COVID-19: Chapter 4 - OPEN FOR BUSINESS

Are all of the quoted food safety experts beholden to Trump? Seems like conspiratorial nonsense. Obviously anyone on the Task Force, or who reports directly to Trump, should be looked at with a jaundiced eye. I don’t think civil service pros or non-Trump people should be. My understanding is that they all share the same general consensus regarding food safety.

Wash your hands thoroughly, and avoid sick people, same as it ever was.

Cliffs: abolish all buffets (except ACE sushi which is made to order so does not count)

I don’t think the worldwide expert scientific consensus has been all that bad considering this is a novel virus.

The most significant errors have come from the data modeling community (both in under and over-estimating the severity to date), but they have an excuse in that modeling this precisely is really difficult given how a slight change in inputs/assumptions changes the model significantly and there are unknown behavioral aspects that cannot be controlled for very well.

The people running these agencies have suppressed data and reports. Sometimes they get leaked. Maybe they always get leaked, I don’t know. No way to know.

This entire fucking administration is beholden to Trump. If you’re not, they show you the door. That’s why Michael Flynn is going to be a free man soon. That’s why there is no oversight or accountability at the executive branch level. You go against daddy’s wishes, and he rips you a new asshole on Twitter and shows you the door. That’s pretty fucking clear at this point.

[quote=“anachronistic, post:1081, topic:1764, full:true”]
Obviously anyone on the Task Force, or who reports directly to Trump, should be looked at with a jaundiced eye. [/quote]

You mean like the heads of the CDC and FDA?

Yeah just looping back, civil servants don’t decide what goes on the CDC website or in a press release. They pass it up the chain of command, and the political appointees make those decisions.

Regarding the last sentence, avoid sick people - given asymptomatic spread - means avoid everyone. Not avoid the people you want to avoid, avoid everyone. So you don’t get to avoid the in laws but invite the delivery guy over to drop off your pizza, and then still claim you’re avoiding sick people.

That’s not what I asked, you shifted the goalposts.

My understanding is that initial viral load received is an important factor in the severity of the symptoms, and that asymptomatic carriers (as could be expected from the first clause) carry low viral loads.

One question I did have was whether asymptomatic carriers can develop symptoms, if so, how long after demonstrating no symptoms could they possibly develop symptoms, and then how serious would those symptoms be.

Citation? Pretty sure you’re 100% wrong on this.’

Yes, that’s how incubation periods work. Average incubation period is believed to be 5.7 days, IIRC, and most are in the 3-14 day range - some have been longer. I’ve seen no studies on any correlation between length of incubation period and severity of case or viral load.

Oh for love of everything that is holy and good can you all please stop on the take-out debate. Or excise it. Or something.

Oh my fucking god.

16 Likes

I figured midday would be a decent time to get to the grocery since it’s usually busy in the morning or after work. Well it’s packed and seems to me like most people are over social distancing. Actually the mask wearing isn’t too bad, much better than my initial impression, but still too many people without and a lot of cramming into aisles.

Like I’m with JT on this. If you want to get takeout, fucking get takeout. If you want to get delivery, do it. But don’t lie to yourself about it being risk-free. It’s not, just use some fucking logic here.

Like the CDC originally said no masks were needed, they wouldn’t do any good, healthcare workers needed them. Uhh, what? If they don’t do any good, why do healthcare workers need them? Duh!

The task force is a sham at this point, our government is trying to hide data from us. Why? Because the 1%ers need us all to go back to work so they can keep making money. Governments have always lied to their people during pandemics and covered up the risks as much as possible to keep the interests of the politicians and the wealthy paramount. It’s what happened almost globally in 1918, and now we’re watching it play out in real time here.

So if you want to cite the CDC and FDA as gospel, well, it’s still a free country for now so you can do that… I guess you might as well also cite the DOJ’s takes on presidential immunity as gospel, though.

What, you don’t trust the government’s experts on justice and law in America? You don’t say…

3 Likes

Most of my normal friends (so mostly 28-35 year old college educated liberals) are in, “We’re all going to get it, it’ll be fine,” mode now. I suspect we’re going to see shit get pretty out of control here in another month or two and the entire world will be aghast at the hubris and stupidity of America.

Really, the rest of the world shouldn’t be surprised. The surprising thing is that we managed to be this stupid and arrogant about our invincibility for so many years without walking over a cliff. We’re finally getting what’s coming to us now, and it’s going to be spectacularly bad.

1 Like

Asymptomatic carriers are obviously more effective spreaders b/c they do so insidiously and unknowingly.

I’m looking for viral load correlation to severity of acquired covid, but it seems intuitive that Really Sick Person A sneezes on Person B that Person B would get a higher viral load than if Mildly Sick Person C sneezes on Person B. Especially so if social distancing measures are in place; the atmosphere would diffuse the viral load of the less sick person more effectively than the very sick person. Isn’t this why hospitals got hit hardest with fatality rate? Full of really sick people in close quarters.

1 Like

So as part of a project I’m on, I had to make a survey for all our contact centre staff about how they are doing working from home.

Answers were crazy positive about home working. Like legit “this has changed my life. I’m happier. I sleep more. I exercise. I spend time with my kids. My marriage is better. My stress levels are lower. I’m more productive. I can concentrate better. I love it”

I knew it was gonna be positive. But this was 350 comments like the above.

The world of office work has changed for ever. Absolute no way people are gonna accept going back to the old world. There would be riots.

9 Likes

We don’t really know regarding the viral load. It goes beyond viral load in the body. Asymptomatic people may shed more virus from the throat than people who are very sick, so just talking and breathing spread it. Once it’s more in the lungs, you may have to cough to spread it - or maybe it’s still in their throats, too. We just don’t really know.

Regarding hospital fatality rates, I assume you mean among staff. They’re doing high-risk procedures in terms of spread, like venting people. They’re constantly exposed. Beyond that, we don’t really know. It’s likely viral load matters and it’s likely they’re getting a much higher viral load if they get it. But we don’t know for sure.

Back to the point at hand, I’ve seen zero data or research on the viral load of asymptomatic carriers.

I agree.

I disagree. They’ll do what they’re told. It’s going to change because the powers that be are going to realize the drop off in efficiency wasn’t so bad, and they can save a ton on overhead costs by letting people mostly work from home.

4 Likes

I just came back from the grocery store here in NH and probably 80% of customers had on masks, and only one person (white guy in his 50s w/o a mask) got too close behind me. I stared at him, and he backed up and then kept his distance.

For fuck’s sake nobody thinks it’s entirely risk free. Or if they do, they are too stupid to bother arguing with anyway.

And I promise, this is my last time posting about this.

And they will also find some way to lower payroll by hiring remotely in lower cost of living areas.

2 Likes

Everyone should just wear this t shirt people will keep their distance then.

6 Likes