COVID-19: Chapter 6 - ThanksGRAVING

Kindergarten teacher teaching through zoom it looks like

2 Likes

I just want to point out NY stats have allegedly 70,000 active cases with a 7dma of under 1000 for the last 2 months. Active cases is not a good metric and never has been as far as analyzing covid because that isn’t possible. Currently active case stats have 3 million of the 7 million total USA cases as “active”. That is not possible.

Analyzing the data on active cases isn’t likely to yield meaningful results.

2 Likes

I did a quick look at the county level top 50 over a 5 day measurement period and there are a lot of movers and shakers. While it’s not a complete measurement period, some that have been there are moving up significantly and there are a number of new places that are about to join the top 50 in the full measurement period barring major reporting increases.

The movers, shakers, and up and comers are:

San Diego County, CA (SDI 47)
Tarrant County, TX (SDI 38)
Dane County, WI (SDI 36)
Richland County, SC (SDI 34)
Wayne County, MI (SDI 38)
Sacramento County, CA (SDI 43)
Oakland County, MI (SDI 44)
Lancaster County, NE (SDI 36)
Alachua County, FL (SDI 45)
Prince George’s County, MD (SDI 53)
DuPage County, IL (SDI 38)

SDI in the 5 day measurement period is likely significantly higher than the expected final SDI in the ultimate measurement period.

1 Like

The special will air Sept. 30 at 8 p.m.

I’ll put up a banner closer to the date. Anyone who doesn’t show up is a scrub.

2 Likes

Newb guestion here but do we just watch it live with a live thread for it?

Yes. We will watch it live and discuss in this thread.

2 Likes

https://twitter.com/SportsCenter/status/1305919699289608200

Hey maybe they luck out and no one is permanently damaged! Worth the risk baby! SEC SEC SEC!

Yikes. People losing their sense of smell was always super ominous.

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-02599-5

“The neurological symptoms are only becoming more and more scary,” says Alysson Muotri, a neuroscientist at the University of California, San Diego, in La Jolla.

The list now includes stroke, brain haemorrhage and memory loss. It is not unheard of for serious diseases to cause such effects, but the scale of the COVID-19 pandemic means that thousands or even tens of thousands of people could already have these symptoms, and some might be facing lifelong problems as a result.

2 Likes

SDI is from cell phone data? I wonder once students get into dorms and Greek houses if SDI doesn’t measure well because there are tons of interactions with very little geographic movement???

Yeah “neurological” - always scary.

I have a college friend who is 35ish, and was healthy, she’s on like day 90 of battling post covid. She basically can’t walk because of neurological issues. Her legs just spaz out and tremor. I wish I could share the video that she shared of her doing therapy trying to address these issues. It’s terrifying.

4 Likes

Dammit I have an amazing story here that I can’t share because it made the news.

Let’s just say I 100% buy this, and it had awful consequences for someone

1 Like

This chronic fatigue syndrome - this seems to happen to women more for some reason. At least from the articles I’ve read.

Cfs is something different… if it’s really even a thing is an open question.

It’s from a lot of variables but that’s one of the main ones. At county level, the SDI numbers are including Sat-Sun (always very high everywhere), so I’d expect a drop of 5-10 points when Mon-Tue are added back in.

This is where I can remind everyone that SDI isn’t intended to say what’s going on in a place once we’re in something, it tells us more when we might get out of a hot spot or when a place that isn’t hot might get hot. I’m probably going to start graphing big new entries from the top 50 once data comes in through 9/14 to get an idea of what places that went from low numbers to top 50 looked like throughout the three parts of the first wave.

https://twitter.com/juliaioffe/status/1306010213481418752

10 Likes

Supposedly one of the reasons it’s doubted so much is because it usually happens to women and doctors are male. I’ve read multiple articles comparing it to the long haul symptoms of covid (rightly or wrongly), including doctors not always believing them.

2 Likes

yeah, I doubt that COVID is messing with your tongue all that much, so it’s probably fucking with your brain if it causes you to lose your sense of taste. That’s just not good.

American women have really gone downhill. When Anna Nicole Smith was 26 she married an 89-year-old billionaire.

1 Like