COVID-19: Chapter 10 - Mission Achomlished!

Officials tested each returning passenger three times in nearby Fiji, required that they be vaccinated, and put them in quarantine with additional testing when they arrived home.
It wasn’t enough.
More than half the passengers tested positive for the virus, which has now slipped out into the community and prompted the government to declare a state of disaster.

1 Like

Wow, somehow Mormonism was only the second worst thing they were trying to spread.

9 Likes

https://twitter.com/trvrb/status/1487105396879679488?s=21

I opted not to pull that detail out because the flight had non missionaries and everyone aboard were actually Kiribati citizens.

Don’t let facts get in the way of a joke, imo.

2 Likes

Citation needed.

If it’s so obvious it should be easy to support

Lol. I mean, we can all play this game:

Are vaccinated people more likely to be socially responsible and therefore take a test? Yes.
Are vaccinated people more likely to believe covid exists and therefore take a test? Yes
Are vaccinated people more likely to fear covid and therefore take a test when symptomatic? Yes.

There’s a reason we don’t confirm things by thinking about them.

3 Likes

It’s perfectly fair to confirm things by thinking about them, the problem is that it’s not so straightforward here and there’s a lot of confounding variables.

Therefore, the person claiming something needs to cite something

1 Like

I mean, I think proposing a hypothesis by thinking about it is fine, but there’s a reason the scientific method has withstood the test of time.

It really depends heavily on what the “thing” is.

I don’t htink anyone’s disputing that testing and tracing are not good. Churchill’s claim that “testing and tracing are not good therefore vaxxed cases are being undercounted relative to unvaxxed cases” is what requires a citation.

They don’t need to be accurate, they need to be consistent relative to total case numbers. We know there’s an ascertainment bias, and we know it can fluctuate. But the case numbers give us a very good general idea of whether cases are moving up or down, and where they are relative to past points in time.

Regardless of whether the test totals are skewed by behavior or the impacts of the vaccine, as long as those factors stay relatively consistent, the case numbers give us a gauge of what’s happening.

2 Likes

… I’ve been saying test & trace is pointless for quite a while now…

1 Like

There is no reason to think you can’t still look at case trends, as Commonwealth indicated. For example, in March and April and May of 2020 testing was more fucked then it is now but you could still look at trends and see when cases were rising and cases were falling.

This is a very different claim than what Churchill was making. You don’t get to go, “Testing is undercounting cases, therefore the number of asymptomatic infections in the vaccinated is limited only by my imagination.”

1 Like

My wife got omicron but I didn’t. I have two shots of Moderna. I’m 2-0 vs Delta/Omicron with full exposure to both. Tested negative on multiple PCRs both times. How rare is that? I usually get sick easily.

8 Likes

The best way to know whether cases are rising or falling isn’t with testing numbers, but simply by reading this thread.

The more esoteric the squabbles the safer it is to lick your coworkers.

Looks licking season draws near!

9 Likes

It’s not even that unusual for people co-habitating to somehow avoid passing it on.

Not that uncommon at all:

Of course, maybe you were just a double-secret covid case who tested negative multiple times AND never developed symptoms but still should somehow be counted as a case.

If the testing data is all bullshit, then whatever point Chruch was trying to make by posting testing data is surely also bullshit.