskier than it really is. (“I’m not gonna lie to you soldier. There’s a chance you’re walking out of that exam room with a really sore arm–or worse. But this a sacrifice we need you to make to keep the folks back at home safe.”) That’s a frame where the person getting vaccinated is an active participant doing something noble to protect their community–a protagonist. The way things are now, the narratives on offer are: (a) sheeple who does what he or she is told when they’re told by the establishment, and (b) independent-minded skeptic who wants to do the research and see how things play out a big before taking too much on faith. It’s not really surprising that young, healthy people who have less on the line than a lot of others are tempted by (b). It’s cool!

2 Likes

Literally a supreme court case directly on point regarding the smallpox vaccine that stands for the opposite conclusion, from 100 years ago. Yeah, I know, lol at the current supreme court and all.

I’m sorry, but this is a bad take. People should absolutely not have the autonomy to spread a fatal and highly communicable disease around their community. An abortion isn’t going to kill my grandmother.

2 Likes

Had the second shot of Moderna this morning. I’ve never been so happy to feel like such dogshit.

12 Likes

It’s been a really long time since we’ve had a situation parallel to the current one, but worth pointing out that the last time we did, the mainstream opinion was that forced vaccination was A-ok.

1 Like