COVID-19: Chapter 7 - Brags, Beats, and Variants

It doesn’t actually demonstrate anything about the prevalence of infections if you test randomly in one group (students) and test symptomatic people in the other group. The missing information you need to do a valid comparison is how many infections you would find if you tested adults. It’s a completely expected result that testing more thoroughly for COVID cases will find more COVID cases.

2 Likes

Pretty sure it was a respected scientist saying data shows no more impact in areas where schools are open than closed. I don’t have kids, so only breezed through the article, but found it interesting

I’m not sure the consequences are gong to get any more devastating than they already are. We finally have an administration who’s taking this very seriously and doing everything it can. It’s very important to get kids back to school both for their own development and the hardship sake of working parents. We have a few more dark weeks left, but I do think after that things will finally start to improve from everything I’m hearing and reading

To add on to this, these facts should surprise no one.

1. Schools and day cares are well described sources of viral pathogens, both respiratory and GI spread viruses

2. Studies done on this topic are hilariously bad and full of type 2 error/bias.

2 Likes

You read shitty data and lies. Jfc get a clue everyone.

I have practically no friends where I live and I know people who have had it. Everybody I know knows somebody who has (had) it.

I mean the clustering nature of randomness says there will be likely be x number of people in population P who don’t know anyone whose had it, even given large numbers of infections.

These fucking numbskulls think it’s evidence of some kind of a hoax.

Countries that have used genomic surveillance before Nov’ 2020 disagree

https://twitter.com/JAMAPediatrics/status/1352752909847560192?s=20

Throughout this pandemic, many of us in the field of pediatric infectious diseases have been asked some version of the question, “Can children spread COVID-19?” As if somehow anything in medicine is binary. When a question begins with “can,” the answer is almost always yes. Unfortunately, in too many parts of the world, the decisions to open or not open schools and childcare facilities have stopped there, ignoring the nuance necessary to understand the question. We know far more now about both transmission dynamics and mitigation measures than we did in March 2020 when most schools shut down. The preponderance of evidence now shows that children 10 years and younger, as in the study by Tönshoff et al,6 are both less likely to acquire SARS-CoV-2 infection13,14 and less likely to transmit it to others.15 Proper mitigation measures can reduce that risk even further.16

Once again Churchill I have no idea what you’re trying to say

The tweet you posted actually was about children vs adults, but whatever. I think it’s a very fair point that you can’t draw any conclusions about in-school vs out-school infections without a comparable testing regime, so I agree with you there.

It seems unfounded to say that this shows that children do transmit the virus well. What that data (sort of) suggests is that something like 40% of detectable cases at any given time are a- or presymptomatic, and you could find them with random testing. Although it may not even do that since it’s not really clear how much testing they were doing or on what basis. But 40ish % is actually less than I would have guessed in young kids.

I still don’t know anyone who has had it (not counting some of the UPers ITT).

I know a ton of people who have had it, including a death in the family.

Two people where I work pozzed.

I might be able to get the vax next month, apparently. We’re scheduled to go back to court mid-March (our third attempt at re-opening, after we tried in August and again in October), and allegedly if that is still the plan by mid-February I’ll get a letter stating I’m an essential government employee or front line judiciary or something that puts me in the 1B tier. It’s cool, but I don’t think Mrs. Catface will be eligible for a while so my life won’t change much for all intents and purposes if I get it. I guess I can go do our grocery shopping and get out of the house some.

Still waiting for my letter saying I’m an essential factory worker making things that keep humanity functioning. funny even though we couldn’t shutdown during any of the lockdowns I don’t have it yet.

2 Likes

Was not familiar with the novel, but after reading the wiki I think I’m going to have to read it.

People may soon be offered a “spit in a pot” coronavirus test, after promising trial results.

The LampORE test checks for the virus in saliva samples, and work carried out with the help of more than 1,000 NHS volunteers shows it is good at finding cases, even if someone has no symptoms.

Pop-up labs that can process up to 2,000 tests a day have been set up in trucks that could travel the country.

It’s all pretty stupid, and I disagree with some of the value judgments that were made in developing the tiers. 100% agree with you that if your state has deemed you essential when it comes to lockdowns, you should be among the first in line for a vax. The stuff I do is certainly not essential.

Yeah it’s pretty fucked up how some people with very little risk are getting vaccinated for being essential but people like factory workers, warehouse workers, and grocery store workers are getting fucked because society doesn’t give a shit about them.

All the warehouses around me are getting HAMMERED. Like they’re been getting 15-20 pozzes a month. I’m doing WFH for a warehouse right now and they’ve had 20+ people poz over the last 2 months.

1 Like