COVID-19: Chapter 5 - BACK TO SCHOOL

That is all you need to know. When they ask for waivers it means fuck you and die for the economy.

3 Likes

I don’t think it’s a crazy idea. I’m only doing it at my house where I can control the environment to some extent and think I can keep the risk of spread very low. I’m not counting on the other families to be as careful as I want them to be.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t be comfy sending kids to school right now; imo it’s clearly too soon and is guaranteed to end in unnecessary death. The end.

That said, if I was in a townhall for this, I also wouldn’t be comfy throwing gas on the fire. For sure there are a legion of parents who want to reopen for purely stupid or selfish or MAGA reasons. But there are also a lot of thoughtful parents who have talked themselves into supporting reopening in relatable ways. They are afraid their kids’ future lives will be less fruitful & happy. They are afraid for their home lives right now; they are at the outmost breaking point for any of a million private reasons. Haven’t we all been in dozens of conversations with parents who both have demanding jobs, now twice as demanding on zoom, who are also watching their little kids 24/7? It’s insane, and insanely relentless, and so easy to imagine how these parents have rationalized their way to wanting schools to open. Not to mention all the folks who are wary of the disparity between what rich and poor kids will experience if schools stay closed, or increased domestic violence etc etc

Again: no way I’d be sending my kids to school now. It’s too early for the risk/reward curve to point us towards spreading death. At this point I’d be focused on trying to get schools and communities to think more creatively about ways to reopen in some limited capacity. (And fwiw I think that the lack of creativity across the board has been jawdropping.)

Imo if you want to actually land punches in this argument then—as tempting and as delicious as it would absolutely be—a sign essentially calling fellow parents murderers is not gonna win the room. I can be pretty emo about life, but this right here is def a spot for logic, for example replying to the “if chuck e cheese is open why aren’t the schools open?” parent with: 1. I don’t think Chuck E. Cheese should be open; 2. sending your kid to school isn’t as optional as sending them to pizza; 3. The fact that kids are even going to Chuck E Cheese right now makes me way less enthusiastic about having my kids go to school with those kids.

If somebody stood up and said those points respectfully in real-time at a townhall, then they’re going to be cheered like Al Pacino in the last scene of that HOOAH movie and they might even have sex again that night

14 Likes

looooOOOOOoooOOooool.

I mean, c’mon, I know everyone wants to laugh at this clown. Doesn’t mean I want him to die a miserable and painful death for being so stupid.

We must have stopped testing! Ol’ Donnie Dumb Dumb isn’t going to like this!

There’s a lot more of this conversation here:

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1288505636557328390?s=20

2 Likes

Does anyone else think Louie Gohmert is a hilariously perfect name for this dumbfuck?

11 Likes

That’s exactly what we’re doing.

The way we went about it… well, the wife and I are very social and in the before time we threw dinner parties and BBQ’s pretty regularly. Most of our friends come from my daughter’s classmates, so we already had relationships with these people. We evaluated them all and determined that two other families were taking things as seriously as us (one family had 2 family members die early on from Covid in another state, the other family the father is a safety guy and is serious - does a 5 point safety inspection of any hotel they stay at). We’ve been shuffling the kids around to each other’s houses the past month or so, and we’re just going to continue that when the school year starts (we’re all doing distance learning). I’ve written the principal of the school to try to get the 3 of them in the same class so they’re doing the same work.

The key to make it work is communication. Anytime one of the families has to do something questionable they communicate it to the others and we’re able to judge the risk. For example, the family that lost the 2 family members is scattering the ashes this weekend and has some family coming in town to do that. They’re going to self-quarantine from the group for 2 weeks before they start back up with us again.

With all of us working from home it’s been a real lifesaver having the kids over here or at the other houses. They’re all single female children so it’s difficult to get work done when you’re they’re only playmates…

5 Likes

Minister of Education is adamant that school start on time in the Czech Republic. He is supposed to have that plan by the first week of August.

Given that things continue to get worse, having school would be a terrible idea. But like sports in America, they’ll try anyway.

Louie Gomer should be charged with a fucking crime at this point

1 Like

No need to all pyle on Gomer about this.

13 Likes

You will almost certainly have to relax your standards a little to find other families. It’s going to be a compromise. We found one family more strict than us and one slightly less strict. We have found a way to meet in the middle that we are all happy with.

You will increase your risk, no doubt. But, given the right families, it is a risk worth taking, imo. Kids need other kids. The reward is social, emotional, and academic growth for all kids involved (and the parents too!).

1 Like

Imagine being a smart kid and begging your deplorable parents NOT to take u to Chuck e Cheese

Just verbally. We trust that they’re going to do the right thing and inform us if they don’t. We keep good communication lines. And it’s a bit easier for us as none of the families work in any high risk industries like healthcare or public facing businesses.

I think it inherently raises our risk slightly, but it’s something we can accept for what we think is the upside for our daughter (and us, if I’m being honest).

The good news of it is that we had a BBQ with the other families last week and it was just like normal as we’ve already vetted each other to be safe.

ETA: Also, what @cassette said above.

2 Likes

I was on the fence about Madonna until now.
https://twitter.com/sarahcpr/status/1288521738641342473

It’s so amazing how she’s always reinventing herself!

13 Likes

When you’re young and nuts it’s just kind of cute. Old and nuts, you’re just nuts. Unless you’re famous. Or rich. So I guess I’m back on the fence.

1 Like

I’m watching this tech congressional hearing and Gym Jordan just got yelled at to put a mask on by a couple congresscritters. He of course puts it on with his nose showing. Great work!

The study published Monday in JAMA Cardiology details the results of cardiac MRI exams of 100 recovered coronavirus patients. Twenty-eight of them required oxygen supplementation while fighting the virus, while just two were on ventilators. But 78 of them still had cardiovascular abnormalities after recovery, with 60 of them showing “ongoing myocardial inflammation,” the study shows. These conditions appeared to be independent of case severity and pre-existing conditions, though JAMA researchers note these findings need a larger study.