COVID-19: Chapter 6 - ThanksGRAVING

We’ll see if that’s really true over the next few years I think. The hangover after the Trump era for the GOP might be pretty damn bad. Like Hoover bad.

This winter is going to suck really bad. A lot of people are going to get really sick and a lot of those really sick people are going to either be really impaired or dead. The Biden admin will do a massively better job putting out the fire, but at this point it’s so large it probably won’t even be under control until the middle of next year.

If the season didn’t happen then he still goes top 5 in draft next summer. Playing this year is a risk to him.

If covid hurts his lungs/heart enough then he could be looking at not making the nfl due to decreased athleticism and stamina.

Jfc. I cant imagine what the death numbers are going to look like in 2-3 weeks. 2500? 3000? 4000?

1 Like

@bestof

1 Like

Covid is spreading “significantly” faster through England than even the government’s predicted “worst-case” scenario, documents reveal.

The Scientific Advisory Group for Emergencies (Sage) says there are around four times as many people catching Covid than anticipated.

A “reasonable worst-case scenario” is used by officials and the NHS to plan for the months ahead.

It had estimated 85,000 deaths from Covid over the course of winter.

2 Likes

The lame duck (hopefully) is going to be complete chaos.

The derpers will start blaming Biden for all their problems about Feb 1. At least there should be some hopeful vaccines out by then.

FTFY

9 Likes

think you nailed it pretty well, especially because if you give in on schools being safe then they’re like “if schools are safe then how is everything else like bars/resturatants not safe, huh libtard?”

4 Likes

I think he goes #1 if this season doesn’t happen. If he deliberately sat out maybe that would taint him a little - but I doubt it.

If he can’t shake this then it’s a whole different story. Yeah - huge risk w/o much upside for sure.

Luckily QBs don’t run that much.

But he misses out on one year of practices and games that might get him to the Mahomes level.

Not many instances of kids catching at school. Many showing it spreads at a lower rate around a school.

i was mislead by this. I was promised shirtless

1 Like

I didn’t want to get yelled at, but ok…

1 Like

Yeah, it really sucks. With Placer reopening schools, and about 80% opting for in person schooling, I took a look at the “curriculum” outline for those who are gonna stay fully remote.

Its abysmal compared to what’s going on with 100% remote. At least now he gets a different teacher for each subject and they hold daily in person meetings etc etc. The new setup will be a single teacher (not from within the district) “overseeing” all of the subjects, and about 90% asynchronous work. Asynchronous work was great for me getting my Masters degree, but there is no way that holds for a 12 year old. My wife and I are essentially going to need to be full time teachers in order for him to keep up.

1 Like

Can you explain what it is about school, a non-distanced indoor hours long event, that makes it spread less with kids than virtual school at home? Because on the surface that seems like an absurd argument.

I’m not sure what the numbers are. I think most of the classes are virtual, but I also believe that many thousands of students returned to campus, even if they’re taking those virtual classes from their dorm/apartment. Given that I expect most of the transmission to happen outside of classrooms, I think the volume of students returning to campus still had the potential (in my mind, certainty) that there would be huge increases in student-related cases. But that hasn’t happened (yet?).

Is it also possible heavy testing/tracing has allowed them to sequester the positives as they happen and infect fewer people than if left to their own devices.

Look I think there are ways to more safely open schools and colleges and heavy testing/tracing/mandatory quarantines would seem like they would work to me.

We don’t know this because we don’t test or trace well.

We do know that schools will often see 1 or 2 cases one week and then the next there are dozen(s) and they close the school down.

It does not spread less at real school than virtual school. No-one is saying that

If adults are more likely to catch and more likely to spread, then the kid faces a greater chance of catching it at home.

Here’s the way it works at UK schools, French, German, just about everywhere else other than US that has kids under 16yrs in school these days…

The school kids are split by year. Each year starts and finishes at staggered times. Kids dine at lunch in their year groups. There are 7yr groups at the school i talk about, each year with 70 kids, so about 500 kids in total under the age of 12yrs.

Each year closes down independrntly of the other if any cases are reported. By reported I mean the kids are not tested unless a relative pozz’s. In 3 months of OFS, 2 years have been sent home for 2 weeks quarantine because family member of the kids at school have tested positive. No spread in the school, no ‘outbreaks’.

The above is typical of almost every other first world country. Nationally, we are at 83% of kids in school, dropping about 3% a week.

Younger kids schools really aren’t the boogie man petri dish you imagine.

If you want to get cases as low as 25/100,000 before you OFS, then it’s vaccine or bust for USA schools which is sad! Richest country in the world unable to provide basic public service of schooling

Better hope Biden gets in, eh!

2 Likes

One of the big criticisms people have been making is that these rigorous studies that have been testing and monitoring students over months are surely going to be in the top 10% of schools that are taking things seriously. You might expect that alone to result in less spread and better outcomes for these schoolkids.

5 Likes