COVID-19: Chapter 6 - ThanksGRAVING

Sorry to call out your specific situation here but I can’t stress enough how frustrating it is that as a society we are engaged in a narrow but intense argument about what to do with school kids during a pandemic while ignoring the elephant in the room that our society requires that two parents who want to raise kids must work two full time jobs that can be yanked out from under them at any time and all they get for it is tenuous just-barely-enough coverage of middle class quality of life (if that). Instead of asking “what the fuck am I going to do with my kids if schools are closed” people really should be asking “how many yachts must billionaires have before I can raise healthy kids with a reasonable safety net”.

18 Likes

Hah, she’s already talking about being Punky next Halloween. Crazy that old show is capturing them. She hasn’t reached the refrigerator safety episode yet, I can’t wait.

1 Like

You would think the song’s spirit would lift you right off the ground. Seems you can’t be sure of anything anymore.

1 Like

Gonna make a second request that we make a separate OFS thread.

This thread is a goldmine of great info. But if you arent interested in this debate, its unreadable everytime it kicks off.

6 Likes

Ofs “debate” would be a lot more bearable if a few people would stop incorrectly assuming that there are people in this forum that want to close schools but also keep open things like bars.

Nothing but a bunch of strawmen from this group of miserable pedants

1 Like

I started an Education thread a while ago that got some COVID-related discussion, but it never really took off.

Also, something that I’m sure will resolve all of the arguments here: EconTalk just released a new podcast with Emily Oster largely focusing on COVID and schools.

Confirmed - From the outside, this is some Chinese level manipulation of the stats if no rebound reported shortly. Peeps have not only stopped testing poz but failed to bother dying too.

https://mobile.twitter.com/kerryjeanlister/status/1333358118223421442

8 Likes

Summary: Joe will sign US up to Covax

@goofyballer seems to like splitting off threads. With cuse and jal on a timeout, maybe he has time to do what you want.

I’d suggest the subject is over for another week at least so why hide the last 24 hrs of~100 posts by multiple posters with insightful views.

Attitudes have changed from 3 months ago. It’s an important topic.

Im not saying its not important. Im saying its a distinct topic which is worthy of its own thread.

Covid is the biggest thing in two decades. It can sustain more than one thread.

Ah the good ole refrigerator death trap episode.

How the fuck is Punky Brewster making a comeback?

1 Like

Fight back. Sing the Perfect Strangers theme song at them

2 Likes

I’d appreciate the opinions on this. My read is not so much that schools are worse. They are just not better.

https://twitter.com/drzoehyde/status/1312392762445066243?s=21

Otherwise I’m fine with a new thread though my opinion is it’s not needed.

I’d love to see solutions space. I’ve thrown out some ideas like cycling between longer periods of of OFS followed by 1-2 lockdowns.

Hopefully in the US we will get the opportunity for such plans coming about 7 weeks.

At this point there is a 0% chance of a competent response for Covid. It is vaccinate as many as possible as fast as possible.

1 Like

Update on the villages of the Canadian prairies:

So, when I last updated you, they had a “hugs not masks” rally where attendees were fined. The next week, during our strict “code red” lockdown, over 100 people attended church which caused more outcry.

And this weekend…

That area has a 40% positivity rate, the highest in Canada.

1 Like

It’s a data point to be sure. I expect epidemiologists will be sitting through the data and puzzling out if there are differences between adults and kids for years.

Moderna says they expect to have 20 million vaccine doses for the US market by the end of 2020. Very good news. If the Pfizer vaccine has a similar number we might see a significant fraction of the US population vaccinated this winter.

On schools. Some kids with disabilities or who have social issues have been doing better.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/education/remote-learning-has-been-a-disaster-for-many-students-but-some-kids-have-thrived/2020/10/02/5e7f3434-0400-11eb-a2db-417cddf4816a_story.html