COVID-19: Chapter 7 - Brags, Beats, and Variants

I think as the vaccines are rolled out rapid tests can still help open faster and safer.

Say the vulnerable are vaccinated, general public getting vaccinated but in process, community cases reasonably low but not zero, healthcare system not in crisis, data on how well vaccines protect against variants and reduce transmission still being fleshed out. Rapid tests that are cost effective and plentiful could open up a lot of normality if that’s where we are come summer/fall.

1 Like

Oh I’m sorry, I don’t mean to come off as disagreeing with you that more testing is good. Just frustrated that the results don’t seem to matter to the public at large.

2 Likes

Testing at this stage is more for people to collect data to study how the disease is progressing.

My brother got a test a few months back as a non-essential and it took 2 weeks for them to tell him that he was negative. If you have to get tested everytime you get a cold and it takes ~3 weeks of a 4.5 weeks illness to find out whether or not you had it, what is the point? Not trying to say that people shouldn’t change their behaviors but I’m not sure what you are expecting people who have to pay their rent and shit to do.

testing doesn’t take weeks anywhere that I’ve heard of. The lowest priority test I send takes 1-3 days.

Alternative explanation is that fitness trainers and marathon runners are more likely to detect drops in their performance/stamina. Like, if I feel x% worse in my daily life, it’s so subjective that I’m unlikely to say “Oh, I’m suffering adverse effects from COVID.” But if I’m a regular runner and run based on a constant heart rate, I might notice a relatively small decrease in pace/stamina. Going from an 8:00/mile to an 8:15/mile pace might not seem like a big deal, but if you track your pace and heart rate religiously, you’ll see it objectively in the data.

Also, I’m back teaching in person and will be posting about it here, since it’s not really COVID related:

1 Like

This is a good theory. I had a similar experience when I had myocarditis when I was younger.

It’s also very different from what long haulers complain about, at least the ones I see. They complain of continued pain, shortness of breath, abdominal pain, fatigue, etc. They don’t have decreased athletic performance, they experience active symptoms and near disability.

I’ve worked a bunch of these people up in the ER with vague complaints of SOB and CP. I have a pretty low threshold to work these people up for myocarditis and pulmonary embolism. Most of them don’t have changes on their chest x-ray. The ones that end up getting a CTA to rule out a pulmonary embolism almost all don’t have changes on their CTA, which a lot of asymptomatic people will still have.

It’s going to be tough to unwrap it all and there will be people who have consequences down the road. The issue is that there are various internet fads that come and go with vague chronic illnesses. Some of these don’t exist at all (chronic lyme), some are more dubious (chronic fatigue syndrome, fibromyalgia, and more)… but all become a ‘thing’ that people start claiming they have when they don’t really fit diagnostic criteria. It’s hard to see covid long hauling falling into that pattern.

That’s definitely one of the problems. Clinics can’t schedule far out so people are getting the call to show up at the clinic within a couple of hours and for the elderly there’s a lot of planning that’s involved in going places. We were having 40 - 50 % no shows on appointments. The variation in no shows/shows then ripples through the process and we’d have to have people waiting because they didn’t thaw out enough vaccine because not enough people initially showed up even though we were running at like 50% capacity.

Was gonna take a minimum of 3 days in NYC. Given the spike around New Year’s, probably more like the 5 days of the 3-5 day window they gave me.

1 Like

I’m not up on the NYC game like I used to be.

The ones I’ve seen are more like “can’t walk up the stairs without resting, sleep 18-20 hours/day, tried to work out yesterday - paid for it the next day, lungs in severe pain - couldn’t get out of bed”.

The guy I know in Sweden is more like what you’re talking about. He can run, but his lungs hurt afterwards - which he says is a really weird sensation he’d never had before.

Calling for restaurants to open and not prioritizing vaccinations for their workers is typical rich people shit.

Fuck the poor, support the rich. Standard.

Also the reproduction rate is above 1 in the Czech Republic again. At this point, only vaccinations will stop the increase in case. Most people are sick of the restrictions and are openly ignoring them since there is no practical way to enforce them.

Listen all you fucking sheeple. I have it on good authority from a Facebook medical research expert, that, uh, well, I don’t fucking know but 50% of doctors are refusing the vaccine!

Follow the actual science…
COPIED AND SHARED
This is one of the best explanations of the problem with mRNA technology. Remember that they have been trying to solve this problem for 30 years UNSUCCESSFULLY. There is a reason that HALF of all doctors are declining this shot. Any doctor who takes the time to read the available science will see what we see.
“Sadly and unfortunately, this is what no-one understands about this mRNA technology (falsely being called a ‘vaccine’), neither pro-vaccine people, or most anti-vax people. This shot has hardly any toxic adjuvants to react to like conventional vaccines, except mainly polyethylene glycol (PEG) which causes anaphylactic shock, or SmithGlaxoKlines shark liver adjuvant that caused Narcolepsy and Cataplexy in 1,300+ kids in 2009 with the Pandemrix shot.
This mRNA technology is NOT injecting a foreign, attenuated virus for the immune system to mount a response against and expel from the body… it is injecting the blueprint of a genomic sequence into your own cells, transcribed by messenger RNA (mRNA), to cause YOUR OWN CELLS to become and behave like the virus, making YOUR OWN CELLS produce the S-spike of a Horseshoe Bat coronavirus… it is YOUR OWN CELLS that the antibodies are attacking.
This is AUTOIMMUNITY 101!
This is the “Pathogenic Priming” and “Antibody-dependent Disease Enhancement” that all the scientific data and 100’s of thousands of Doctors and Scientists have been warning against… but the pharmaceutical industry-owned governments and media have silenced it and are censoring it all.
You can’t detox and expel YOUR OWN CELLS from your own body, when you have given your own cells a NEW genomic code - via mRNA - to become something other than they are.
This mRNA sequence code has not isolated itself to just lung tissue either, but it is for all your cells in the entire body. So depending on which of your cells the antibodies are mounting the attack on, will result in an untold number of AUTOIMMUNE reactions. These neurological reactions are from the antibodies attacking various cells in the brain, spine and overall nervous system… not a foreign virus… and one day down the line when a real infection comes along - via the wild or an attenuated injection - your own cells won’t be able to mount a defense against them, because they’ve been “Pathogenically Primed” and BOUND, by the antibodies.”

1 Like

Some may remember that Manaus in Brazil supposedly achieved herd immunity. Now they are suffering a huge second wave. Three of the four possible explanations are really bad news.

1 Like

I think there’s also bias in which stories about long haulers go viral or get press. If Joe Sixpack BMI 30 with high blood pressure has long term health impacts from Covid everyone just says “no shit”. When triathlon dude has long term impacts the whole internet forwards ZOMG WE’RE ALL GONNA DIE articles everywhere.

Vaccine sites have been closed in NYC (and elsewhere in the Northeast) today, and they will remain closed tomorrow

What a bunch of snowflakes!

10 Likes

I have a feeling these guys screwed up measuring prevalence of antibodies somehow. If people were getting sick twice en masse we’d be hearing about it.

Reading the study - they say the demographics of people giving blood (their sample pool) are the same as the general populace. But does that mean they’re going to be the same wrt to covid prevalence? Seems like a leap.

1 Like

Agreed, the most likely option, by far, is that their seroprevalence data was biased in a way they didn’t expect.

We’ve seen this elsewhere as well like that Stanford study I’m remembering but not finding

2 Likes

https://twitter.com/stevelemongello/status/1356296393917419520?s=21

2 Likes