COVID-19: Chapter 6 - ThanksGRAVING

I believe going to football games at a minimum so I’m say somewhere between the 2

1 Like

Is your Sister still good, Mike?

20 Likes

I get the idea of trying to continue some semblance of a normal life. Shit’s bad here but I still went to a cafe to talk to a few friends yesterday.

In my opinion, a balance between mental health and our own protection against covid is necessary. I learned that while I am no social butterfly, I still need some social interaction to keep myself sane. As I mentioned, I was mentally fucked up after the full lockdown earlier in the year.

So yeah, I’ll go out from time to time but I’m bumping elbows.

1 Like

It also really depends where you live. Lots of different circumstances around here.

Mike said the majority of the people in this country (somehow) democratically decided that they don’t give a fuck about his sister and he’s just following the crowd, I mean what else can he do???

2 Likes

sounds like a fun guy but covid avoidance not top of the list

3 Likes

True. The Czech lockdown was a slightly less restrictive version of what Italy had. So yeah I’ve been looking for a competent, reasonably priced therapist for a bit now.

Maybe I woke up on the wrong side of the bed today, but the whole “unless I get to do some fun risky stuff I’m going to develop mental illness” is some bullshit.

If you have to chill out and watch Netflix and eat takeout instead of going to festivals and football games and bars, you aren’t going to go crazy you Charmin soft babyback bitches. Grow the hell up, my god.

Edit: not directed at anyone in specific just annoyed that this has become an accepted thing.

17 Likes

purely anecdotal, but i’m seeing a lot more psych issues. While I’m sympathetic to your pov, it does seem like a thing.

1 Like

Oh for sure. I have a ton of anxiety surrounding the destabilization of the country, racial unrest, rampant unemployment, rapidly escalating pandemic.

I just think not going to bars and concerts causing mental illness is made up bullshit that people are floating like a trial balloon to make themselves feel better so they can excuse killing my mom.

9 Likes

Charmin soft babyback bitches is a good way to put it imo

1 Like

Like the economy the way you address the mental health problems surrounding Covid is to first address the actual problem which is the spread of the virus.

4 Likes

I keep hearing people bemoan the disaster the restaurant industry is going through. Restaurants in most states have been open more than 5 months now. If the solution was really just getting OPEN FOR BUSINESS then wouldn’t that have resulted in a better outcome?

Even the half-assed lockdown itself was only 6 weeks most places. During that time most businesses stayed open and restaurants sold carryout. The whole narrative that the lockdown wrecked everything is just not based on reality.

1 Like

How many of these psych issues were at least partially related to the patient’s financial/job situation?

meh, not my job to figure that out. Most don’t have a clear reason. Most common is some sort of existing disease like bipolar disorder or schizophrenia and deciding not to take their medicines. Second is drunk-icidals and other suicidal while intoxicated.

(my job is to medically clear people, then psych comes in and does their work)

1 Like

“Our policies don’t completely solve a problem so there’s no point in doing anything” is actually a foundational political tool used by small government types to prevent any progress. We shouldn’t be surprised that it pops up here. Its actually a pretty seductive argument that works on a lot of people, and meshes well with foundational American Conservative values like Freedom. They often succeed in getting progressive policy makers to chase their tail endlessly to find The One Neat Trick that will get their policies to satisfy Conservative demands for perfection, but of course no progressive policy will ever be deemed perfect enough.

8 Likes

7 Likes

Not sure if ponied, but more info on flying.

There are some qualifiers, Lyons noted. The conditions that yielded positive results, he said, involved aircraft with HEPA filtration and “a very, very high air exchange rate of every two to five minutes or two to three minutes.”

But under those conditions, he indicated, particle spread rates were even lower than in a conventional indoor setting.

“In fact, I would tell you that in my observations, and I’ve flown commercially since the pandemic started, being on a commercial airplane with HEPA filtration is probably one of the safest places that you can be,” Lyons said. “And those test reports will be out very, very soon.”

3 Likes

gg herd immunity

Danny Altmann, a professor of immunology at Imperial College London, says it seems that about 90% of people who have experienced “a clear, symptomatic infection” have the antibodies to fight off another infection, “perhaps for about a year.”

“Of course, that leaves 10% who don’t” have sufficient antibodies to fight off a second infection, he wrote in an email to NPR. “[T]hey have precisely the same risk as anyone out there, thus a small but significant number of reinfections.”

Not great. Not doomsday scenario. Definitely looks like it’s vaccine or bust though.

If the one year thing is true - the second half of winter could get really ugly.

Big question I guess is if those after one year people get it just as bad the second time. Ugh.