COVID-19: Chapter 5 - BACK TO SCHOOL

Trump just directly taking over the Covid data must make daddy Putin so proud.

2 Likes

Hallelujah for at least some portions of Missourah

https://twitter.com/kytv/status/1282898340900937730

“The Springfield-Greene County Health Department takes an evidence-based approach to protect and promote the health of our community. Evidence continues to underline the effectiveness of wearing face coverings to prevent the spread of COVID-19, and as such, is the recommendation of this department,” said Clay Goddard, Director of Springfield-Greene County Health Department.

Also LOL

https://twitter.com/ParkerPadgett/status/1282853642584940544

I’ll be damned. Me too. From Charleston. Taught for 15 years at New Madrid. Lived in Sikeston all that time. Heh. It truly is a shithole. :(

1 Like

The real reason slow testing sucks is most people continue normal activity while waiting for results.

Life comes at you fast

(seriously, I hope his son is ok. Don’t want anyone* to die from this shit)

*ok, maybe there are a couple people I can think of…

12 Likes

Sure… it’s also an extremely unpleasant experience.

I’m beginning to think weather actually is super important. The correlation between hot May-June weather and disastrous June-July outbreaks is nearly perfect.

I mean, obviously Florida et al have had shit social distancing, which is driving everything to an extent. But am I missing some special reason Iowa, Nebraska, South Dakota, and all the other deplorable midwestern states have miraculously faded a big outbreak?

We’ve speculated hot weather (ie people congregate indoors) is just as bad as cold. If you assume this is the dominant factor rather than just a contributing factor, it would indicate the midwest is about to get completely clobbered, the northeast/Michigan will fade a major resurgence until September/October after which winter will be extremely difficult, Florida might be easier to manage after September, etc.

I’ve been thinking about this.

It’s definitely a good thing to get a person to see the difference in a claim with no supporting evidence vs a claim with any supporting evidence. But then there is the concept of proportional relevance that requires much deeper analysis. We have people stuck in the “there is no evidence” vs “there is evidence” phase. They see 1k likes and shares on FB as equivalent to a peer-reviewed science article.

A person needs complex working memory in order to juggle several different variables for proportional relevance of evidence. One single piece of data vs 1k contradictory pieces. Or 1k data points vs 1k other data points. How do you begin to make sense of it? There’s a long-established process to do so, but it’s harder to learn than a lot of us remember.

2 Likes

This is amazing, and I’ll just say you’re a much nicer person than I and leave it at that.

1 Like

Idaho? Washington? Those states aren’t that hot and aren’t doing that well. I think there is some correlation but would be shocked if OFB isn’t the most important variable.

1 Like

That map is apparently not accurate. It’s conflating places where you need a visa with places where you have to quarantine. For example, Americans can still travel to the UK right now without a Visa, you just need to quarantine for 14 days when you get there.

Turkey and Tanzania are both green, and both great, so there’s that.

Boise has hotter mean summer highs than Atlanta.

Washington is perhaps a counterexample, but it isn’t having an outbreak anything like the magnitude of a Southeastern state. Nevada and Arkansas could potentially be counterexamples (very hot but no devastating outbreak, yet).

I mean, I see her point. When I interviewed my best friend’s grandparents about their experience coming to the U.S., they told me that, as Jews, they they decided to get out of Europe before Hitler marched through so that they wouldn’t have to wear protective face coverings.

4 Likes

No shit!? I grew up in Dexter. My wife’s family still lives there so I go cryingly go back once a year.

I’m not even sure a place like covidtracking will report much more than 70k in a day under similar conditions to today. For that site, until proven wrong outside of outliers I think they’re typically going to report from 56k to 64k depending on day of the week with the highest number on Fridays (could see a 70k number there, but haven’t yet).

Unless testing really ramps up, I think it will be really hard to have 100k reported cases in a day. I guess it will probably happen if or when we’re routinely at around 1.2 million tests per day, but the pandemic may be over by the time that kind of testing happens at this rate (I still think we’re around ~650k right now on average). I don’t think there’s much doubt there are probably already close to 100k cases in a day but not enough test results returning for any site to come close to capturing that yet.

I think 12% positive rate nationwide positive rate is happening this month and I think 850k tests is doable. .12x850k=102k positive

And Dexter is one of the better places in the bootheel, lol. Were you in band at all in school there?

Better jokes I heard was that the southern tier counties of Iowa could defect to Missouri and raise the IQ of both states.

5 Likes

I think it’s just as bad as far as being indoors. But I’ve read at least one expert who thinks cold is going to be worse - due to much less moisture in the cold air outside and heated air inside (just think of what happens to your mucus membranes in that kind of weather - also the virus may stay viable much longer in that kind of air).

How much of a factor just being indoors factors in, vs. even more ideal conditions for the virus factors in, I’m sure no one knows.