COVID-19: Chapter 6 - ThanksGRAVING

Indoor or outdoor?

It seems like every time people think they got it from an outdoor setting it turns out, well, actually they had spent a bunch of time indoors too. The White House event comes to mind.

I’m just always super skeptical of outdoor transmission given the studies, the lack of spread at events like protests/ozarks/etc, and what we know about how the virus spreads in enclosed spaces. I guess in your case it sounds like there were so many people at the rooftop bar that you may have been within breathing/coughing distance of people for long enough.

Not everybody’s the perfect person in the world. I mean everyone kills people, murders people, steals from you, steals from me, whatever.

4 Likes

Yesterday I went to see an eye doctor. It’s the riskiest thing I’ve done since the pandemic started, and sitting in a room with a bunch of strangers made me nervous even though everyone was wearing masks and had been temperature screened.

But the fact is I’m extremely fortunate because I have the resources and the type of job where I’ve been able to keep myself and my family at home for 8 months. Most of the people I saw yesterday don’t have that luxury. There were the elderly patients with chronic eye conditions, the medical center staff who need their paychecks, and the doctors who have to see people in person to help them.

What’s fucked up is how badly we’ve failed as a society to make it easier for more people to stay home and make it safer for people who can’t.

7 Likes

FFS this is not a personal stir-up-shit-on-the-internet thread.

5 Likes

How do you feel about people who would find the moderate social distancing outcome to be preferable to the extensive social distancing outcome if accompanied by a significant increase in quality of life, but don’t believe that any such increase can justify the free-for-all or attempted quarantine outcomes?

From the link you posted?

10 Likes

I don’t know. But why should the priority be to maximize the flatness of the curve?

Not it at all. It is just a dumb take to claim gates providing two billion dollars is nothing because he has more money.

It is a fundamentally stupid thing to say and you know that. And anyone acknowledging that is not stanning for the donor class. Get a grip.

It is as dumb as people saying you can’t applaud Tom cruises Covid rant because he is a Scientologist.

Yeah I think the DB article was off. They think grocery workers should jump ahead of those groups and I absolutely disagree.

I’m not sure what you think I’m arguing for.

What are you arguing for?

2 Likes

Sure, 50K cases yesterday, guess no harm in singing your covid out directly into the mouths of a large group of people

no, not wrong

Me, opening up #Moderna on Twitter moments ago:

Did i miss where we argued about Cruise’s covid rant? Damn

It may be satisfying to hear, but its terrible practice.

If you want to improve health and safety, everyone should be coming forward with mistakes and breaches, understanding the root cause, and working to address the risk of it happening again.

Some big boss who almost certainly isnt directly responsible for implimenting the safety procedures swooping in and threatening to fire people is going to make things worse, not better.

For the record, we basically had the “Gates is bad, actually” argument in the LC thread yesterday. Probably not worth rehashing here.

Every risk everyone takes makes it less safe. The worst part to me is that the weather is warm enough down there to do safe stuff that’s outdoors and distanced with small groups. But a bunch of people just had to go to bars?

I’ve gotten curbside coffee and breakfast burritos (I plate them and microwave them) several times, and I consider it safe and morally fine. The keys are:

1. We’re both masked.

2. They walk outside to my car, so it’s not near a window where a bunch of people pass by.

3. I started doing it well after the CARES Act expired. It’s not like if people weren’t doing this, these workers would be home safe and taken care of. If that was the case I wouldn’t do it.

I think drive thru is slightly more risky, but at the end of the day when our nation fails to provide for people’s needs if they shut down, patronizing the business is not making them less safe it’s giving them needed business.

I’ve only done drive thrus a few times, and only while in the process of moving and lacking options.

10-15 people maskless in a room is a pozzfest. Enjoy your Qdoba.

Also some of us feel forced into work-related risk by the average American making sure this is as long and painful as possible.

I did one Zoom date. She talked about how safe she’s been and how seriously she takes it, then started talking about an indoor birthday party for her nephew with 15-20 people there. I was like nope, I’m not ready for this shit yet.

Dude the MRA crowd is apparently out here getting strange right and left - at least when they don’t turn it down because the girl says something bad about Trump. Just talk her into a real date, then immediately rip off that mask and shove your tongue down her throat. Works every time according to Red Pill Twitter.

1 Like

He talked a big game about pre-producing vaccines, but it turns out that was only if he could do it with other people’s money? These vaccines are selling for like $25/dose so $50/person.

You can protect people from COVID for $50/person and you’re worth $120 billion, how much do you spend?

Poll the forum, Gates donation comes out near the bottom. I probably come out near the bottom at $119 billion and I’m probably called a selfish murderous asshole by several people for keeping a billion for myself.

Now I guess the cost to make the next dose beyond what they produced could be higher because you have to rapidly scale, but you also could have cut deals where you get some of the money back once it’s sold.

Regardless, Gates took all that free publicity and put up less than 2% of his net worth, then didn’t follow through because he couldn’t raise the money? And not a peep about it?

Sorry, I think that’s pretty scummy of him.