COVID-19: Chapter 5 - BACK TO SCHOOL

I get it too. Its awesome. You get an email every day of the letters that are coming. It’s great for lazy people that hate walking to the mailbox and there’s nothing in it. This is what’s being delivered today.

Fat shaming sucks and people around here are often guilty of it, but feeling like you have to make a case that’s it’s not unhealthy is very much a thing where you treat your ideology like a religion and reject facts and science…something that you rail against frequently.

1 Like

People. You don’t need to go on a vent IMMEDIATELY if your O2 sats are 90-95.

Maybe there are underlying lung conditions. COPD, asthma, etc. Maybe you’re just old.

We do start worrying if you’re sitting in the 80’s without supplemental oxygen or anything else though.

Above all, it comes down to if you FEEL you can’t catch your breath.

6 Likes

Mark Pocan is pretty cool. All the dems who voted against the Pentagon cut suck. Primary Feinstein and Harris. Gillibrand, Booker, Klobs, and Schumer voted for it.

2 Likes

I get it. Instead of opening an empty mailbox irl, I open a virtual mailbox to see there’s nothing there.

4 Likes

The second saves time but will keep kill you due to a sedentary lifestyle and possibly BMI.

1 Like

Off on my big road trip. Stocked cooler with drinks snacks and a hoagie. First rest stop along the PA turnpike 100% mask compliance. Every other stall closed. Indoor dining seems available but not being used. Only 2 of 5 food stands actually open plus the convenience mart.

2 Likes

5 Likes

Instead, the real origin is more likely to go back to a jazz musician turned sandwich shop owner named Al De Palma. In the late '20s, he saw some fellow hepcats eating a sub, and commented to himself that you “had to be a hog” to eat a sandwich that big. So when he opened a sub shop during the Depression, he started calling his big sandwiches “hoggies,” and eventually opened chains across the city. As for why “hoggie” turned to “hoagie,” the best explanation out there is probably the Philadelphia accent itself. Ever heard those guys talk?

Yous people from Pennsylvania, does “hoggie” sound like “hoagie” in your accent?

There have been stories of people with covid feeling mostly ok despite super low pulse ox readings that indicate they need to be on O2 at the very least.

This. I agree completely.

But he’s in the 80s with no underlying lung issues to cause that. The top indicator in that big Chinese study that a patient would need a vent was a Blood O2 reading < 93. Maybe we’ve adjusted the range since then?

There used to be a place near my house in Georgia, of all places, that called its sandwiches “grinders.” It was awesome and I’m so sad it closed. But we have a Dollar Store there now!

1 Like

My meter claims an accuracy of +/- 2%. But that’s under ideal conditions. Those include

Just changing from my index finger to middle finger changes the reading from 93% to 97%.

From wiki:

A typical pulse oximeter uses an electronic processor and a pair of small light-emitting diodes (LEDs) facing a photodiode through a translucent part of the patient’s body, usually a fingertip or an earlobe. One LED is red, with wavelength of 660 nm, and the other is infrared with a wavelength of 940 nm. Absorption of light at these wavelengths differs significantly between blood loaded with oxygen and blood lacking oxygen. Oxygenated hemoglobin absorbs more infrared light and allows more red light to pass through. Deoxygenated hemoglobin allows more infrared light to pass through and absorbs more red light. The LEDs sequence through their cycle of one on, then the other, then both off about thirty times per second which allows the photodiode to respond to the red and infrared light separately and also adjust for the ambient light baseline.[39]

The amount of light that is transmitted (in other words, that is not absorbed) is measured, and separate normalized signals are produced for each wavelength. These signals fluctuate in time because the amount of arterial blood that is present increases (literally pulses) with each heartbeat. By subtracting the minimum transmitted light from the transmitted light in each wavelength, the effects of other tissues are corrected for, generating a continuous signal for pulsatile arterial blood.[40] The ratio of the red light measurement to the infrared light measurement is then calculated by the processor (which represents the ratio of oxygenated hemoglobin to deoxygenated hemoglobin), and this ratio is then converted to SpO2 by the processor via a lookup table[40] based on the Beer–Lambert law.[39]

Lived in PA as a teenager. Hoagie does not sound like hoggie. Perhaps it does with a Pittsburgh accent. I don’t know.

Anyway, NY should definitely be “hero”. Never heard anybody call it a sub there.

The leading indicator for needing a vent is hypoxia? You don’t say😂? it’s actually not, high CO2 is a more important indicator for needing a vent. We have lots of ways to give you oxygen, only a couple ways to help you get rid of CO2. In all seriousness, dad should be in the ER already. SpO2 <90 with no known lung issues is bad. At a minimum he needs supplemental oxygen and monitoring. Hopefully the hospitals are getting covid tests back faster as well. Also the fact that he is in the low 80s and not really feeling it seems like a COVID thing, that or he has an undiagnosed lung disease and is used to being that low.

14 Likes

Seems generally right, though I’m sure a few will be rearranged as we continue to get new information.

4 Likes

Not bad, but seems like it should be more to scale.

Nightclub should be many, many times larger than takeout food and gas station.

Hey, I’m working on it! Though my BMI is normal and I’m relatively active rn.

So far looking like another 1000+ today… high totals from AZ and FL

another point for team takeout

4 Likes

Wearing a mask mandatory in indoor public gatherings of 100 or more people starting Saturday in the Czech Republic.

I’m sure there’ll be more restrictions to come.