COVID-19: Chapter 7 - Brags, Beats, and Variants

US records 90,844 Covid deaths in January alone

Close to 100,000 coronavirus-related deaths have been recorded in the United States since New Year’s Day, according to Johns Hopkins University data.

So far in January, 90,844 deaths have been reported, a record monthly high, data on the university’s Covid dashboard showed.

Some 23,274 of those deaths were reported in the week 10 January to 16 January, itself a record week, with a further 22,652 reported over the following seven days.

According to Johns Hopkins, there have now been a total of 436,799 Covid deaths in the US since the pandemic began.

Are they all equally effective?

It is hard to compare one company’s results with another as their trials will have been conducted in slightly different ways and at points in the pandemic.

However, all the main vaccines seem to have a large impact on your chances of needing hospital treatment or dying from Covid.

However, one of the most important questions - do they stop you spreading the virus - remains unknown.

Understanding which method produces the best results will be explored in challenge trials where people are deliberately infected with the virus.

What about variants?

New versions of the coronavirus are emerging in countries around the world.

However, there is a warning sign in the data from Janssen and Novavax which have the first “real-world” data on the new variants.

Both showed a dip in their overall effectiveness in South Africa, where a new and worrying variant has been spreading.

The results were still good and clearly better than no vaccine at all, but they emphasise how coronavirus is a moving target.

We may need to change the vaccines we use in the future.

2 Likes

Even just one carriage return would have helped a ton. And if the boilerplate right after didn’t start with “Positive test results for SARS antigen…” as the first thing that really catches your eye - that would also help.

And of course the goofy “SARS Antigen FIA -” followed by two carriage returns, then “-- SARS ANTIGEN FIA” with no colon or anything, then like 17 spaces, then the word “Negative” floating out in space, then a random “F 6” out in the middle of nowhere.

I mean duh of course any sentient human should instantly know what all that means, with zero doubts, when it’s only your life on the line.

1 Like

This was a really good article. I did laugh at this though, because it’s wrong. The author writes that if Fauci left the administration he would have united the scientific and medical communities against Trump:

The effect of such a collective action is difficult to predict, but it’s not unthinkable Trump could’ve been removed from office, especially if Fauci had sufficiently damning evidence to share.

2 Likes

Nobody disputes that in person is better than remote.

It’s the narrative that kids don’t get sick and especially kids don’t spread that is in question itt. Clearly there are two camps itt. So be it.

I would just ask that others consider that it’s not independent of what’s going on in the community. That when the community incidence is high that ANY indoor gathering is going act as a multiplier. Teachers don’t want to go in person because they know of colleagues that have gotten very ill or died.

All the studies of “ideal” schools do not negate what happens in “typical” schools, especially urban districts and in the US rural red districts w poor masking. No clue in UK/EU particulars.

Any community that allows indoor dining is simply not serious about opening their schools. Which is the majority if not almost universal on this side of the pond.

Let’s get cases down and in IMO that includes remote learning. Let’s set some standards^ for OFS and stick to them. Then let’s get back to in person school.

^level of community spread below X. Also that masking is 100%, improved ventilation, I like the 50% attendance similar to the local district here. No indoor sports games until community spread is at a very low level.

This post is an attempt to depersonalize the debate.

5 Likes

Is an Instacart tip that works out to $30/hour (estimated shopping and driving time of 2 hours) fair? Or do people base the tip on a percent of the total dollar amount like a dinner order?

And now you are a fully evolved mutant who’s super power is going out to dinner*. Congrats!

*Don’t go out to dinner

2 Likes

California has become the second state with more than 40,000 deaths. Texas is on deck.

No worries. I know there are quite a few Okies in here and couldn’t remember if you were one of them.

So how do we actually feel that once again its the wealthy nations > ROW?

According to that article EU, UK, Canada and some others already ordered so many doses that they could vaccinate their population 3-4 times. Yet the poorer countries probably wont get anything in the shortterm.
I am pretty sure if somebody suggested for example that the doses to the EU get cut by 10% to vaccinate healthcare personal in Africa or Asia there would be a huge outcry. Hell I wouldnt bet on how members of the forum, who identify mostly as left and liberal, would react to such a proposal.

1 Like

Czech government talking about opening the schools partially in a couple of weeks and keeping them safe by doing covid saliva tests regularly on students and teachers.

No specifics provided beyond that but I doubt those are reliable.

Directed at the poster, not the proposal. I don’t know anything about how many doses the UK had gotten until you said something and certainly have nothing against worldwide vaccination equity, and quadruply so given that the UK has 4x as many as they need.

Maybe you meant to post this somewhere else

Pretty bad tbh. The world’s poorest people are clearly going to be screwed yet again.

If I had a vote I’d enthusiastically back your proposal.

Dont think you really understand. You have ordered 4 times you havent received 4 times yet. So its easy to say yeah we can cut 10% of our order but will you still be that enthusiastically about that when we talk about 10% of the doses you would receive next week and all the following weeks delaying your own vaccination (depending on your priority)? Right now every country fights for every dose it can get their hands on. In Germany people argue we should have ordered even more when we realized we wont get enough through the EU fast enough. It’s “everyone for himself” again.
I firmly believe that in 1-200 years historians will look back at this time and look at this the same way we now look at imperalism, colonisation, British Empire or the killing of the American natives for example.

1 Like

Let’s set aside the “don’t care” point and focus on the idea that communities with less school resources probably are a big reason why this disparity.

https://twitter.com/justiceaudre/status/1355225315824566272?s=21

Vaccinate the world’s vulnerable first

Coronavirus vaccines should be given to all vulnerable groups and health workers across the globe before each country starts giving the jabs out more widely, the World Health Organisation (WHO) says.

This is morally and economically “the right thing to do”, WHO spokeswoman Margaret Harris told BBC Breakfast.

She says: "There have been a number of very interesting analyses showing that just vaccinating your own country and then sitting there and saying ‘we’re fine’ will not work economically.

“We’re so connected and unless we get all societies working effectively once again, every society will be financially effected.”

When asked to clarify whether once the UK has vaccinated the top nine priority groups, it should help efforts elsewhere instead of continuing its own immunisations, Ms Harris says: "We’re asking all countries in those circumstances to do that - ‘hang on, wait for those other groups’.

“Rather than rushing to vaccinate one country, we need to be doing the lot and we need to be doing it together.”

The UK will probably hit 20% of population vaccinated during March 2021. The UK is a founder member of COVAX, which US also joined around 22 Jan 2021 - COVAX members pledge not to vaccinate more than 20% of their population before donating vaccines elsewhere so we’ll see if any effect after that point in vaccination programme

3 Likes

100% agree this should be the goal. Great link.

Geopolitics will get in the way of course. Then within countries all the standard inequities will apply as well. Prisons should be prioritized but New York and I’m sure other US states are actually Choosing to not vaccinate inmates for now.

Basically institutional living and all healthcare should get first dibs.

After that the next categories vs some kind of systematic formula to get spread down ASAP would be an interesting cost benefit calc.

But lol any of that gets done. If your country has no leverage good luck.

1 Like

Your chances of getting infected drastic go down!

2 Likes

This is something I’m thinking a lot about myself. Not necessarily that combination, but I’m wondering how much benefit there would be to get multiple vaccines.

1 Like