COVID-19: Chapter 7 - Brags, Beats, and Variants

In positive news my wife had two patients today (normal ICU workload) for the first time since October. They also closed one of the temporary auxiliary ICUs at her hospital.

25 Likes

Amen

2 Likes

Fuckin a dude

Icu is last to decompress

I donā€™t think they are back to fully normal staffing yet but even having one day of 2:1 sounds like it was a nice break for her.

2 Likes

Lol. I probably was there first back in March talking about mutants and concerns about it in these threads. Afaik, Iā€™m the only one here who has made bacterial mutants on purpose and battled virus mutations and had 99.9999% of a 1 million liter fermenter die to a bacteriophage attack.

Is covid 2.0 worse than covid 1.0? I Donā€™t dispute that. Got on board with the totality of the evidence within a couple of weeks, held out some skepticism in the early reports.

You still completely miss the point. Completely. Johnny just stated it very very well.

As far as the two week shutdown thing you also donā€™t get it or donā€™t want to get it. Itā€™s a suggestion to try and come up with quick knockdown that could possibly be sold to the public. I totally think it should be two months but there are all these open for school morons that donā€™t get it. Itā€™s called trying to find a workable practical solution.

I have a grandson in pre-K, nieces in grades 3 and 4. Donā€™t tell me I donā€™t have skin in the game. Lots of friends that are teachers. A SIL with PTSD from her memory care job catastrophe. Had a son miss most of 11thbgrade with migraines and how that completely disrupted his life path. And Fuck all, maybe Iā€™m especially paranoid about OFS because I am the parent of a dead son (car accident 13 years ago). So I know exactly what the worse feels like. A knock on the damn door at 5 AM. Bleep you. When your kid doesnā€™t text you back do you quickly start to think that their dead? Welcome to my world.

I live and breathe microbiology, parenting, and grief. Itā€™s why I get so pissed off dealing with morons.

5 Likes

From that article:

Apparently, optimists are mentally ill. The depressed are realists.

3 Likes

This vaccine shortage is just insane. Fucking China can build a hospital in a week but the US and Canada canā€™t engage the military or private sector and build a fucking production facility in a few months. Who cares what it costs? Who care how much you have to pay Pfizer or Moderna for the rights. Just make the god damn vaccine.

Iā€™m so over this. Fuck.

4 Likes
2 Likes

Thanks that was a good read. I still canā€™t believe more canā€™t be done. This has to be the number one global goal.

Even more frustrating is LA on pace to get the vaccines they do have into peopleā€™s arms some time in 2022. Weā€™re not even close to getting through healthcare workers yet.

Every article I read is just massive clusterfuck. Not enough sites. Website is a mess. Cities and counties bickering about whoā€™s going to staff it. Just fucking do it you assholes.

Every fucking day the Governor, Mayor and County Commissioner should have their feet roasted over an open fire until this shit improves.

2 Likes

Why canā€™t you believe more canā€™t be done? Is it due to faith in the power of technology?

And people. We went from zero to walking in the moon in a few years. Zero to massive plane production in 6 months during ww2.

And we went from no vaccines to at least 3 that work in about a year. Itā€™s really unprecedented

1 Like

expectations arenā€™t really reasonable, this amount done this quickly is unprecedented

I think there will be less time between the start of the pandemic and vaccinating everyone than between JFK announcing the goal of landing on the Moon and Neil Armstrong actually doing so.

You had a bunch of people still jobless due to the Depression who could be put into service on the assembly line. You canā€™t get just take people whose employment has been disrupted by COVID and get them making the vaccine.

I came into this thinking it might be 2-3 years before we had a working vaccine, so in my mind weā€™re ahead of schedule.

The existence of a vaccine we canā€™t get is the same as no vaccine at all.

Patience. The speed of this is unprecedented

The rational side of my brain knows that getting a working vaccine for a novel virus into arms within a year is perhaps the biggest technological success story of all time.

But then I see the boxes with the vials of the magic elixir in them and think my god we did the hard part and we just canā€™t get MORE boxes of MORE magic juice?!

3 Likes

*excluding LA

I will take both my mom and m-in-l to get vaccinated tomorrow morning. I have heard of two people in health care in my immediate circle who have had at least one shot and none who havenā€™t.

Youā€™re over 50 arenā€™t you? I bet that cutoff comes along pretty soon.

4 Likes