COVID-19: Chapter 7 - Brags, Beats, and Variants

Then why are you on the internet? You know you’ll end up on the RPF if somebody puts in ethics on you

I have all of them on tape doing teh goat sex, not worried

3 Likes

How goes COVID? This thread, and the world it represents, depresses me too much to click on it frequently.

Here in Japan, we’re setting new highs every day and there’s not even talk of a vaccine on the way.

BUT that’s OK, because we’re still gonna have the summer Olympics!

Yeah. Seperate thread. Please. For the love of god.

1 Like

The website for reserving vaccinations opened at 8 AM for people over 80. It crashed by 9 AM.

75,000 visited the site in the first two minutes. 44,000 people were able to register in the first hour, 2,000 of them were given an appointment. For fuck’s sake there are 400,000 people in this country over 80.

The 1221 phone number for vaccine reservations had a hold time of 2 hours. Again, most who called didn’t get an appointment.

They’ve had over a month to set up the infrastructure for making reservations and this is what happened.

lol Czech Republic now and forever. Way more incompetent than America. Also more infected.

It’s piss poor because they should have had this in hand months ago.

A month is nothing for a government trying to build a robust online registration/scheduling system capable of handling up to half a million registrations in an hour and 75,000 in two minutes.

Not this one apparently.

Couldn’t do a worse job if they tried.

BTW as Andrej Babiš confirmed, “The system did not collapse, as some claimed, but it was overloaded.”

So changing the word somehow changes the situation. It amazes that this somehow remains the most popular party in the country. It’s Trumpian in nature.

Math guys Can someone run this

Say you pick 200 random people that live in Michigan and put them into Michigan Stadium

What are the odds that 0 of those people currently have covid.

Today

Worldometer has the number of active cases in Michigan at 146,983 and the population of Michigan as 8,535,519.

The probability of a particular person in Michigan being COVID positive would then be (146,983)/(8,535,519) = 0.0172. The probability of not being positive is then 1 - 0.0172 = 0.9828. (I’m carrying more sig figs in a spreadsheet.)

The probability of 200 Michigan residents not being positive is then (0.9828)^200 = 0.031 = 3.1%.

My instinct is that this is an overestimate, since Worldometer is almost certainly undercounting cases, but they might also be defining “active” in a way that lasts long after the person is no longer infectious, in which case the result is a bit misleading.

Did everything correct except for the population of Michigan which is 10 million, not 8.5 million.

I’m getting just over 5% on “no positives in 200 random Michigan residents”.

Last one. What if we have 300 people in Michigan stadium.

I appreciate the help.

Whoops, my eyes skipped down two lines to Virginia somehow. RECALCULATING!

Probability of one person being positive = 0.0147
Probability of not being positive = 0.9853
Probability of 200 not being positive = 0.9853^200 = 0.0515 = 5.15%

For 300 people, 0.9853^300 = 0.0117 = 1.17%

The 0.9853 value above can be used for any number of people.

Like this:
0.9853^300 = 1.17% for 300 people
0.9853^20 = 74.4% for 20 people
0.9853^750 = 0.0015% for 750 people

1 Like

I’m a little bit disappointed that the priority given to teachers is only to K-12 teachers. I will be back in the classroom in just over a week, and I feel like teachers who are in the classroom at the college level should be included in that priority group, as well.

I feel reasonably ok about it - there will be a maximum of 13 students in a classroom that normally seats 45, masks will be required, and the university will be testing all students once a week, with positive cases being put in university quarantine. It’s definitely going to feel strange being in a classroom for the first time in more than a year.

4 Likes

They had almost a year! It’s obviously not funny, it’s a massive disaster with an incalculable human cost, but it also is funny to imagine the cabinet meetings that must have happened all over the world a couple months ago:

SCIENCE MINISTER: In conclusion, we’ve invented an entirely new type of vaccine technology which, incidentally, holds incredible promise for a wide array of diseases, but the takeaway for today’s meeting is that it’s a miracle cure for the disease. We’ll have 10 million doses by December and 100 million by March.

PRIME MINISTER: Thank you for that report Jan. Incredible work by everyone involved. Now then, what’s the status of the website?

Long, awkward pause

RANDOM MINISTER: …the website, Mr. Prime Minister?

1 Like

It’s definitely a spectrum of immunity, since the vaccines are effective in preventing severe cases among the 5% who still get covid. So it might be more like 95% get 100% immunity and 5% get 50% immunity.

2 Likes

This is bizarre to me as well. Here in NY some quick lobbying by the city and state university unions had the governor add the line “in-person college instructors” to the list of those eligible. That’s what it says on here:
https://www1.nyc.gov/site/doh/covid/covid-19-vaccine-eligibility.page

There has also be discussion by some on internal emails as to whether or not this means you have to be currently teaching in person to be eligible.

Either way the wording on various lists is inconsistent as well. At this link it reads that “teachers and education workers” are eligible.
https://covid19.nychealthandhospitals.org/UnaffiliatedHealthCareWorkers

1 Like

Lol i’m never gonna be able to get it

The way california has handled this has been atrocious. I’m starting to be on board with the “recall newsom” shit.

1 Like

We don’t really know how immune any one person is to the pathogen in question once vaccinated, at least in terms of how much of the pathogen they can get exposed to without getting sick. It’s difficult and ethically dubious to test something like that. What is measured, and what the 95% number means in this case, is that between the vaccinated and unvaccinated populations, 95% fewer people get sick. It’s not usually clear whether the 5% who got sick were the bottom 5% least protected vs. being the ones engaged in the top 5% of viral exposure.

We do know that 0% of people got hospitalized for covid (although based on a pretty small sample size of people who both were vaccinated and got sick), so basically everyone gets some level of protection, even the 5%. But ultimately, even though being vaccinated does protect you, what truly offers the immunity is having zero prevalence of the virus around you when virtually everyone is vaccinated, not strictly being totally virus-proof oneself.

2 Likes