COVID-19: Chapter 7 - Brags, Beats, and Variants

My wife broke out in mild hives this morning which I’m assuming is from shot 1 yesterday. We both feel 100% except for a sore arm. I’m assuming the hives are just a mild normal reaction according to my googles but we’ll see if it gets worse.

3 Likes

2 Likes

When you make Jeb! look like a competent and not-at-all-corrupt governor

This prompted me to text my mom. She got her first shot yesterday (at Dodger Stadium - no idiots protesting yesterday). Her arm is sore, but not too bad. Otherwise fine. Moderna vaccine.

7 Likes

Thats the official position of the “Impfkommission” (an agency that advises on the use of vaccinations) in Germany at the moment. Apparently AstraZenica used mostly people below 65 years of age for their trials so without enough data of this age group they wont advise giving this vaccine to everyone.

That’s fair enough and is the same view France has taken, though the head of Oxford vaccine states that’s becuase the French can’t actually get supplied with it currently.

There were a few over 65yr olds in the trial (~8%?) but not enough however, considering the UK only has access to 2 vaccines currently and is only injecting 74yr+ at the moment (and health workers), there must be 4m+ over 65yr old UK’ers with Oxford vaccine for over 7 weeks now - we have tested those 65yr olds and continue to use AZ on them.

Trials show it is highly effective at preventing severe illness and deaths from coronavirus. But there have been questions about how well it works in people aged 65 and above, because there isn’t as much data for that age group - fewer than 10% of the trial volunteers were in this age bracket. However, there is other evidence to suggest the vaccine works very well in older adults.

Studies show that, like other age groups, the over-65s have a strong immune response to the vaccine. After receiving the shots their blood has plenty of the required antibodies that can fight the coronavirus. It will be up to individual countries to decide who - including which age groups - to offer the shots to.

The bigger question will be how soon EU nations can get large deliveries of the vaccine. Supplies of this and other Covid vaccines are in huge demand, but there is a limit to how much can be manufactured at pace.

How effective is the AstraZeneca vaccine?

Germany’s vaccine commission has said it cannot recommend the use of the jab in people aged over 65, citing a lack of data on how it affected this age group.

Individual EU countries are free to decide who vaccines should be given to, once they have been approved.

However, the UK has been using the AstraZeneca vaccine in its mass immunisation programme for weeks now, and public health officials say it is safe and provides “high levels of protection”.

Research has shown it is highly effective. No-one who received the Oxford vaccine in trials was hospitalised or became seriously ill due to Covid.

The vaccine is given via two injections to the arm, the second between 4 and 12 weeks after the first.

it sucks, man.

Refresh my memory - is it 7 days following dose 2 of the Pfizer vaccine that was the magic time for it to have “fully kicked in”?

We cannot be complacent over new variants

The director of the Oxford Vaccine Group has said the world should work together on Covid vaccinations and warned against complacency over the new variants.

“There is a moral case for trying to make sure people are protected everywhere,” Professor Andrew Pollard told Radio 4’s Broadcasting House programme.

“But also a selfish reason – our health security absolutely depends on preventing disease in those in other countries who we might be interacting with and might bring new variants here as well.”

He says the UK has over-ordered vaccines but whether it sends any to the EU is “a decision for politicians to make later on”.

Prof Pollard warns “we absolutely cannot be complacent” over new variants.

“While we allow it to continue to transmit in many parts of the world, that’s exactly the circumstance…that new variants will arrive,” he says.

He says data in the “very near future” will show current vaccines as effective against the Kent variant.

But the South African and Brazilian strains are “much more concerning”, he says.

Scientists will adapt vaccines to tackle those variants during the course of this year, he says.

Link to above…

It’s difficult to say. You’re definitely past peak contagiousness (which is right before the onset of symptoms, for covid and basically every other viral respiratory disease), but you may still be somewhat contagious until you get a negative PCR test. If getting tested again isn’t possible, I’d still be very cautious. Is there a time and a place you can go take a walk outside where you know there will have no one around? I’d still be doing curbside for groceries and delivery instead of takeout for any restaurant food for at least the next week or so.

That’s about right, but again, “fully kicked in” means “mostly protected in the context of mask wearing and social distancing.” You can’t really YOLO until mass vaccination has knocked down the viral abundance in your community to basically zero.

1 Like

Thanks for your response. I was never positive - just my daughter. (I probably confused things because earlier I assumed my wife and I would both be positive as all 3 of us had a runny nose last week, and I was feeling tired with hot and cold flashes the day our daughter tested positive.)

We are wondering for how long she might be contagious for after returning to 100%. It is very difficult for us to try to remain quarantined from her for reasons I’m not totally comfortable discussing. If there is very little risk of her being contagious we would like to forego the use of masks in the house.

My wife and I got our PCR test results today and were both negative. Those tests were done Friday afternoon. So far we both still feel ok.

We are using door dash for groceries for now.

1 Like

Re: multiple vaccines, looks like some people are working on it.

https://twitter.com/TheGazmanRants/status/1355495906800508933

I don’t think there’s any ethical quandary about taking two doses of two different vaccines vs. two doses of the same one, but there’s more work to be done to show greater statistical confidence in this approach.

Got it, I missed the boat on you being negative and your concern being quarantining from members of your own household rather than from the community at large. I’m pretty impressed that you managed to stay negative, tbh. In your own house, you’re definitely through the worst of it, but wanting to ditch masks entirely is gonna depend on your own risk tolerance and your ability to take time off and quarantine yourself if your daughter does end up giving it to you.

Thanks.

I actually know of three instances so far that had sick children (2 of the cases) and a sick adult (1 case) in the house who tested positive and managed to successfully quarantine without any other family member catching it. Those were older children and an adult though, and they basically locked themselves away in a bedroom and had food, liquids, and medicines left outside their door. We can’t do that with my daughter so we have to take some risks.

1 Like

Yeah, my infant daughter got hand foot and mouth disease from daycare just under a year ago, and I thought I was being super cautious with gloves and stuff while handling her, and I still got it. MrsWookie was much less cautious but nevertheless dodged it. Different disease, obviously, but it can be kinda random, and it’s really hard to keep yourself safe from a sick infant even with the best of precautions.

1 Like

That’s what I’ve been saying this whole time.

1 Like

Huh. Crazy on position 1 correlates with crazy in position 2, 3, …

https://twitter.com/michiganadvance/status/1355874391502974979?s=21

This is the lady leading Michigan’s let them play high school sports movement.she testified at a gop committee.

“However, health officials weren’t invited to testify.“

The CDC has a range of recommendations: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/if-you-are-sick/end-home-isolation.html#:~:text=People%20who%20are%20severely%20ill,healthcare%20provider%20for%20more%20information.

2 Likes

I was personally thinking about two doses of two different vaccines (or if like J&J only one was recommended, then just one of that one would be fine).

That’s definitely TL/DR for me but I’m assuming in those two vaccines are inducing production of the exact same antigen. Is that correct?