COVID-19: Chapter 5 - BACK TO SCHOOL

There is some report out there that says age 65 vs 35 but I’ve never found a source.

I viewed the concentration of positives of youngs as water pushing against the dam protecting older people. If the pressure keeps building, something as to give. If they don’t work around old people they live and and work around people who do work around old people. It’s a ticking time bomb.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/IAmGryphoneer/status/1279466997286305793?s=19

5 Likes

People are now being tested and getting results within the first week or so of getting it and then they take 4-6 weeks to die.

So a lot of the hospital and death numbers today can be explained by “wait 4 weeks”

If death rate is truly low in 4 weeks (not fudged) then the other factors you mention may be in play; but it’s too early to know. We gotta wait until near end of July to see the effects of last week.

2 Likes

https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/505936-hundreds-of-scientists-write-letter-to-who-arguing-coronavirus-is-airborne

It’s still amazing to me that we’re this many months into this thing and there doesn’t seem to be consensus on something like this, which seems pretty basic to a layman. I mean, I guess it’s obviously not basic or there’d be consensus? The feeling that the WHO, CDC, FDA, etc, have political agendas definitely doesn’t help.

Serious question: Is “airborne” a fuzzy concept?

Yes.

Nicholas, we might be neighbors.

Did you get a parent option of either (1) commit to 9 weeks remote learning or (2) go for in-person with the option to go remote at any time?

Pretty sure they are working to blame parents for shitting on educators and the community.

Right - but FL, AZ and TX have been open a lot longer than since last week. We’ve been saying deaths were going to catch up for a while, and they haven’t yet.

Same here.

I just take issue with the idea that demographics can’t explain the current low death rates.

Yes very much so.

This article seems very well written, and clears up a lot of the confusion:

It sounds like the WHO keeps insisting it’s not “aerosolized” except by CPAP machines or w/e. Whereas lots of other groups are pointing out that there’s overwhelming evidence that either that’s wrong, or it doesn’t matter, because people are catching it from the air in poorly-ventilated indoor spaces.

There seem to be a lot of experts who don’t think fomite (surface) transmission is even common compared to breathing in micro-droplets.

For public health officials such as Tedros (who goes by his first name), a truly airborne virus is one that floats around for extended periods—like measles, which is known to be infectious in the air for at least half an hour. A pathogen like this can create a nightmare scenario. A sick person might ride an elevator, for instance, and shed some virus along the way. Later on, someone else who got into the same elevator might breathe in those germs and develop the disease.

There are very good reasons to believe—and good reasons for public-health officials to assure the public—that the new coronavirus virus isn’t “airborne” in that specific and apocalyptic sense. But the definition used by these officials may also be obscuring vital details of transmission. In particular, it papers over all the nuances in how someone’s virus-laden cough or sneeze or breath really travels through the air. The authorities employ a rule of thumb for distinguishing what they call “droplets” from “aerosols.” Droplets are often defined as being larger than 5 microns in diameter, and forming a direct spray that is propelled by cough or sneeze up to 2 meters away from the source patient. Aerosols, in this scenario, are smaller gobs of potentially biohazardous material that may remain afloat for longer distances.

This black-and-white division between droplets and aerosols doesn’t sit well with researchers who spend their lives studying the intricate patterns of airborne viral transmission. The 5-micron cutoff is arbitrary and ill-advised, according Lydia Bourouiba, whose lab at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology focuses on how fluid dynamics influence the spread of pathogens. "This creates confusion,” she says. First of all, it garbles terminology. Strictly speaking, the aerosols are droplets, too. When you breathe out or cough, you release bits of watery mucus from inside your body in a wide array of sizes, ranging from bigger, wetter ones to finer ones. All of these are droplets . The smallest droplets are commonly described as aerosols . Whatever you call them, though, any of these bits of mucus may be laced with viral pathogens. To make matters more complicated, when the water component of droplets dries up in the air, the remaining bits of floating virus are called “droplet nuclei,” which are even lighter and more apt to travel long distances. Aside from size, other factors, such as local humidity and any drafts of air, will also affect how far a droplet flies.

I’m in Forsyth

We got online or in person

Didn’t see option to change from in-person to online at any time.

Have to enroll for online for elementary by 7/12 and for virtual academy for middle/high by 7/31

Their great increase in cases is over the past 2-3 weeks so 2-3 weeks from now we will see deaths rise.

It took time from Open for Business until huge case spikes since it takes a few spreading cycles to jump up.

I need some new masks, I assume sites like this are at best gouging if not pure bullshit?

https://accumed.com/

Suggestions? I have a box of surgical masks coming from amazon next week which are probably going to suck too, but I only use those to double up.

https://twitter.com/drtomfrieden/status/1279178174832705536?s=21

Hey, stop freeloading - USA#1 withdrew their $500m WHO funding months ago. What does the CDC have to say on this? (Crickets, they’re gonna re-right the WHO verdict if / when the WHO have CONCLUSIVE evidence)

I got some KN95 masks on eBay that seem pretty legit. There are a ton on there.

We should have a dedicated mask thread.

EDIT: I’ll make one.

done: Masks / Face Coverings

1 Like

I moved to TN in May. I notice in stores like Publix a lot more people wear masks than something like Kroger. Walmart is LOL bad. I’m guessing educated people with more money wear them.

1 Like

The sudden jump, concentrated among those in their 20s, reflected a sharp and uncontrolled rise in the virus that has hit Texas harder than many other places in the country. Unlike the early weeks of the pandemic, when infections were concentrated in the state’s mainly liberal cities, the virus has now reached into the deep-red regions of the state that have resisted aggressive public health regulation.

Yet for many conservatives, even those with the virus now at their door, the resurgence has not changed opinions so much as hardened them.

For those Texans, trust in government is gone, if it was there to begin with, and that includes some of the state’s top leaders. On Tuesday, Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick of Texas declared himself tired of Dr. Anthony Fauci, the nation’s top infectious disease doctor. “I don’t need his advice anymore,” Mr. Patrick said.

That sentiment was echoed outside a popular, newly opened hamburger restaurant in Wolfforth, Texas, just outside Lubbock, where even Mr. Abbott, a Republican, came under harsh criticism. “It seems like he’s been influenced by Fauci and the left,” said Mark Stewart, who sat with his wife and children and several other families at a gathering for locals who home school.

None in the 18-person group, which squeezed around several outside tables, wore masks or made an attempt to stay distant. “This is the first time we’ve met each other and we don’t care,” said Mr. Stewart’s wife, Tamera, adding that other people might take precautions when they are together and stay far apart. “Texas has all kinds. But we’re done with all that.”

“There’s a lot of frustration that the governor is not giving our nation a contrasted worldview to that of California or New York,” said Luke Macias, a conservative Republican political consultant in Texas who said that Mr. Abbott had not offered a conservative vision of how to deal with the crisis. “With Abbott, he’s tried to have his cake and eat it too; he wants to not protect your individual liberty and then say he is.”

Before Mr. Abbott’s latest order, mayors in West Texas had blocked efforts to require residents to wear masks while inside stores, in some cases linking their opposition to disgust with leaders in Austin and Washington.

“Free Americans, and free Texans, must not allow a fractious, divided and politically motivated body of values lightweights to dictate day-to-day living,” Mayor Patrick Payton of Midland said at a news conference on Wednesday.

Ms. Ellison said she was defying the state’s order again and keeping her bar open. She has joined a statewide lawsuit over the governor’s closures.

If anything, she said, the aggressive growth of coronavirus cases in Odessa made her more confident in reopening. “It has affected it in a more positive way,” she said. “We’re having people survive,” she said, adding, “Let’s just let this run its course.”

4 Likes