COVID-19: Chapter 7 - Brags, Beats, and Variants

There’s a big difference between telling someone your own health information and telling someone about someone else’s health information.

i’m totally on board with getting a jab that’s going to go to waste. no ethical qualms there. i also have 3-4 friends/relatives who are working at vaccination sites, but i would feel extremely weird to ask them to alert me if there’s an opportunity or a signup list for extra doses. is anyone else contemplating this weird hypothetical?

i’m not in any prioritized group. would probably have to wait until late summer/fall otherwise.

2 Likes

Got my second Novavax shot, definitely some tenderness and a little pain at the injection site. Feel fine otherwise, but I never react to shots and didn’t for Round 1. Hopefully a good sign.

7 Likes

There’s nothing wrong with asking people you know to call you if they have spare doses which need to be used.

When the day’s supply is about to expire, the goal is usually “just get it into anyone’s arm.”

3 Likes

If no one at your brother’s practice was infected with COVID while at work, the fact that they didn’t infect any patients doesn’t prove anything about how safe the setting is. They could have been sharing needles with the patients and not given them COVID.

I believe information that a covered entity has in its capacity as employer is not protected under HIPAA. See here.

This is obviously untrue. Part of a safe setting is taking precautions and setting expectations for staff so that they don’t bring covid in to work.

It may not be protected under HIPAA, but it could be protected under some other law. So, maybe I shouldn’t have said HIPAA specifically there.

For example, if an employer has your date of birth and address, I assume there is something that prevents them from giving that information out as well.

Yeah, I think we’re all agreed on that. We’re on to discussing something else. Admittedly, it’s a less useful topic. But these things happen sometimes.

1 Like

COVID-19: Chapter 8 - Has my dentist been vaxxed?

I wonder whether the dentist will works by same standards - maybe you’ll need a tattoo to prove you’ve been vaxxed to get an appointment.

1 Like

i suppose i simply don’t have any idea what the spare doses situation is. in my head there’s people in line outside on standby for the jab, while i’m am comfortable at home and honestly could ride out another 3-6 much more so than blue collar workers.

So with the last week my MIL in Ohio and my FIL and his gf in NY all got first doses (I think Pfizer in OH and Moderna in NY)

My 91 dad and his 88 gf are scheduled Mar 1 out in AZ.

Progress.

4 Likes

Straya.

It is expected the certificates will simplify visits to nursing homes and hospitals, and could even be required for interstate travel if future lockdowns are needed.

They will also play a role in the reopening of international borders, which is expected to begin from later this year.

The Pfizer vaccine is due to be rolled out nationally from the end of this month, while the distribution of AstraZeneca is due in March.

The federal parliament last week passed laws that require vaccine providers to record all the vaccines they administer, including the COVID-19 vaccine, on the national register.

Previously, the reporting of vaccinations had been voluntary.

Taken at face value this is not good. Especially since A-Z/Oxford is the vaccine most slotted for the developing world.

This is the worlds idiocy. If we used the known measures to control spread there would not be the occurrence nor opportunities for mutants to proliferate.

Even if these prelim results aren’t as bad as the headline, we are continuing to run the perfect program to develop strains that can get around immunity.

https://twitter.com/janinegibson/status/1358151228203683854?s=21

RFK Jr, what a jackass

https://www.rawstory.com/fox-anchor-called-out-for-conspiracy-theory-about/

Article is behind a paywall but I’m calling bullshit that the vaccine offers literally no protection at all. That would be super weird.

Didn’t read the article, but it doesn’t really matter as much if it doesn’t protect against mild and moderate disease. If it’s great against severe disease and death, then that’s not a a big deal. I kind of doubt that’s the case because these are probably all correlated, but I didn’t read the article.

Not paywalled for me but they describe a smaller scaled double blind w/ placebo trial in younger patients. I would guess their sample means the n was so small for the severe disease that the results might be misleading.

Seems legit, and concerning. Still the mRNA is more adaptable and effective.

1 Like

If it stops people from dying then it is good enough until we can ramp up or add additional mRNA vaccines. Also some of the most promising cheap 1shot vaccines are still in the pipeline.

I completely concur with the interpretation that this isn’t real bad news in the short term (with the caveat that severe disease and death are avoided or at least strongly minimized).

What I am concerned with is demonstrated antigen drift. That is the parts of the virus that the immune system recognizes are changing enough that the efficiency of binding antibodies and the whole signaling cascade of the immune system is being at least partially defeated.

The thing is that the mutants keep mutating. Eventually when something evolves that substantially evades the immune system AND society has relaxed we could have a significant outbreak.

I hopeful that we will be able to stay a step ahead with vaccine changes, booster shots, etc. I am discouraged that poor parts of the world will have less access which is a tragedy for those countries and also a reservoir for the damn virus to keep multiplying and evolving.

Basically, stay vigilant, don’t relax, don’t YOLO (or “IOWA”).

1 Like