COVID-19: Chapter 4 - OPEN FOR BUSINESS

New York City did a new antibody study of 8,000 people in lower income neighborhoods. 27% tested positive.

1 Like

Seems like that would be about right. Didn’t you post some data yesterday about a NYC zip code where over 1% of the entire population had already died from Covid-19? It would be interesting to see what the percentage there have antibodies. You would hope it would be closer to 70-80% than 27%.

https://mobile.twitter.com/DKThomp/status/1263139300016828417

1 Like

Denmark basically doesn’t have any large cities. Copenhagen metro area is barely over 1m people. I think a combination of lack of density plus it isn’t like Denmark’s R today is the same as what it was March 1 due to voluntary measures and still some restrictions is the likely answer. I think we will see that just about everywhere over the next couple of months.

ETA-Denmark also had a very small outbreak. At the peak they had under 400 new cases a day. It is probably much easier to keep things under control when you now have under 100 new cases a day to contact trace as well than the places with thousands or tens of thousands of cases.

1 Like

I guess I have to take this one for team weather makes a difference. We know a lot of viruses tend to be seasonal, although science doesn’t definitively understand why. The Spanish Flu took the summer off, SARS disappeared in the summer.

One speculation I’ve heard multiple times is that going from cold, dry air outside - to hot, dry, artificially-heated air inside really wreaks havoc with your mucus membranes and makes them more susceptible to a virus taking hold. Also possibly a lack of vitamin D from getting less sunshine.

There has been some epidemiological suggestion that covid has a sweet spot in cold, dry air around 25-50 degrees. While temperature when controlled for all by itself doesn’t look correlated, absolute humidity may be weakly correlated. Absolute humidity is the amount of water vapor in the air. Hot air can hold a lot more water vapor.

Also the Department of Homeland Security did a study in supposedly one of only two labs in the world capable of doing this kind of thing. They found the virus doesn’t particularly like heat and humidity, and really hates sunshine - as do most viruses.

None of this of course means the virus is just going to disappear for the summer or that you can’t get it in a hot, humid place. But it could mean the R0 number drops enough that things muddle for longer than they would if cities were colder with less duration and intensity of sunshine.

2 Likes

Increase of 6 percent from Sunday not bad for a Tuesday.

https://mobile.twitter.com/dallasnews/status/1262872663523053570

2 Likes

Just the dumbest fucking sentence. This shit makes me so mad. How can you be alive at this point and not understand this shit can be asymptomatic for weeks?

Going to get lit this weekend!

https://mobile.twitter.com/FOX4/status/1262827866468712448

https://mobile.twitter.com/dallasnews/status/1262826346335678464

While touching infected surfaces has always been part of the messaging on how the virus spreads, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recently shifted its stance online. The CDC now says that COVID-19 spreads from person to person contact, and then lists touching infected surfaces under a section titled, “The virus does not spread easily in other ways.” The CDC adds: “This is not thought to be the main way the virus spreads, but we are still learning more about this virus.” The language is a subtle change from the organization’s warning in early March, when it wrote simply that it “may be possible” to spread the virus through contaminated surfaces.

Bad news for team wash your hands.

But great news for team takeout!

11 Likes

I propose an immediate ban on group hugs in meat packing plants and prisons.

5 Likes

Take it at least one step further. There will be people out there that are symptomatic and simply don’t care.

https://twitter.com/joegoodmanjr/status/1263163150809079808?s=21

WHO reporting the largest worldwide number of daily new cases today. Good that this is almost over and we can get OPEN FOR BUSINESS.

1 Like

What’s so insane is that from a political perspective, stuff like this is a slam dunk for most leaders. Say something to bring people together. Say other stuff about how we have to help each other out. End with something about America being the greatest country in the world and how we’ll overcome this as a stronger nation. Then God Bless America and approval ratings go up!

The leading Czech party, ANO, was getting its ass handed to them before the pandemic and then their handling of it gave them their highest approval rating in the last 12 months. Because of that, people don’t even remember the PM committing subsidy fraud against the EU or being a member of the Czechoslovak secret police and quelling democratic uprisings in the 80s.

I mean this whole thing was supposed to be the perfect situation for whitewashing past scandals. I mean Hungary used it to create the EU’s first dictatorship. Trump’s administration could have used it to basically lock in a second term. But his mishandling squandered the opportunity. If Bush didn’t squander his absurdly high approval rating post-9/11 by botching the Middle East, he probably could have become dictator.

1 Like

How can restaurants generate a profit at just 50% capacity? The profit margins are so thin that they pretty much rely on having a near full house at night. Restaurant owners in the CR were complaining about how social distancing post state of emergency was going to wreck their business since they wouldn’t be able to fill their restaurants like they used to.

1 Like

The reality is that most probably can’t. Maybe, through some combination of (a) even more aggressively streamlined menus to control costs and focus on high margin items and (b) increased takeout business (especially in areas of the country where takeout/delivery was not that common before) some places can make it work, but I’d be very surprised.

The future is celebrity chefs slapping their names on ghost kitchen food brought to you by UberEats, imo…