COVID-19: Chapter 4 - OPEN FOR BUSINESS

https://mobile.twitter.com/thehill/status/1264862801316712454

Haha freedom ($@$%^~<

3 Likes

Anecdotally mask wearing is way down here. And it was never that good in the first place. Freedom!

2 Likes

It’s interesting, there was almost zero take-up of mask-wearing here among non Asian people (many Asians wear masks when they are sick even pre-COVID), because by the time it became clear masks were effective, the Australian outbreak was already on the decline. Nobody was ever worried enough about it to get any. As a result I wonder if we might find it hard to convince people to start if we have a flare-up at any point.

I was an early mask wearer in aus when it was weird enough to get looks.

I still wear mine to the supermarkets. Normally 90% of Asians in masks and a few others. Just enough that I don’t stand out.

It was much higher just at the start of the lockdown.

And my prize for predicting a global world wide calamity before 99.9% of the world… is…

This shout out from you…

Somehow we got to find a way to monetize the braintrust here.

EDIT.

On the other hand. Given I we couldn’t know aus was gonna luckbox it. Taking early precautions probably earned my 80 year old dad a couple of sklansky years of life expectancy.

4 Likes

You needed to buy puts on airline and cruise stocks, calls on Zoom and Amazon, etc…

1 Like

Never mind this. I thought they studied 35 asymptomatic carriers with 455 contacts, but apparently they actually only studied one carrier. It’s confusing how it’s written in the abstract but obviously if it’s only one carrier they studied I’m not sure why it’s even being published.

1 Like

Hey, just because John Walker was afraid of fire is no reason for me to not make a little money selling books of matches. Your analysis is like a free polio vaccine.

https://mobile.twitter.com/TheEconomist/status/1264915135136698370

Virginia doing well. 250 more new cases today(1483) than their previous all time high. Also one hell of a new case curve over time:

I’m torn. It is raining here which usually puts a damper on big holiday plans but I assume everyone will make it worse and congregate inside.

Outbreaks of COVID-19 have struck nine industrial facilities in Vernon, including five meatpacking plants, Los Angeles County health officials said Sunday.

The largest outbreak occurred at the Smithfield Foods-owned Farmer John plant — producer of the beloved Dodger Dog — where 153 of 1,837 employees tested positive for COVID-19 between March and May, the Department of Public Health said.

Though Vernon has just a few dozen residents and is almost exclusively industrial, workers who have contracted the virus in the city just south of Los Angeles could spread it in their own communities, the county warned. On Sunday, health officials reported 940 new cases of the novel coronavirus and 14 related deaths countywide.

Did a little food shopping today:

Around 25% of people in my neighborhood wore masks outside despite it no longer being mandatory. If you combine that with the people who had a mask visibly on them but not wearing it, then it’s safe to say that the majority of people in the CR are wearing masks in some circumstances.

The vast majority of people in the small stores I went into were wearing masks though there were a few who weren’t even though they are still required in stores where social distancing cannot be guaranteed.

I have to wonder if people have become attached to them in the same way that a baby might have a blanket that they refuse to let go of.

900 new cases in Florida today. I think they usually update in the evening so I wonder if that number will go up.

Or down

9 Likes

Wait, fuckmuffin is worried about giving o2 to bad ideas and conspiracies? I mean like bad ideas and conspiracies comprise about 99% of the content of the forum that he moderates.

4 Likes

TBF 97% of that 99% is one poster.

Yeah, it’s kind of sad that it seems like that part is being left out. I can definitely see this being the case. The urgent care I did my “tele-visit” with just had me fill out a questionnaire that I said I had a sore throat occasionally and a low grade fever that was not over 100.4. They sent me a work release to go back to work in 2 days and said it was a sinus infection that should go away with some allergy medicine and ibuprofen. Sounds like the hairdresser could have followed the steps correctly and it sounds like great clips did as well. Judging by some of the reactions on the Springfield-Greene county health Facebook page I’d say cox urgent care clinic should be getting most of the blame for this.

Apparently that hairdresser was cleared to go back to work at Great Clips by an urgent care clinic. This is a poster on CP relaying their experience with one. Pretty awesome that apparently an urgent care clinic can give you the go ahead to go back to work with a tele-visit.

1 Like
3 Likes