COVID-19: Chapter 7 - Brags, Beats, and Variants

We have been vaccinating in the US for 6 weeks vs. less than 2 for Germany. Let’s go 6 weeks post-approval. That seems fair. Surely since Germany is doing so poorly they won’t vaccinate as many as us in the first 6 weeks.

Your first two sentences basically imply it’s at least very very hard for GOVERNMENT to do better. Well, every country has a government.

The third sentence is more of the bizarre accusations that posts on this forum are making vaccine workers take coffee breaks.

Micro no country has the resources we have. We shouldn’t just be first, we should be streets ahead of everyone else.

1 Like

6 weeks after they approve 2nd vaccine (like US) might be fairer ;) US have 2x shots at supply whereas I believe EU have only approved Pfizer, to date

1 Like

Cool. Is that the actual bottleneck though? Somewhere around ~0% of my coworkers were willing to come in on their day off to get the vaccine despite getting 1 hr pay to do so. I imagine it would Actually be 0 willing to go to an arena on their day off to get it.

Also doesn’t Germany not have huge amounts of Moderna/Pfizer? IIRC they went big on Oxford.

So NYC should be crushing it then.

man lots of people talking very aggressively about things they know very little about right now.

8 Likes

Really? Have you been to Germany? We’re like a shithole compared to them. And money? We spend half of that on bombs and the other half on prisons, but I suppose one could snap their fingers and have defense contractors and prison guards do the vaccine.

No

Not approved for use so no delivery yet (ditto Moderna)

You may well be talking about me, but that’s my point.

Hint, there is more than enough staff in a hospital to give vaccines. We even operate 24/7.

Vaccines being giving during non holiday office hours is a pretty good sign that unforeseen difficulty is not a big part of the problem.

Then start giving it out to the next group - 85+ or whatever. We can’t wait around all year for healthcare workers’ schedules to come free.

1 Like

State government has to approve it. We’ve got 50 of those fucking things plus territories.

1 Like

I don’t have to know everything to know we came 90% short of our goal by the end of the year, despite having plenty of vaccine and it getting distributed.

I don’t have to know everything to know I’ll get vaccinated in 2027 at the current pace.

That’s the spirit! Glad you weren’t leading D-Day.

The states are generally doing a phased roll-out of the vaccine. What is often described as phase 1a usually encompasses health care workers and residents of long-term care facilities. Are they waiting for everyone in 1a to get their second shot before giving the first shot to members of 1b (usually the elderly and essential workers)?

I suspect that vaccinating nursing home residents takes a bit longer because of the time it takes to visit every small facility and that it can be administered faster once it is open to people who can travel to some sort of vaccination center.

Here are at least some explanations for what the problem is.

The logistics of the rollout have therefore largely been left up to states to navigate. But most states lack the capacity to properly administer the rollout. Moreover, hospitals and pharmacies are scrambling, trying to figure out where to set up vaccination sites. And, long-term care facilities are sorting out who can administer vaccinations, to whom, and where.

For quite some time, state and local public health officials have warned that they would need more than $8 billion in additional funding to create the infrastructure required to administer vaccines. Instead, the Trump Administration provided states with a paltry $340 million in funding to prepare for vaccinations. This implies that on average states have received less than $7 million each for vaccine readiness.

As Professor Jha, Dean of Brown University’s School of Public Health, lamented “the worst part is no real planning on what happens when vaccines arrive in states. No plan, just hope that states will figure this out.”

And then we have the approach of other countries.

Several European countries, for example, haven’t even begun to vaccinate, including the Netherlands. It appears, however that government officials there as well as other European nations want to first ensure that they’ve got an executable plan in place for comprehensive, mass vaccinations of priority groups to take place safely in, among other sites, long-term care facilities, hospitals, clinics, arenas, convention centers, school gyms, and libraries.

And you are saying it is hard with no evidence to support why or what makes it so hard.

Since we are on a ten year timeline right now, I am saying it’s not because it’s hard it’s because we are failing all over the place.

If we are doing our best and it will take ten years, lol world, gg.

I haven’t seen a shred of evidence Ed are giving this 40% effort let alone maximum effort.

I’m perfectly willing to put most of the blame on Trump.

I’m not willing to accept the current pace when we have vaccine sitting around sometimes even going bad.