COVID-19: Chapter 6 - ThanksGRAVING

So I’ve read that Pfizer has extra happy juice in the vaccine vials - can this actually be used to give more doses, or does every patient get their own sealed vial?

I’m not really arguing for anything so much as seeking understanding.

It’s freezing outside no thanks

I say this as a poker player. Poker player are parasites and among the least essential people. I fell into poker because I made mistakes and have no other options. I just want to make enough money to not be a burden to anyone and die quietly. I’m thinking I should let other people go ahead of me while the vaccine is relatively scarce, even if I have health reasons that suggest I should seek it faster than many.

1 Like

Where are you from? You’d likely have a legitimate grievance on this issue in many places.

That’s really up to each person. You don’t have to be a parasite and can choose to do some amount of good with your time and money.

I just read that the “extra” is approved for use:

WASHINGTON – The Food and Drug Administration said Wednesday that pharmacists can draw additional doses from vials of the Pfizer coronavirus vaccine, potentially expanding the country’s supply by millions of doses as the Trump administration negotiates with Pfizer to speed up the next round of vaccine deliveries.

The government’s existing supply of the first authorized vaccine can be stretched further after pharmacists began to notice that vials contain more than the expected five doses.

The FDA is in touch with Pfizer about how to handle this issue, the agency said. In the meantime, regulators say those extra doses from a single vial can be used.

FDA says Pfizer vaccine contains extra doses, expanding nation’s supply

Of course, we’ll need every drop because…

OLYMPIA — The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has said that Washington’s COVID-19 vaccine allocation will be reduced next week by 40%, according to Gov. Jay Inslee.

The CDC “has informed us that WA’s vaccine allocation will be cut by 40 percent next week — and that all states are seeing similar cuts,” Inslee wrote in a tweet Thursday morning. “This is disruptive and frustrating.”

Inslee: Washington state to receive 40% fewer COVID-19 vaccinations next week

Since the Trump administration is involved I’m inclined to suspect intentional fuckery towards blue states, but the article says “States across the country were reporting confusion over reductions,” so maybe it’s just their standard complete incompetence.

They are multi-use vials and there appears to be an extra dose or two which the FDA and Pfizer have said can be used.

Summary: The specs is for each vial to contain five full doses. Because there is inevitably some loss when you draw the shot (usually a bit of liquid is expelled when they expell air bubbles from the syringe, or you can’t get every last drop for some reason), each vial contains “overfill” to make sure that a competent administrator can always get 5 full doses. The FDA has now said that if there is enough left in the vial to provide an additional full dose, you can use it. But they are saying that you should not combine remnants from multiple vials in order to make an dose, so it’s unclear exactly how many additional full doses can be extracted.

1 Like

Nifty. Back to the pit of despair now.

2 Likes

I work at a NYS college so can’t really do much I don’t think. Better this than getting laid off though. College and state are broke.

The problem is that this actually isn’t good evidence. The study design doesn’t really support lasting effective immunity with one dose because it wasn’t structured that way. Could it work? Yeah, but it’s an awfully big roll of the dice that I don’t think is really necessary.

I nap in my car all the time

Put the heated seat on 1/3

Put heat on floor at 2/6 Bars at 68 degrees

It’s magical

2 Likes

I wish

1 Like

You’re actually working on campus? Been remote from my NYS college since March. Those fuckers need to turn the heat up imo.

Yeah on campus. The union knows and people have already complained so I’m sure if it was against state laws they would not be doing it.

1 Like

But have you considered that this is another opportunity to fuck this up even farther, and if we don’t take it, our perfect record is on the line?

2 Likes

How much you want to bet the law says it has to be above 55 degrees?

Doesn’t appear to be a specific number, it has to be safe. Apparently below 60 can cause skin issues if you’re exposed to it for hours on end, so they appear to be pushing it.

It’s not quite that, there’s a good (I dunno, 60-70%? with a huge error bar) chance that it works imo. From a mechanistic point, it makes sense that one dose would do the trick for at least a few months. However, my issue would be saying that the evidence behind that was ‘good’. I don’t think that it is.