COVID-19: Chapter 6 - ThanksGRAVING

The gave your pony 40 epi-pens but it still died, by a nose.

1 Like

I’m curious how vaccine implementation will go in Australia. No cases in two months so I’d suspect motivation is somewhat low unless people are specifically planning to travel overseas. I’ve asked friends if they will get vaccinated and most, who took the pandemic very seriously, say they wouldn’t unless they had to.

If you have 10 minutes check out the story

My girlfriends boyfriend Good times.

1 Like

That’s not really what happend.
https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/2020/12/16/alaska-healthcare-worker-hospitalized-after-receiving-covid-19-vaccine/
The worker felt flush and took an antihistamine around 10 minutes after receiving the vaccine Tuesday afternoon, authorities said. She felt short of breath and was transferred to the emergency room, said Dr. Lindy Jones, emergency room medical director at Bartlett Regional Hospital in Juneau.
Upon arriving at the emergency room, where Jones was the attending physician, she had an elevated heart rate and a red rash on her face and torso, he said. Jones began treating her for anaphylaxis with epinephrine and more antihistamines, which she responded to.
But her symptoms began to re-emerge, he said, and she was treated with more epinephrine as well as steroids. When providers tried to wean the worker off the epinephrine, her symptoms re-emerged before resolving once again, Jones said, and she was then moved to the intensive care unit for observation overnight, he said. She was in stable condition “and doing well” on Wednesday, Jones said.

1 Like

I know this is a dumb question and I should know better after 8 months of this but…

Can there even be herd immunity for a disease that you can catch multiple times?

I just can’t stretch my imagination where enough of the world population has current immunity such that it just fizzles out and goes away.

Like wouldn’t we need the thing to mutate in some way that made it naturally R < 1?

Is there ANY scenario where 5 years from now there isn’t just a steady baseline of constant infections and death?

I’m assuming you are not posing a non vaccine hypothetical. In a vaccine world it would probably just mean boosters of a vaccine every X amount of time as required. We already do this for other vaccines

1 Like

My 90+ Grandma has Covid. That’s gotta be a gg

28 Likes

https://twitter.com/owermohle/status/1339338381831114759

https://twitter.com/AlexAurlom/status/1339342170449473538

I’ve seen lots of stories of people in their 90s and 100s surviving. Just to get to that age means you’re generally living fairly healthy.

5 Likes

This is true for lots of meds ime. Good news, people just have to be precise.

1 Like

Remember yesterday when there was debate on if we had found a peak? Cases closing in on the all time high and deaths nearly 3500 and counting.

The Dad of one of my FB friends was in the ICU on a vent, just had his first day w/o oxygen and is being sent home soon. That’s incredible.

9 Likes

Like 60k Cali cases wtf? Some sort of backlog?

California has actually been performing well most of the pandemic on a per capita basis(39th in cases and 40th in deaths). It seems like they are finally hitting their explosive growth phase like most every state. 60,000 cases is roughly equal to the Dakotas doing 1000-1100 so definitely in the realm of possibility.

Best wishes to Grandma. My MIL got it and survived, and my wife just signed 2 releases for MIL to get the vaccine. She also has afib and a pacemaker, is 93, and lives in a long term care facility. We thought gg for sure, but she had a mild case, and is now fine.

4 Likes

I admit I was kind of annoyed when we shut down outdoor dining in LA. Not because I go - I’ve eaten outdoors in LA maybe 4x - with my super covid paranoid ex and my friend who already got covid. But because the risk seems so low and it’s nice to walk by and see things festive during the holidays. It’s so sad now.

But the more I thought about it, it’s not for the diners. It’s for the waitstaff, cooks, busboys, dishwashers - crammed into tight kitchens. They’d all be slammed for the holidays and going home to their parents and seeing the grandparents over the holidays. Takeout still has some of that but maybe requires 1/10th the manpower of a full service restaurant.

It actually took a lot of guts for LA to shut those down. Even a hippy dippy card store by my house had a “Happy Holidays to everyone except Gavin Newsome” sign out front.

1 Like

They should refuse treatment and vents and allow God to save them…

If you’re asymptomatic and test positive on the antigen test, what are your chances of having the virus at the time of the test? After all, antigens hang around for months after the infection.

I’ve shown no symptoms since the pandemic happened. Obviously I need to test negative on a PCR test before being able to fly. So I’m worried about the worst-case scenario of being alone for Christmas.

It’s crazy here in Myrtle Beach. Nobody acknowledges it anymore. Well below 50% will get vaccinated, like way below. Most businesses don’t require masks, even if the law dictates it. Bars are packed w Christmas parties and people coming back from the Deplorable U”s of the southeast. Science is a minority. Logic is frowned upon. Scary times.

One reason I think most of this forum will be vaccinated sooner than we think is exactly this. A lot of people are lazy and won’t do it right away and a lot of people are morons and won’t ever get vaccinated.