COVID-19: Chapter 6 - ThanksGRAVING

1 Like

Need advice.

In Melbourne. Where we have had no new cases for 12 days. (Excluding a few coming in from overseas in quarantine)

My dad. 81. Has been on strict lockdown since march. He is now starting to do more things and i can’t decide whether it’s the right play.

The main risk inolves catching a train, once or twice a week. The train wont be crowded and he will be able to maintain 6 feet distance. Mandatory masks, but people sometime don’t wear or have taken them down to talk/drink coffee. Etc.

He will also be spending time volunteering at his charity. Which seems to involve him being in a massive warehouse with 2 other older guys who are also pretty locked down.

Thoughts? Is an uber better or worse than the train?

Yeah I’m not advocating that you follow this thread honestly. If I were you I’d bury my head in the safe sand but hard and wait for the screaming to stop. No reason to traumatize yourself when you (correctly) escaped already.

You were right about how people should have dealt with this, if they had we wouldn’t be here. Unfortunately back when everyone got mad at me about buying drive through coffee with a mask and gloves I already had a pretty good read on what was about to happen. The absolute worst case scenario full stop. Hopefully our country actually gets a little bit traumatized by this. It’s the only way we’ll learn.

IMO, If he can’t go out now, where do cases have to be so you’d be happy for him to go?

Also, is he more likely to suffer by being kept in or by the risk at charity?

How long in time is the commute?

It’s your call but both sides have risks. If he handled the lockdown well, dissuade

3 Likes

How did I miss this?

When every country in the world puts an order in, how will they decide who gets it first? Hope they have a lot of capacity to make all these doses fast.

It seems so quaint and borderline insane now doesn’t it?

https://twitter.com/WKugelberg/status/1326582826691686403

10 Likes

Now do the Dakotas.

3 Likes

SpaceX or (likely) Blue Origin could. NASA could not. The only companies who could be prime contractors on a deal that big would just steal all the money invested in the project. If you assume enough political will to create accountability, sure, but that’s pretty far-fetched. If the only thing on the moon was a cure for COVID, there’s no way NASA’s getting there.

I was wondering the same too.

UK seem to be assuring population we have 10m, of 40m ordered, arriving 2020, like early December “UK will have 10m people vaccinated before 2021”

On that pre 2021 list, 40m doses remaining between I think Japan, Canada and possibly USA.

EU are today stating they won’t be vaccinating before 2021.

No, you guys were right then obviously. At that time there were two things my wife and I moderately disagreed about but had real doubts on. I wanted her to quit her job and she wanted to keep getting coffee from the damn drive thru, particularly when we drove around to feel like we were out of the house.

Obviously she kept her job and we bought coffee. I was a lot less resistant about the coffee because knowing that her job was a huge risk factor (which at the time I thought was much bigger than it was) I was in full on ‘I’ll get this any day now’ mode and didn’t care that much about whether we got coffee or not.

1 Like

Sure, that’s my point exactly. The reason we aren’t sending apes to the moon again is not that we’ve somehow become dumber or we don’t have the technology anymore, it’s because it’s not a priority because we don’t need to worry about the USSR dunking on us in space anymore. NASA’s been doing incredible space exploration in the past few years which no one seems to care about much because people only seem to care about sending primates up into space and deifying Elon & co.

1 Like

I think it’s social media. Always have been crazy people but it’s allowed more people to become crazy, and for you to become hyper-aware of their crazy schemes.

Before it was compartmentalized. Like you’d have to go to church every Sunday where people talk about some crazy shit that would influence of all society but it wouldn’t be all encompassing and continuously accelerating 24/7.

2 Likes

When I worked on smoking lawsuits, we basically weren’t even allowed to consider the idea that smokers actually save the govt money in the long run because they die sooner. The whole subject was too radioactive.

I wonder if covid might have a similar effect. All these people who have comorbities dying fairly quickly instead of long-drawn out decades of decline. Obviously this subject would be just as radioactive and I’m pretty sure no study will ever be done to confirm/deny it.

1 Like

Pretty sure jamming up the hospitals with COVID patients isn’t saving anyone money, I don’t get how this idea works.

2 Likes

It works if you think about their social security and medicare costs over 10-20 years. It’s super fucked up, but I suspect the math is pretty sound.

3 Likes

But it’s still cheaper than decades of obesity, hypertension, diabetes complications etc. - is the idea. Juvenile diabetes takes 10+ years off your life and isn’t usually pretty in the end. Obesity obviously. Hypertension can lead to non-deadly but debilitating stroke etc.

2 Likes

Bullets would be cheaper if you’re going down that route

I mean, you guys are assuming human life contributes zero in economic value.

1 Like