COVID-19: Chapter 7 - Brags, Beats, and Variants

I have reservations about spending that much money on dinner too (and I love a good restaurant).

It looks like one of those POA times when if you’re asking how much it costs, you can’t afford it.

2 Likes

I got the biggest laugh out of my wife for ages the other day by as casually and deadpan as I could manage just saying, “fancy going somewhere for dinner?”

Pretty depressing joke when you think about it, but a laugh’s a laugh.

4 Likes

https://twitter.com/super_girl_kara/status/1353345519544766465?s=21

8 Likes

That’s quick. Good news.

Not that I’m disagreeing but it’s funny because I’m pretty sure Illinois has some of the strictest measures in the country.

Where I live a lot of restaurants just disregarded them anyway.

I don’t go inside anywhere except the office. But the only remaining likely transmission threat in my office doesn’t wear a mask and has been going out to eat this whole time. I’m upping my mask game.

California needs to get vulnerable people vaccinated before OFB.

Stricter measures like this need to happen like in China, imo.

One thing that the pandemic has confirmed is how many selfish arseholes there are who think it’s somehow brave or hilarious to disregard rules.

3 Likes

NH and MA have had indoor dining open since the summer and it still remains open now. Seems absolutely bonkers to me, but I do know people going out to eat. (And most have them have gotten pozzed recently or have family that have gotten pozzed recently.)

NYC running low on 1st doses

NYC doses

1 Like

They think I’m the idiot for wearing a mask. It’s a hell of a thing living among the death cult.

None of this is a surprise at this point. The unspoken USA policy is pretty uniformly if there’s an extra empty ICU bed, there’s an extra restriction that can be lifted. Not really a red state/blue state difference either. Blue states just a little more conservative on how far they will push the healthcare system and a little more strict on the margins. The underlying approach is the same though. The goal isnt reducing COVID numbers, it is reopening the economy. COVID numbers are just a nuisance in the way of that.

10 Likes

That adds nothing. It was suggested that gates has some nefarious motive for doing this. That does not make sense as I outlined in my post

Welp, that’s terrible. Glad he’s taking it though.

1 Like

I didn’t read it like that. The tweet just said that Gates had persuaded them to go private and that there are issues with distribution. I didn’t take from it that Gates told them to go private in order to have issues with distribution or to enable people to profit in a shady manner.

Fair enough if you were just saying whatever conspiracy theories you found were false, but it sounded like you were saying Gates influence on their decision was itself a conspiracy theory. I guess we more-or-less agree.

(Obviously the person thinks that going private is bad because it will mean licence fees and poorer countries loosing out, but we’ll have to see about that.)

I can’t find another source that really confirms that Gates did this, and if so, why. The only thing I can find is ‘well bill gates is worth 10b more no don’t look at the stock market he’s making money on this’

When I go digging, I quickly get into stuff suggesting Gates created covid.

https://investors.modernatx.com/news-releases/news-release-details/moderna-covid-19-vaccine-retains-neutralizing-activity-against

4 Likes

Fair enough, I’m all for checking sources ourselves. To me if Bloomberg attributes a quote directly to him and it’s about getting funding from a Pharmaceutical company for a clinical trial everything seems fairly normal and non conspiratorial.

1 Like

Nope. Just OFB today.

Lol, this governor kind of sucks. I didnt even know we were still under a stay at home order.

No mention of Brazil P.1 variant but looking good against UK variant however protection could disappear quicker against SA variant so working on recipe for a third booster

The findings are yet to be peer reviewed, but suggest immunity from the vaccine recognises the new variants.

Neutralising antibodies, made by the body’s immune system, stop the virus from entering cells.

Blood samples exposed to the new variants appeared to have sufficient antibodies to achieve this neutralising effect, although it was not as strong for the South Africa variant as for the UK one.

Moderna says this could mean that protection against the South Africa variant might disappear more quickly.

Prof Lawrence Young, a virus expert at Warwick Medical School in the UK, said this would be concerning.

Moderna is currently testing whether giving a third booster shot might be beneficial.