COVID-19: Chapter 5 - BACK TO SCHOOL

Just dropped my kid off at gymnastics. I’m not thrilled she has started back, but we feel like we found a gym that is actually taking safety seriously. It’s massive, so it’s not like the girls are mashed together. They social distance and the team is only about 7 or 8 kids. Everything is very clean. My daughter told me after each rotation is done, they use a garden sprayer-type device to spray disinfectant on things.

So we’ll see.

My family just did this and after less than 90 days our only regret is not doing it sooner.

1 Like

Are you near there now? If so, maybe send Tommyknocker via the mentioned beer club thing going on? The Imperial Nut Brown Ale is possibly my favorite beer ever. Close to my favorite at least even though the Beer Advocate reviews aren’t superb (85)

No no, I cribbed the photo from the internet. I was just running with the joke. I assume that’s Golden, CO?

1 Like

Ponied, just posting to nominate

https://www.salon.com/2020/08/21/republican-sen-bill-cassidy-who-is-a-physician-tests-positive-for-covid-19_partner/

I think JetBlue did the right thing here, but I don’t suppose that was the article’s intent.

1 Like

There’s nothing worse than a Republican Congressional doctor, well, except for military Republican Congressional doctors. These seem to be right up there with the worst people on the planet.

Including your pony.

1 Like

Numbers seem better the past few weeks right? Would like more testing but I’d expect a drop in deaths in a week or two

I haven’t checked numbers today yet, but about 2 weeks ago we were averaging nearly 800k tests per day (some days pushing 900k). The first four days of this week struggled to hit 650k, numbers we probably haven’t seen since the week or two before the peak in cases. Cases are probably a bit down, but low testing is massively covering up reality right now. Things are right about to start getting very bad again.

At a conservative 5% positive rate across the country (many places are not this low or this high), cases per day are probably at least about 5400 down solely based on testing. That means in the very best case scenario we’re probably still ‘really’ hitting about 48-49k catchable cases per day that aren’t solely due to testing. I think reality is significantly worse but we’ll never know for sure. The last 2-3 weeks in testing has been an absolute joke and highly misleading to overall data.

I’m also fairly sure deaths were supposed to have dropped this week significantly if it’s tracking the case curve properly.

So starting up teaching “hybrid” at the local community college. This first week was all online, and next week was, let’s do some in person. Already had one student email me saying she couldn’t come because she tested positive for COVID. Yeah this situation is completely utterly FUBAR.

This is a community college that doesn’t have dorms. LOL dorms.

2 Likes

wtf. What’s the classroom situation like? Masks? Distancing?

My test was negative. They said I would get it by Wednesday. I called today looking for it. They said I should have checked my spam folder. I was specifically worried about that and was obsessively checking my spam folder.

4 Likes

The current plan is cap on classroom size. So they tried to figure out how many students could fit into each room with proper social distancing. Masks required. Temperature check when you walk in.

I mean I actually think they are doing everything possible to have “safe” in class learning…but safe in class learning just not fucking possible right now

1 Like

New cases have been slowly declining since late July, but it seems very likely that school openings will reverse that trend. I would guess that we see a big spike upward in ~2 weeks.

Anybody going to check out some new releases this weekend? AMC, Regal, etc. OFB today in states where it’s allowed (40+ states will allow it, at least in some areas)

Fuck that…

But I have been tempted to go watch Jurassic Park in the theaters since they have been playing that. But still no.

lol, what the hell are they even showing?

What would I even see if I was a moron who was dumb enough to go to the theater now? What are theaters even showing these days? I checked Rotten Tomatoes and it’s all streaming movies/shows.

1 Like

Isn’t AMC doing a 15 cent ticket promotion? I’d buy out an entire auditorium at that price.

1 Like