COVID-19: Chapter 6 - ThanksGRAVING

It’s you. People here treat me much better than real life.

16 Likes

If you sleep with a humidifier on, try turning it off.

I had whooping cough last year and was still not fully recovered after almost a year (normally it’s 2-3 months). As you describe I would have coughing fits in the morning but it would clear up by lunchtime.

By accident our humidifier was left off one night and the coughing wasn’t so bad the next day. I left it off and was basically back to normal within a week. :crossed_fingers:

There were always two cases.

1 Like

Sounds like the 2nd case hasn’t been confirmed? It’s been awhile now, how has it not been confirmed still? Also learned that the US is the only place that hasn’t restarted their trials of this vaccine. Wonder if the FDA is being cautious, or trying to help all the Republicans with fat money on Moderna to be first.

Sounds like if that 2nd case is confirmed this vaccine is probably fucked.

Just a more thorough summary. 1 in 8000 for something that occurs 1 in 240,000 is damn unlucky or a sign of holy shit.

1 Like

Your pony should enter the Preakness with its strong covid immunity from mask wearing.

People overreacting to one Facebook employee on Twitter.

On the other hand, if the efficacy were > 90% wouldn’t you still be saving lives? 1 in 8,000 with this get a horrible disease but 1 in 8,000 in America is 41,000 people. We’re at 200,000+ deaths from COVID.

Sure but there are a bunch of other vaccines that hopefully won’t have this problem. But I don’t trust Moderna at all. Thats the one that basically has all the Trump cronies invested in it right? Or is Moderna legit?

And even so good luck convincing people to take a vaccine with a 1 in 8,000 chance of fucking you up super bad. People don’t understand odds they understand facebook videos showing horrible side effects.

Vaccines are common annually. Transverse myelitis is not common annually, so transverse myelitis cannot be common with vaccines. Maybe it’s more common in vaccine trials, but that doesn’t mean that it’s an acceptable outcome for this vaccine when it’s not an acceptable outcome for any other. We would expect that virtually any prior vaccine that would cause it at an increased rate to have been rejected.

2 Likes

I mean we have, what, seven shots at a vaccine in early 2021 and a couple hundred shots at one the next 3-4 years? We may have just lost the most promising one of the seven we have mass produced already.

Moderna is the one with a ton of NHS funding. But it’s new technology never before proven/used basically.

True. That’s a big concern.

Already difficult getting people to take vaccines with a 0 in 80,000 chance of autism.

11 Likes

Not if compliance goes way down when you take into account the overall loss of trust in vaccines.

Right. But now do the entire menagerie of rare diseases, not just one specific one. What are the odds something like this happens with any rare disease during the trial?

Or is there something specific about transverse myelitis that makes it a likely candidate for a vaccine-caused disease?

1 Like

So unless there’s something special about transverse myelitis, my point is that people are looking at this wrong when they say “the odds of even one person out of the study pool getting transverse myelitis during the study period are 1 in whatever”.

You have to look at the odds of getting any weird disease like this. There must be 1000s of them.

I’m sure the trial guys have this figured out.

4 Likes

I mean this as a question not a snarky rhetorical. Why shouldn’t we be willing to accept an elevated risk of side effects for a vaccine in the middle of a deadly global pandemic? Shouldn’t it just be a cost-benefit analysis?

I guess that’s a compelling argument. Seems like we should still just present it transparently and leave it up to people, at least.

It’s obvious that the willingness for downsides should increase as the severity of the disease increases and alternatives decrease. Chemotherapy is a real thing that is ethical to administer. However, given the abundance of vaccines that don’t have this downside and the number of competing vaccines in development here, I would be shocked if the winning vaccine has this downside.

2 Likes

Sharing from the 2+2, and it’s very worthwhile reading the whole thread.

https://twitter.com/EricTopol/status/1307381521745997824?s=20

1 Like

EUA from Trumps FDA/CDC? Fauci needs to sign off. In his own Blood.

I havE no idea on the general concept of a particular side effect from vaccines in general (duh autism).

Most of the covid ones are a new technology that hasn’t gone this far before? So it’s possible it’s common to that but I really have no specific clue.