COVID-19: Chapter 7 - Brags, Beats, and Variants

If we can’t attend vaccinated events safely then what the hell is the point of a vaccine? If that’s truly the case we are completely screwed.

8 Likes

Yeah this is an easy choice Coasterbrad, go to the dinner

1 Like

https://twitter.com/KeithNHumphreys/status/1357698957112086529?s=20

https://twitter.com/JimBlevins0/status/1357705700298936322?s=20

1 Like

Other states are playing so it’s safe! Oh wait they went forward with no data and actually in spite of what data that is available? Nah, other states are playing so it’s safe.

1 Like

Good lord. Apparently Fairfax is reopening schools, but is hiring redshirts to supervise kids while they take remote classes in person at school (with the teacher at home).

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/education/fairfax-loudoun-reopening-plan/2021/02/03/c56dcd70-65b9-11eb-8c64-9595888caa15_story.html

Brabrand said Fairfax is almost sufficiently staffed to instruct all of these children. Ninety percent of Fairfax staff members have either requested or scheduled vaccination appointments, he said, and many have indicated their readiness to return to teaching in-person in the meantime.

Still, as vaccinations proceed, Fairfax has been forced to hire “classroom monitors” to make up the gap — people who will “cover in-person classrooms for instructors who are teaching from home,” according to a school system news release.

Under Fairfax’s “concurrent” model of hybrid learning, educators will simultaneously teach in-person and remote students.

Grim stuff.

That Gibraltar claim by tweet is even more amazing when you know the first delivery of vaccine to Gib was 9th January and immunity takes c. 3 weeks from date of first jab (Hint: the drop in cases isn’t due to vaccination but nice to see it all the same)

1 Like

Meanwhile in the less developed world. :frowning:

I don’t know about the sharply part, but I agree overall. I think there is some environmental factor we don’t fully understand leading to these surges and quick retreats of COVID in different geographies, and it’s more than obvious now that a first wave does not insulate a place from having a second wave (NY, Florida, Texas, etc). We should expect more of these waves as time goes on.

We have the advantage of more natural immunity, better habits, and the vaccines. But we have the disadvantage that COVID has spread to every nook and cranny of the world at this point, the variants, and people may begin to loosen up if their perceive that it’s “over.”

Immediately after getting the vaccine, yes. After four weeks and immunity has built up, it seems highly unlikely. With, of course, the caveat that the vaccine isn’t 100% sure to give you immunity.

1 Like

The big unknown - vaccine and transmission

The factor that could have a significant impact on spread is whether vaccination stops transmission.

The trials showed the vaccines were good at stopping symptoms developing.

But it is not yet known whether those who have been vaccinated will still be able to pass the virus on.

Most people expect there will be some disruption to transmission but how much is not clear - and will not be for months.

AZ have completed real life tests that would indicate way less transmission but Pfizer and Moderna not yet completed same tests

UK first country to start vaccinations and the vaccinated remain on lockdown like everyone else

1 Like

Again, the chances of being able to transmit but not contract the disease are very small. This is germ theory stuff.

2 Likes

The messaging/media on this has been horrible. Twitter is full of people posting definitively that the vaccine does not impact transmission.

3 Likes

If I had the vaccine and waited four weeks, I would still mask up if I was going to a high-risk situation like a nursing home or something, because nothing is 100% in medicine. Except maybe rabies.

2 Likes

Again, I’m do not disagree the chances are low but coming from a poster that usually likes to have cites, medical studies and then peer review, this is the only area you state ‘meh, no studies to prove, buy y’all be fine’

Totally get it. We shouldn’t ease up on restrictions while the population is largely unvaxxed and we dont have data, 100% on board with masks and distancing required in public venues for the vaccinated. That said, we need 80%ish uptake on this vaccine. I know the public hates nuance, but just really wish we could get better communication on this from the government and a better job from the media besides “think a vaccine frees you? Not so fast”.

2 Likes

There’s like two centuries of germ theory to back up what he’s saying.

I’m just now remembering there was one documented case in history of a girl surviving full-blown rabies. Even then, the doctors were like “let’s shut her brain off and reboot and see if that helps.” Basically you shouldn’t fuck around if you get bitten by a wild animal, get that checked out. Rabies is a pretty gruesome way to die.

1 Like

Just Oxford vaccine in the study but looks as though chances of spreading fall by 50%, initial studies show…

If a vaccine only stops you getting severely ill, but you can still catch and pass on the virus, then everyone will need to be immunised to be protected.

But if it also stops you spreading the virus then it would have a far greater impact on the pandemic as each person who is vaccinated indirectly protects other people too.

The study by the University of Oxford swabbed participants every week to test them for the presence of the virus.

If there is no virus then they cannot spread it. In the study, the numbers testing positive halved in people once they had been given two doses of the vaccine.

“The data indicate that [the vaccine] may have a substantial impact on transmission by reducing the number of infected individuals in the population,” the report said.

A single person is known to have survived rabies! So even that is only like 99.9999999%

Also, if you want to slip into a deep depression, try estimating how many people die every year from rabies, then google the result. Then, you know, slip into a deep depression.

That’s what having a real education and understanding allows you to do sometimes

1 Like