COVID-19: Chapter 7 - Brags, Beats, and Variants

I’ve heard “late spring”. LA Times said LA is currently on pace to get group 1A and 1B done by late June.

How many right-wingers even remember the president pumping this shit for months? They never learn anything because they never acknowledge when they were wrong about anything. Just straight down the goldfish memory hole and onto the next outrage.

7 Likes
Have you received the COVID vaccine? (For purpose of this poll, the first shot counts as Yes)
  • Yes
  • No, but am certain to within a month
  • No
  • No, and I never will! Down with science!

0 voters

dude i still get told that hcq works. There was some big to do about an AMA resolution from Rush Limbaugh about how the AMA admitted hcq works. Problem is that it was a proposed resolution that was roundly rejected.

Related story. I got my first vaccine dose today. Eligible through work, even though it’s true that literally all grocery store workers, factory workers, and other essential personnel are both at higher risk and do more important work than me. I feel guilty especially about getting it before my 75 year old parents. I was convinced by the recent Weeds podcast that said vials were being wasted because vaccination sites weren’t getting enough eligible people to come in though. Also, despite having an appointment, it was a big warehouse setup with a bunch of tables and first come, first served lines. The appointments were just in place to keep the lines reasonable. It was an operation that I really hope overbooks; I’d rather come back another day than see vials wasted by no shows. Still, I had the last appointment slot of the day and they had a vial for me. I assume that means they had even more left over that are now in the trash (not much, my table’s supply was exhausted, but they had more at a neighboring table). So if you can get an appointment, do it, don’t worry about priorities - that’s something for central planners to try to get right.

The process for getting an appointment was at first an absolute mess, then extremely easy using a different system. It was both shocking and depressing to see the difference between what most of the country is or will be dealing with and what it could be. Initially we had a medical guy in our organization scouring the area for vaccines and sending company wide emails with leads for everyone to set up their own appointments. It was tough to actually get anything scheduled. There was also a weird dynamic going on where we were doing info sharing with other organizations with eligible employees to find more opportunities but then competing with them on an individual level to get appointments. Basically how most eligible people are going about it now, although I imagine it really sucks being a retired old person trying to do it all on your own.

Then a few days ago we got everyone registered with a website run by the CDC for administering vaccines and it’s been great. My organization preauthorized everyone under a given eligibility group, it allowed me to search across county/state lines for hospitals, clinics, random popup sites, whatever, and I found a site like 40 miles away where I ultimately ended up. That’s how it should be for everyone. And not only that but we could have been registering people this whole time and it would’ve been super easy to match priority patients with vaccines as they rolled out. But you need your employer or county health department to register you, and most counties are doing their own thing. So instead you have individuals who are forced to coordinate with their county health departments and they’re only going to help you find appointments within the county. My parents live in a county that has more demand than supply. The neighboring county is the opposite but they recently got super offended that people would cross county lines to take their supply so they’ve cut that off. It’s an absolute disgrace that the federal plan has just been acquire vaccines → send to states → let them figure out the rest.

8 Likes

In the South African part of the trial, where most of the cases were the South African variant of the virus, the vaccine was 60% effective among those without HIV.

Stan Erck, chief executive of Novavax, said the results from the UK trial were “spectacular” and “as good as we could have hoped”, while the efficacy in South Africa was “above people’s expectations”.

All vaccines still quiet on efficacy against Brazil P1 variant

1 Like

It will end up better than that I think we all will get vax 1.0 by late fall. We may get at least one more manufacturer added to the list

66% doesn’t sound that great? Need some context to understand how that is actually good news I guess.

They can ship it to the derps on my Facebook feed. They’re still talking about HCQ as a miracle cure. Two of them caught covid and blame there mild outcomes on HCQ, rather than the fact that just cases are mild.

What I can’t believe is how there’s a lack of vaccines when places are throwing them out at the same time.

Supply chain management apaprently isn’t a thing.

That’s about the same effectiveness as the flu vaccine on average. So probably enough to get approved. But I would rather get the Moderna or Oxford vaccines.

Apparently, a single-shot vaccine exists now

Not sure if 66% effectiveness is good enough to be put into use but if enough people get the shot, it might not make much of a difference.

EDIT: Yeah, slow pony whatevs

Typically its hard to get approval unless you show better results than already approved products, without something else compelling like a much better safety profile, etc. (At least thats my impression of how new drug approval works.)

Maybe in this case they approve it anyway solely due to shortages of the approved vaccines?

I was reading that the j%j vaccine is 85% effective at preventing severe disease, which IMO, is the biggest statistic. not to mention its way easier logistically to give 1 shot to lots of people vs 2

clearly it’s better to get one of the mRNA vaccines, but another vaccine is great news at helping to slow the spread.

1 Like

But if you take two of them then it’s 132% effective.

16 Likes

Seems like good news in that getting this vaccine out to lower-risk or hard-to-reach people will do good work in helping to reduce death and disease. Not sure what it does for any potential approaches to loosen restrictions on the vaccinated down the line i.e. do all vaccinated get the same ability to attend concerts, travel, etc?

It’s not really great and about the same as the Oxford/AZ efficacy, but it’s deemed enough to be useful in getting the pandemic under control.