COVID-19: Chapter 4 - OPEN FOR BUSINESS

Goddamnit just call me PonyAbuser

Sorry to hear this. People in this state fucking suck. We’re trying to do things virtually and had clients who are 77 and 72 who insisted on coming in to our office. Naturally they don’t wear masks (we do) and they’re going out to eat every single day. I just don’t get why these people loving being part of a death cult.

The next phase is right-wing nutjobs showing up at the hospital with guns because there are no ventilators left - demanding to take an illegal off of one and give it to their mom.

No one will ever remember they thought the whole thing was a hoax. Or maybe the original was a hoax but the antifa protestors brought in a new much deadlier virus.

6 Likes

I’ve posted the same theory a bunch - not that I came up with it first either.

Stim,

Fermi more or less knew how big the galaxy and universe are.

2 Likes

This is accounted for in the paradox. Or as micro put it

1 Like

I assumed he/they did, I just don’t get why they don’t realize the size of the universe is the filter.

I mean even if there is super intelligent life 100,000 light years away it would still take 100k+ years for them to even send us a signal right?

But they could easily have sent a signal 100k years ago or 100m years ago or 5 billion years ago.

1 Like

Now if they spent 100 years sending out signals before they killed themselves off it might be a needle in a haystack, but what if they sent signals for a million years?

Also a needle in a haystack.

:v:

Tell it to Enrico Fermi.

It’s not like anyone think he did a proof. It was just some educated guessing.

https://twitter.com/sheriantoinette/status/1272146291250933760
https://twitter.com/sheriantoinette/status/1272146292182056960

2 Likes

I mean maybe they did and we couldn’t hear it yet. Even assuming its continuous what are the chances it’d even come near where we can hear? Space is fucking HUGE.

Like even if they were sending a signal right now what are the chance it’d come across where we can hear? Considering how big the universe is we can’t hear very far, the signal might have passed 20 galaxies over or w/;e.

I dunno I’m not smart enough to have this conversation but I feel like its way more likely the universe is too big compared to no intelligent life existing anywhere else.

I remember hearing once that the maximum range we can detect with SETI with any kind of conceivable alien transmission is about 30 light years, a tiny fraction of the Galaxy.

Hey we broke the 10,000 case barrier in the Czech Republic! We also had a 4.5 percent positive test rate too!

Masks soon to no longer be mandatory indoors here.

The last time we had this Fermi convo @anon10396289 had some good concrete numbers.

The universe is big yes but I don’t think you’re giving enough consideration to how long the universe has been around and how many planets there are.

But there should be evidence. Once a civilization can travel in space, it only takes a few million years to travel the galaxy. And we are talking about civilizations that arose billions of years ago. Hell, a nice planet like Earth should have been stripped of resources long before we got here.

Any civilisation that can travel between stars doesn’t need to strip a habitable planet for resources. The answer I like is what is described in Liu Cixin’s book ‘The Dark Forest’ in that civilisations fear each other because the only guarantee for another advanced civilisation not to destroy you is for you to destroy them first. So everyone keeps quiet as to not to show themselves and get attacked. Which means us sending out signals to find other intelligent life is only going to get us killed.

1 Like

“This virus is not going to rest” until it infects about 60 percent to 70 percent of the population, Dr. Michael T. Osterholm, the director of the Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy at the University of Minnesota, said on “Fox News Sunday.”

Experts have estimated that without a vaccine, about 70 percent of the population will need to be infected and develop immunity in order to stop the virus’s spread, a concept called herd immunity. The number of confirmed American cases now exceeds 2 million, less than 1 percent of the U.S. population, according to the Johns Hopkins Covid-19 Dashboard and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

1 Like