COVID-19: Chapter 5 - BACK TO SCHOOL

50% capacity, basically what it was at in June when they shut down.

This is just wrong. There’s been pandemics before and there will be again. Even with a bit of lag on creation and distribution of a vaccine, things should by fully open by April or May.

Jfc. That’s insane.

April wtf? Vaccine not until June supposedly and even then… yeah. 2021 is a lost cause almost certainly.

There’s like 15+ vaccine candidates in trials. I assume some will pass by Jan/Feb, then 3-5 months for distribution. Things can go bad, or it can be a two injection or low temp vaccine, but May seems plausible enough.

I hope you’re right. There’s certainly a possible future in which we never get a vaccine.

Yeah, I think the most likely outcome is a 50-70% effective vaccine the next few years. But the range of outcomes definitely includes no vaccine.

The only future where we literally never get a vaccine is where the virus goes away on its own to the point that humans lose interest in producing one.

2 Likes

Have any of the prior pandemics ended in 12-18 months? Weren’t most ~3 years?

I’m pretty confident we’re going to take a vaccine that’s 50-70% effective, and have a choice: maintain low occupancy and masks and squash it or YOLO it up with stadiums full of people and packed bars an no masks and keep the steady burn going.

All indications are that we’ll decide as a society YOLOOOOOO BITCHESSSSSS!!!

It’s like a miracle.

4 Likes

It could take 5, 10, 20 years to get a highly effective vaccine. It seems pretty likely we’ll get at least a 50% effective vaccine within 4 years. Earliest timeline is Q1 2021, time will tell.

1 Like

Ok never ever is a bit strong. Never in our life times is on the table. Plenty of diseases have no vaccine.

1 Like

This is about where I’m at. The best case scenario is getting the number of cases down then aggressively test/trace. Other countries are there, so they can kinda safely have concerts and sports, but they’ll still be a risk. School and work would be very low risk though.

If we ever do a real shutdown, we could potentially be in that situation after 2-4 months, but I don’t think we’re ever shutting down, even if Biden wins. So like, best case scenario is that 2021 is already done and things might be better in 2022? If there’s never an effective vaccine then it could be longer? All things considered, there’s a decent chance 2020 is the best year for America for a while.

2 Likes

Almost every virologist that I’ve seen discuss the issue has said Covid-19 appears to be an easier than normal virus to create a vaccine for. They could be wrong and there could be surprises but I think it’s 90% there’s some kind of vaccine by Feb. (Though it may require low temps and not be easy to administer and 300m or 7bn vaccines will take some time).

I didn’t say a 50-70% chance at a vaccine I said the most likely outcome is a 50-70% effective vaccine.

My advice is don’t try this if you’re not prepared for the consequences of failure.

1 Like

You mean like God smites me out of existence? I’ll risk it.

for(var i=0; i <= 100; i++) {
  if( i==3 || i == 6 || i == 9 || i ==12 || i == 18 || i == 21 || i == 24 || i == 27 || i == 33 || i == 36 || i == 39 || i == 42 || i == 48 || i == 51 || i == 54 || i == 57 || i == 63 || i == 67 || i == 73 || i == 76 || i == 79 || i == 82 || i == 88 || i == 91 || i == 94 || i == 97) 
  {
    console.log("Fizz");
  }

if ( i == 5 || i == 10 || i == 20 || i == 25 || i == 35 || i == 40 || i == 50 || i == 55 || i == 65 || i == 70 || i == 80 || i == 85 || i == 95 || i == 100)
  {
    console.log("Buzz");
  }

if ( i == 15 || i == 30 || i == 45 || i == 60 || i == 75 || i == 90)
  {
    console.log("FizzBuzz");
  }
}

Am I hired?

2 Likes

You should be so lucky.

1 Like

not hired

5 Likes