COVID-19: Chapter 6 - ThanksGRAVING

Well, wish me luck. I have officially booked rooms for Vegas and will be driving there today. I will field any COVID-related thoughts here, otherwise will probably use my RV notablog thread for a trip report and discuss other aspects.

The indoor Trump rally and the potential for forest fire refugees scare me a bit.

4 Likes

I think the main difference is that in Florida many Floridians recognize the absurdity of the place and even embrace it. I think that in Ohio they think the way they live (amped up performative white washed Americanism) is the natural order handed down by God and Reagan and that everyone outside their cult are the crazy ones.

1 Like

I think it’s more weird that the Brazil curve whipsaws like that. I’d be more inclined to examine the data for flaws than try to derive insights from a curve like that.

The higher the the position the worse the tech skills.

1 Like

Skyline Chili?

2 Likes

Some people think nunnehi should be contained. Some people don’t. What do you think? Vote over here:

Someone in my kids’ middle school parents FB group posted a poll to see who was going to send their kids back and who was staying home. Current results:

Face-to-face: 45
Remote: 16 (includes me)
Undecided: 5
Homeschool: 1

WAAF

2 Likes

Our children are the most precious snowflakes - which is why they need to be exposed to disease!

1 Like

Yeah, I’m really nervous that distance learning is going to be a complete afterthought once we are OFS. It sucks. My wife and I will pick up the slack, but the system in place now really is working well. I’ve watched some of the lessons and it seems roughly equivalent to what you would expect from in person instruction. I cant imagine that keeps up once 75% of kids are back in school

1 Like

my two younger kidis school did it by having one or two teachers for each grade just have classes that are remote, so they don’t deal with the in person at all. I think thats a good way to do it so they dont have to split time and you don’t have to worry. My oldest in middle school though is basically just getting a lesson plan to do himself though sooooooooo

Yeah my son is in middle school as well. It seems like that might be the biggest problem area. With multiple subjects taught by multiple teachers, schools will essentially have to double their workforce in the middle of a teacher shortage in order to keep pace. Makes perfect sense

Czech PM sounded exactly like Donald Trump today with his “Nobody tests as much as we do” line and bragging about being one of the first countries to require wearing masks.

Guess that’s the way we’re going as the country becomes a giant covid petri dish. Honestly, we might end up worse than America at this rate.

Also BTW, 968 cases before 6:30 PM. People were making a big thing about breaking 1,000 cases in a day just a week ago. Might break 2,000 today.

1 Like

One thing that seems very bad to me is that America is leading the way on Covid in a very negative way. It seems a lot of countries are heading down the same path as USA #142. We have given other countries cover in this regard and give them the playbook on how to do it. Much of Europe is either at or heading towards their peaks.

Some kind of world solidarity on this thing would have been nice but I guess that is impossible with Trump at the helm of a major nation.

2 Likes

Great state parks if you’re into that sort of thing. Columbus is an underrated city. I dunno, at least it’s not The South.

3 Likes

This is from my local paper.

It is 75 people. Absolutely nothing. Stop amplifying idiots!

4 Likes

Ohio is awful. The rural areas are filled with stupid fat racist morons, inevitably on all kinds of government support while railing against lazy black people and rotting their brains on either drugs, Fox News or both. These places are as depressing as any terrible place in the country. Setting foot in any one of the following places will instantly make you suicidal:

Marion
Mansfield
Lancaster
Zanesville
Newark
Findlay
Portsmouth

On top of that, you have several dying rust belt towns that are equally depressing. Zero leadership, zero hope, zero anything except crippling poverty, drug abuse, depression, etc.These include:

Toledo
Steubenville
Youngstown
Akron

Then you have Cleveland and Cincinnati, which are both bleeding population but do have some “nice” areas, and Columbus, which is legitimately thriving but still full of massively racist asshats as far as the eye can see.

4 Likes

Yellow Springs is nice if you’re a hippie and you have a lot of money.

Side question: since when did hippy become hippie?

1 Like

CZ is an exception, we are making adaptions to adult life to keep under 16’s in school where possible…

England - no larger than 6 in a group, indoors or outdoors (except for work and school)

The new measures mean police can break up groups larger than six, with fines of up to £3,200 if people flout the rules.

:thinking:

2 Likes