COVID-19: Chapter 7 - Brags, Beats, and Variants

Whats the perecentage of asian americans in each area? They seem to be much more willing to mask up appropriately.

Thanks. I did find that info earlier, but I think it is (necessarily) very conservative and was wondering what the science folks here thought, considering Iā€™m only talking within my own household, and that we have some other considerations that necessitate taking some risk provided that itā€™s not excessive.

My instincts on the CDC guidelines (pasted below) is that the second and third bullets are far more important than the first bullet. But Iā€™m just spit-balling and maybe giving myself an answer that I want to hear.

1 Like

No my point was more you get the J&J vaccine now because thats all you can get. Then in 5-6 months when literally everyone can get it you get the Moderna to bring your effectiveness up to the 95%. My question was more would that be a problem, not if it would give you better immunity. Question was more if all these people who are forced to get the vaccines which only has 66% effectiveness, if they could get the moderna/pfizer one when its available to everyone.

That said I was only thinking of America and didnā€™t really consider the rest of the planet which was very selfish of me so yeah. Definitely should only get one vaccine. Would just suck to be stuck getting the J&J vaccine because I wouldnā€™t feel great about only having 66% protection.

FWIW I already had the Moderna vaccine, so has moms, so this wasnā€™t about me. Was just thinking about others getting stuck with the J&J one.

I know that was your point. I thought the research I linked was interesting and loosely connected is all.

Iā€™d expect the antigens to have high similarity. No clue how promiscuous^ the binding regions for the detection and signaling to the rest of the immune are.

^promiscuous is the actual term used

How long ago was it that your daughterā€™s symptoms started?

From an ethical rather than scientific standpoint, if you can remain isolated from people outside your household for the next two weeks (or longer, if symptoms develop in you and you have to reset that clock), then the decision about isolating from your daughter is more up to you than the CDC. Getting sick yourself, so long as youā€™re reasonably young and healthy, isnā€™t all that big a deal if youā€™re already set up to not spread it to anyone else.

Well sure, maybe it didnā€™t do much to prevent the spread of Covid, but think of how much has been accomplished in the evolution of alcohol-resistant pathogens!

1 Like

Her symptoms started this past Monday. We figure she was most contagious between last Saturday and Monday. She was improving by Thursday and pretty much 100% yesterday.

I know we are not in the clear yet even from the period when she was most contagious. (But of course, there is nothing we can do about that except stay quarantined from other people and let time pass.)

We would like to avoid catching it if possible, as we are in our early fifties and both overweight, but have no other really serious underlying conditions. But if the chances of catching it from her now are very slim, we want to drop the quarantine within our household. (Again, because it is very difficult on her for reasons I donā€™t want to get into.)

1 Like

But in my defense I had to find use for all that bleach I bought after hearing Trumpā€™s recommendation.

1 Like

Sounds like youā€™re not too far from that 10 day mark from symptoms onset, then, and thus meeting all the CDC criteria. Iā€™d hold out a little longer if possible, but obviously I donā€™t know the full extent of your situation.

1 Like

Itā€™s possible covid spreads as much as SARS-I did by surfaces, which shows you why SARS-I died out so quickly.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/saletan/status/1355972650087145479

Iā€™ll take it!

1 Like

Interesting! So I guess the ramp up in time to full effectiveness is pretty comparable the the mRNA vaccines from the time of your first shot, but there is no second shot? That is better than I appreciated, and it does make holding out for more than a week for a different vaccine look pretty foolish.

1 Like

Is it approved?

So friends, letā€™s say hypothetically that you are forced to fly across the United States in the next 60 days, including a connection.

What precautions would you take to best protect yourself (granting that the #1 precaution of not doing such a thing is impossible)?

Would you change any of said precautions if you had been vaccinated the appropriate time prior (i.e. stepping down from N95 to regular surgical/cloth masks)?

https://twitter.com/darakass/status/1355634523988512769

https://twitter.com/darakass/status/1355997856566562816

wtf is going on - just open it up to everyone if itā€™s going to be like this

Basically every state should be doing that imo. As soon as the sites arenā€™t swamped, open it up to the next tier. Thereā€™s no point barely vaccinating people for a week trying to get a tier finished.

1 Like

simple mask is all I did in June.

Good compliance with a normal mask is better than ok compliance with an N95. Itā€™s physically hard to wear a properly fitted N95 for that long.

If I was vaccinated for the correct amount of time, I would feel completely comfortable flying with a surgical mask right now. If not and I had no choice, then N95 or equivalent.

Not quite yet, but Iā€™d be shocked if it were not approved in the next 2-3 weeks. Itā€™s pretty unlikely that the numbers that have been released donā€™t stand up to further scrutiny.

Meanwhile, the soonest appointment my > 80 year old dad can get in NH is the end of March.

2 Likes