COVID-19: Chapter 6 - ThanksGRAVING

I bought a “amazon basics” outdoor heater for $120 in 2016 apparently. Obv they’re sold out now. It works fine on my deck through the 40s.

You raise some solid points, but these football stadiums aren’t going to fill themselves.

7 Likes

Bolded is possible, of course, but extremely unlikely imo. What we know about COVID in children so far is that very few kids die of it (total US COVID deaths in under 18s are around 100, similar to a typical flu season) and that as far as we can tell, the vast majority of kids have no lasting ill effects.

What would constitute better evidence of this than we already have? Like under what circumstances would you possibly say “ok it’s settled, COVID in children is no big deal”. It seems to me like such circumstances don’t exist and that therefore, functionally, your position is that you are going to blanket ignore any and all expert opinion because we can never really know. You can claim this isn’t science denial but it quacks like a duck as far as I’m concerned.

Bullshit. Our best evidence concerning a 9 month old novel virus is exactly that. Only our best evidence. We havent even had a winter with this thing yet. Maybe it mutates in some way in colder weather that makes it more dangerous to children. You know who knows whether thats the case? Fucking nobody. But we do know that them NOT getting the virus will not lead to any long term effects from the virus.

5 Likes

Imagine saying this about a new disease that we know basically nothing about and continuing on to bash people for having a loose relationship with science

4 Likes

@bestof

2 Likes

I worry that people might be overestimating how much being outside stops the virus from spreading. Some dudes sitting on a porch for a few hours seems risky to me.

Kids are probably not going to suffer long-term effects, but also they are going to be a reservoir for the virus to grow and spread if we go back to business as usual, and those kids are going to give it to their parents and grandparents. Seriously, have none of you ever had a co-worker with young children who comes down with every single cold/flu that’s making the rounds and spreads it to all of their co-workers?

6 Likes

I used to share a cubicle with a woman with two young sons and she would constantly get sick and not take leave and it would spread across the entire office. I can’t really be mad at her because if you’re a parent you don’t get enough leave to deal with children shit and also have time for self-isolation when you shouldn’t be at work. Maybe we’ll all learn from this, probably not.

At the same time I also had a boss who never went on leave even when he was obviously sick as a dog but that was because he was on some dumb gung-ho bullshit. Basically I was exposed to every single disease making the rounds every year.

2 Likes

9 Likes

Yea, Way too soon to say know what the lasting effects are. I don’t think we even know how long immunity for this virus lasts.

but we won’t.

Man I’d be so furious if I was a history teacher. They’ve been telling us all along to “learn history, so you don’t repeat it.” Little did they know that, confronted with COVID and Trump, we’d all - despite collective knowledge - just gleefully ignore our awareness of history.

Hitler? Fascism? Psh. Can’t happen.

1918 flu? Anti-maskers? Two waves? Lolwhocares.

3 Likes

Denver generally feels much less cold than KC at the same temp.

Cold air with high relative humidity “feels” colder than dry air of the same temperature because high humidity in cold weather increases the conduction of heat from the body.

Basically more water vapor conducts heat better than less. So if it’s hotter you get hotter, and if it’s colder you get colder.

2 Likes

Mikey on American chopper used to show up to work in shorts on the coldest day of the year. Granted they went well below his knees.

Absent a job I basically never wear pants in LA. I wouldn’t even wear a shirt if I didn’t have to.

1 Like

How is any of this a response to what I wrote? It’s exactly what I’m talking about. Just totally made up speculation of “maybe kids with covid will start to explode in winter” even though we in the southern hemisphere just had a winter, and because I can’t disprove your speculation, because it’s impossible to, you just won’t hear further argument on the subject.

The only way to know what the long term effects are is to wait for the long term. If “we don’t know what the long term effects are” is a good enough argument to make decisions on whether to open schools (for example) then this perforce means your answer to everything is always going to be “no” regardless of anything else. This is an obviously unreasonable position.

3 Likes

I bet you never got past the part of “Dragon’s Lair” where Dirk comes across the potion labeled “Drink Me”

1 Like

I never got past like move 5 on Dragon’s Lair. I always burned in a pit of fire iirc. Apparently I have no dexterity. Of all the big splash arcade games that one had to be the least alluring to me.

Here’s roughly my top 10 arcade games by # of quarters:

Gyruss
Ms. Pacman
Galaga
Donkey Kong
Ataxx
Elevator Action
Tron
Space Wars
Pole Position
Tempest

1 Like

There was a free play Dragon’s Lair at an arcade expo I went to two years ago. Still couldnt get far. God that game.

It was all about perfect timing and memorization. I didn’t find it fun.

No it wasn’t. It was just a technological marvel for its time.

1 Like