COVID-19: Chapter 7 - Brags, Beats, and Variants

The committee stands ready, willing, and able.

Pre-departure Covid-19 testing will be required for everyone travelling to the UK from 04:00 GMT on Friday.

People arriving by plane, train or boat, including UK nationals, will have to take a test up to 72 hours before leaving the country they are in.

All those arriving from places not on the governmentā€™s travel corridor list must still self-isolate for 10 days.

Being over 50 apparently Iā€™m in group 1C in California. If I was in other states I might be looking at February. But CA is so far behind who the hell knows.

(UK) Analysis: When will key workers get their jabs?

Questions keep cropping up about when key workers, such as supermarket staff and teachers, will be vaccinated.

There was one at todayā€™s televised briefing.

Some argue key workers should be part of this first phase of the vaccination programme, which will see all over-50s, front-line health and care staff, and younger adults with health conditions vaccinated by the end of April.

But the assessment by the governmentā€™s scientific advisers is pretty simple.

They have targeted those who are most at risk of dying if infected.

Someone who is over the age of 75 ā€“ the age group that is being prioritised immediately for vaccination by mid-February - has a one in eight chance of dying if they catch Covid.

By comparison, a person who is 40 has a one in 1,000 chance.

And that risk almost entirely lies with those in that age group who have a health condition and therefore would be part of this first phase anyway.

Linkā€¦

5 Likes

Is this @clovis8 :smiley:

7 Likes

In NYC, the pace of vaccinations has picked up, but still not where it needs to be. Yesterday set a record with over 22,000 shots. Everyone 65 and over plus lots of ā€œfront lineā€ workers are now eligible to get vaccines.

1 Like

Oklahoma announced today thay they are opening up on Thursday new vaccination appointments. 562 total new appointments for the week. Best vaccine rollout in history continues.

https://oklahoma.gov/covid19/newsroom/2021/january/daily-update--osdh-vaccine-scheduler-portal.html

wapo number of dead is over 4200 already today. worldmeters at 3680, but trending up. ugh

With case numbers still going up it isnā€™t really possible we have peaked on deaths. I think we will see 5k+ in a day in January and probably see the 7dma get close to 4k if not over. That is toward the higher end of UP predictions from November.

1 Like

So I got my second covid vaccine 3 days ago, my wife got her 2nd yesterday. Today her department had mandatory covid testing for everyone due to an outbreak in her hospital. She ended up testing positive. No symptoms for her so far. Iā€™m back in covid quarantine.

32 Likes

Sucks to have to do a proper quarantine, but hopefully the first shot at least protects you against a bad case.

5 Likes

Some disappointing data about dex lately out of Brazil regarding mortality benefit.

Meaning?

Meaning I was hoping that the RECOVERY trial would be replicated showing mortality benefitā€¦ and itā€™s not. Thereā€™s probably benefit in people who are intubated, but were the line is beyond that is pretty fuzzy at this point.

1 Like

Roughly 1 in every 1,300 Americans tested positive TODAY. Jesus fucking Christ.

In March we said 200,000 would be dead and it would be a national emergency. We were wrong on both. This fā€™n country.

2 Likes

Some here disagree but I still think we hit 1m+ dead by the time this is all over. We are still not to peak death and are averaging 100k+/month right now. Thatā€™s more than 2 Vietnams a month. Insane.

Itā€™s also unclear how this ever really truly ends when half the country wonā€™t get vaccinated. The AM radio shows are already having segments every day warning about the evils of mandatory vaccines and a ā€œCovid passportā€ that arenā€™t even real things to scare their audiences. History books are not going to be kind to Trump and the MAGA morons on this issue either.

2 Likes

Some of us said weā€™d need to see an order of magnitude more cases and deaths for people to actually DO something as opposed to just paying lip service.

Several million dead and at least a million cases a day. Otherwise this is the new normal and we are pretty ok with it tbh.