COVID-19: Chapter 6 - ThanksGRAVING

Early results only but it looks like the mysterious missing Thanksgiving weekend Covid deaths are starting to appear.

I mean, did we? People who needed oxygen stayed. People who didn’t left. I never saw that line change.

Unfortunately so. Hospitalization rates hit a new record yesterday, and lead deaths as an indicator. Until we see a real hospitalization peak, it’s almost impossible we see the death numbers decline.

Case numbers this week will be interesting, but I won’t say we’ve faded a Thanksgiving spike until like late next week.

1 Like

If they never came to the hospital in the first place then you wouldn’t have seen it in your hospital.

In NY the paramedics were doing many pickups of dead people at homes back during the surge because people weren’t going to hospital but dying at home.

OK so I have zero patience for someone telling me what it was like in NYC during the pandemic. None. Hell, this isn’t even relevant to what I said ffs.

Anecdotal MSM for sure but lots of reports of people either just electing to stay home or not bothering to try and go in due to media coverage of not being able to get care. But you have better direct knowledge—much appreciate the first hand input.

I think we can just say that there is some category associated with care limits that could impact % hospitalized.

If a community can hold 100 people in hospital and the covid population is 3,000 but then Increases to 10,000 can the hospital now hold 333 or is it maxed out (assuming no expansion or ability to ship elsewhere)?

That reporting was horseshit. If you needed oxygen, you got admitted.

Not a question I can answer generally, but we transferred people and took over space in the hospital that was normally used for other things.

1 Like

Same experience with a relative currently in icu. Sent home because not enough room, back in a few days later much worse and now likely to die. This is Midwest though.

2 Likes

that’s what I remember too

1 Like

That’s an awfully big assertion that you don’t support. Getting worse 9 days later isn’t proof that he should have been admitted then at all.

It’s really common for people to get seen early on in the disease because they feel generally ill, but not need oxygen. Those people get sent home and bounce back frequently. That happens because there’s nothing to do for them in the hospital until they need oxygen.

I currently work at a place that sends these people home with medical grade pulse oximeters and check in on them every day. We also do BAM infusions. All of that is outpatient.

1 Like

He got much worse 2-3 days later not 9. I only became aware he was sick when his son called me in a panic wondering if my wife had any advice on how to get him admitted because he was very sick and was turned away the day before. He had ox sats in the high 80s-90 at the point he was turned away. He is in his 60s and has heart disease.

So I think he would have been a slam dunk to be admitted had it been say June instead of November in Oklahoma where we are literally sending patients out of state and have been running at over 100% capacity for a couple months now. I’m not trying to be a dick about this btw but I think you are underestimating the rationing of care that is already occurring in hospitals in states like Oklahoma.

https://twitter.com/TheFakeNed/status/1333831809017245697

For chrissakes the Republicans actually suggested Grammy and Gramps are just going to have to die for the Dow, yet this shit gains traction.

3 Likes

If hospitals are in fact already ratcheting down on patients by sending very sick people home to effectively wait on an ICU slot, then the hospitalization stats can’t really be trusted, can they?

And they’ve continued to grow, albeit at a somewhat slower rate than 1-2 weeks ago.

I just remember these kind of stories that were absolutely untrue in March and April, so I’m very wary of them now. Admittedly I don’t have first hand experience in Oklahoma.

1 Like

That’s understandable and I only know what I am being told. I have had my wife text me pictures of the hospital census data several times and even posted it here once I think and every time they are at 120% capacity with 50+ people waiting in the ER waiting room. I’m not sure how you deal with that besides limit who gets admitted with higher admission criteria.

You fuck over the ER and open up other parts of the hospital.

One of the wings in our ER is a boarding wing now. Our telemetry units are taking covid negative ICU patients (no vents in tele yet). Our PACU is now our default SICU. Basically we our worse than we have ever been during this and it is only getting worse. My last 4 days in the ER has seen covid everywhere, even in patients coming in for completely different reasons. We had a family come in for CO exposure and they are all covid +. The hospital with the large hyperbaric chamber wouldn’t take them.

2 Likes

Maybe there is a misunderstanding

The dude on Twitter said hospitalization rate is dropping and there were a few reasons given.

1. the admittance criteria got stricter…you said that’s not your experience in your hospital while others said it was their experience in their hospital

2. younger people pozz so lower rate

3. perhaps people just don’t go to hospital at all when it’s spiking and reports are all over that hospitals are getting full

For 1, your experience is definitely applicable for your area

For 3, we are saying that people are less likely to go to hospital in the first place if they know capacity is getting full…you wouldn’t see that in your experience since they don’t go in the first place

Nicholas, the topic was about selectivity of admissions, not people staying home.

1 Like