COVID-19: Chapter 7 - Brags, Beats, and Variants

If teachers only went to work then it could be safer… but they don’t. The one’s I know go here, there and everywhere.

It is and has been this side of the Atlantic - we’ve been testing the same 15,000 families every week since April, syptoms or no symptoms, all with school age kids atteding schools (NHS worker families) in a country that genomically sequences, track and traces so follows the infection trail.

Primary school kids (<12yrs) have never worn masks in UK schools - in fact I think it’s olny France in the whole of Europe that masked under 12’s. And schools have never closed here - so I guess the data is ‘good’

Schools are safe.

Here’s what I think the best idea is to reduce the transmission of COVID-19 among students and teachers.

Adds up, imo.

Edit: Would take stuff like that way more seriously if they just came out and said “it’s fine if some kids and some teachers contract and spread around COVID-19, cuz hardly any of the kids will die, and because we can just get more teachers.”

Just be honest about it and say that degree of suffering is worth it for the greater good that comes with children learning inside of a schoolhouse.

3 Likes

what degree?

If incidence gets pretty low I think its an easy choice and I would expect it will be. Outbreaks will be more local flare-ups.

I’d expect they would be doing some mitigation measures still by then.

I’d want the school to have a plan should there be a local outbreak–either go remote/hybrid/or increase mask/distancing measures.

(Remember I’m not anti-OFS, I’m not pro-OFS without a good plan, and lolUSA plans under Trump).

Turns out the schools that take shit extremely seriously and constantly test kids have less COVID! I’m sure we can extrapolate this to every school in the US!

2 Likes

In the U.K., a new paper published in The Lancet found that partial school reopenings this summer were associated with a low risk of cases; out of more than 57,000 schools and nurseries, the study found just 113 cases associated with 55 outbreaks. These cases were correlated strongly with local infection rates, showing how important it is to reduce community transmission to keep schools safe. “Transmission will occur in schools, just as it will anywhere that people mix,” Munro says. “But children aren’t the drivers of disease.” Instead, it’s increasingly clear that in many countries, it’s people in their 20s and 30s who spark outbreaks that then spill over into both older people and children.

The best way to understand how transmission might occur between children and adults would be to constantly monitor healthy families with school-age children to see if they get infected. By testing frequently, scientists would catch infections as they occur, making it clear who got sick first.

Iceland and deCODE put this into practice by conducting comprehensive testing and tracing, screening more than half the country’s population: Anyone who was potentially exposed was quarantined, sealing them off from the community, but often exposing their families. By looking at the difference between adults and children in these quarantines, deCODE found that children play a minor role in transmission.

Germany, South Korea, UK and just about everywhere that has and continues to study it still finds that the world is not flat.

I have 4 kids under 12yrs and an underlying condition - no first vaccine yet - I know this is emotive for you - you’ll never see the study you’ll need to see before sending your kids back unvaccinated, which I guess you won’t do - it’s never going to be risk free but it way lower risk than you attribute (IMO).

Just fine and dandy to see some in the thread release the kids, now Ma and Pa have their vaccine

Analysis – why the focus on age not occupation?

The next phase of the vaccination programme aimed at the under-50s is all about speed.

The more quickly they can be vaccinated, the more lives can be saved from Covid-19 (reducing pressure on hospitals) and the more likely the roadmap out of lockdown can be delivered.

The government’s committee of vaccine experts says that means people should be vaccinated according to what age they are and not what job they do.

It would be more complicated and more time-consuming to invite all teachers or police officers for their first dose than to make an offer to all those in their 40s, for example.

Research by the Office for National Statistics suggests a number of occupations have higher-than-average death rates, including restaurant workers, taxi drivers, metal workers and shop assistants – so which group would be prioritised first and how would they be identified?

The conclusion is that a fast, efficient rollout to all adults, by age group, is the best way to achieve the target of giving all adults a first dose by the end of July.

To know more about this issue, read here.

Side effects of dose 2 are no joke. Currently have a 100.5 fever and can’t get out of bed. I ache all over my body (especially my feet wtf) and feel like I did after a HS football game mixed with a hangover. No side effects after 1st dose.

12 Likes

ScreenHunter_1944 Feb. 26 19.30

ScreenHunter_1945 Feb. 26 19.32

Primary schools c. half the average community spread, secondary schools (12+yrs) about the same as community (but the schools are unmasked, the community is masked)

I posted it many times. Ain’t looking for it now. But it’ll be poasted by the end of the weekend.

OG, the UK add a disclaimer

Standard

We’re a year into this JT - if there were alternative evidence, surely someone must have found it by now, other than Rebekah Jones

This is going to end poorly.

I posted a BBC article from today by a government advisor? Which you seem to disagree with.

You asked for studies that may include asymptomatic children becuase as far as you knew such studies did not exist (big gap). Well, there’s one. Add that to the Icelandic, SK, German studies of a asymtomatic children from months ago.

Like chill out.

Decline in US Covid cases 'may be stalling’

A recent decline in Covid cases may be stalling, the head of the US Centers for Disease Control warned.

Dr Rochelle Walensky said the situation was concerning and called for Covid restrictions to remain in place.

According to Andy Slavitt, a senior adviser to the White House Covid-19 response team, nearly half of Americans over the age of 65 have had their first vaccine dose.

The US is the worst-hit country in the world with more than 28 million cases and 508,000 deaths.

The study is cited numerous times in my posts over the last 3 months. I’ll wait for another Brit to wade in.

He’s not asking for a citation to a study. He wants you to quote him disagreeing with the BBC article. He does not. He disagrees with your claims about the article.

1 Like

I did not make any claims when I posted the article. What have been my claims since as that must be what you’re referring to?

You claimed the following:

That does not seem to be the case in any article you’ve posted.

1 Like

Question for teh docs. Are they administering vaccine to cancer patients, or specifically during treatments?

The first study is not a good one at first glance. Bio markers being increased in a hospital cohort isn’t surprising or meaningful. It’s not a good clinical question

The t1dm stuff is something I’ve noticed and I’m concerned about

2 Likes

Shot number 2: :heavy_check_mark:

Hoping for low side effects but it is what it is! Just very fortunate to get it so early.

11 Likes